Recall

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
If anyone gets the airbags done in the Northeast please shout out.
Me and a buddy need it done.
Thnx

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I removed the dash panel myself with the help of my son and few helpful hints from Ryan at Cool Tech LLC (thanks Ryan!), not a difficult job at all but does require patience and know where to place your fingers and give a slight tug to dis-engage the retaining clips. I'm no expert by any means but I found the following helpful:

Pull back and slightly out of the way the weather strips next to the lower side of the lower dash panel (no need to remove it).

Dis-engage the passenger side lower clips first (note 1: don't remove the panel, just a slight tug to dis-engage the lower clips, have someone you trust hold the panel against gravity)

Dis-engage the driver side second (same as note 1 above) and work your way to the right and towards the area above the radio and keep going towards the passenger side until all clips are dis-engaged.

I found the section above the radio to be easier to dis-engage using the method above, again make sure you have someone holding for support as this area is the thinnest and prone to de-form or break.

The most nerve racking part is removing the metal supporting panel as the clips are hanging to what looks like a cardboard box material, and these 3 clips push away from you (towards the front of the car) to dis-engage (two hands for each clips, one to hold on the non metal part and one to push the panel away from the non metal part (see picture below). Apparently my lower dash panel have an expiration date :rofl. (picture below as well).

I don't see how the passenger side airbag module can be removed without removing the lower dash panel. I went as far as I want to go and will leave the rest to the dealer's tech. One note: The passenger side air bag module's retaining 2 bolts are a pain to get to so hopefully the tech have some surgical tools to access them. :cheers

Lower Dash FGT.jpg

lower Dash part no.jpg

metal bracket.jpg

Last edited:

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Most of the lower panel can be taken off using your fingers. In the pictures below you can see where all the clips are located and the mechanism on the tabs that engage the mild steel backing plates attached to the car.

The hardest ones to disengage are those between the steering column and the air bag panel. For those you will need a plastic prying tool. I have several and found the wide 2 inch version worked best along the top boundary line .

vy5ws0.jpg

You probably want a microfiber towel between the upper dash and the tool for protection. I don't think blue tape is enough.

You can't reach everything from one side so if someone is there to catch the opposite side as it comes loose, that will help it from bending too much as it lets go. The bottom and sides are all doable with finger pressure.

30j1l06.jpg

263ar8j.jpg

When you say with your figures do you mean reaching behind the dash and pinching the spring part of the clip and pulling the panel out? If so are there any of the top ones that can be reached to do this?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
This is a long debate. I took mine to the dealer. Completed the steering wheel airbag in about 30 minutes (twice ) and the Passenger side in about 40 minutes.
done . no issue.. 'easy peasy'...
andy (ajb)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
When you say with your figures do you mean reaching behind the dash and pinching the spring part of the clip and pulling the panel out? If so are there any of the top ones that can be reached to do this?

Exactly. The most difficult to reach are the upper clips between the gauges and the A/C vents. If you start on the sides, you the panel will flex a bit that will help you access those. If I recall, I got down to one clip in that area I couldn't reach and I got lucky and it just released with a little tug of the panel.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
This is a long debate. I took mine to the dealer. Completed the steering wheel airbag in about 30 minutes (twice ) and the Passenger side in about 40 minutes.
done . no issue.. 'easy peasy'...
andy (ajb)
Agreed and free and they enter it as done. So the car title will be free of recalls as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk