• 20180217_165948.jpg
    20180217_165948.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 331

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have that one. Fits and works perfect. Looks OEM.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I've got a new one that matches our car from Guyett Performance $495 shipped

I am interested if OP isn't.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
How does a guy decide if the car really needs one of these? Is there a certain amount of boost/power that makes it more important than for a stock set up?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
How does a guy decide if the car really needs one of these? Is there a certain amount of boost/power that makes it more important than for a stock set up?

You need one....PERIOD.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Ford modular motors are known to pass quite a bit of oil through the passenger side PCV hose.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I've got a new one that matches our car from Guyett Performance $495 shipped

PM sent

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I have that one. Fits and works perfect. Looks OEM.

I'll give a second thumbs up for the Guyett model. Been very happy with mine.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'll give a second thumbs up for the Guyett model. Been very happy with mine.

:agree:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
You need one....PERIOD.
Why? I did the track day at Rally 12 and did not lose any oil. I can't see that I would drive it that hard on the street.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Find it in the separator, or find it in the supercharger. Your choice.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
The can helps gather fine oil spray that robs horsepower and efficiency.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
these are a great idea for any boosted car. Even NA cars like the gt350

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
For those owners have a car that is using oil - *maybe* a catch can will help if that oil is from classical blow-by (as opposed to leaking, etc.)

Just ask yourself one question.... if you are not losing any oil, what are you going to catch?

Too many people are giddy that they're catch-can is working when they pull a couple of tablespoons of black murky liquid from them. Many times this is mostly comprised of a complex substance called H2O and would be burned without consequence by the engine. On a stock GT - or one with a common pulley/tune kit, my opinion is that there is absolutely no need. No doubt, someone will be jumping in to say how wrong I am. Don't bother. If you want me to show the calculations of how silly they are, I can.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
For those owners have a car that is using oil - *maybe* a catch can will help if that oil is from classical blow-by (as opposed to leaking, etc.)

Just ask yourself one question.... if you are not losing any oil, what are you going to catch?

Too many people are giddy that they're catch-can is working when they pull a couple of tablespoons of black murky liquid from them. Many times this is mostly comprised of a complex substance called H2O and would be burned without consequence by the engine. On a stock GT - or one with a common pulley/tune kit, my opinion is that there is absolutely no need. No doubt, someone will be jumping in to say how wrong I am. Don't bother. If you want me to show the calculations of how silly they are, I can.

:bow OK, fair enough Kendall.....I'm silly.

I will strive to refrain from posting and/or purchasing anything and wait for your future pronouncements forthwith. Will these edicts be coming once a month, a quarter, yearly, or simply your whimsy?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Will these edicts be coming once a month, a quarter, yearly, or simply your whimsy?

My pleasure. I can offer a subscription plan for any of the above. Just a matter of how much wisdom you can absorb.

As an advocate, why don't you enlighten us on how much "oil" you catch across what mileage interval?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Why? I did the track day at Rally 12 and did not lose any oil. I can't see that I would drive it that hard on the street.

I concur. I had one on my supercharger in my Mustang and after 8000 miles of spirited driving it had only a teaspoon. It amounted to a few drops every thousand miles. The speed shop guy at Shelby American said it this way: If you have anything more than a very small amount in it then you have a bigger problem. Maybe that's OK. But if you're getting lots of engine oil blow-by certainly there will be other indications.

It won't be in the supercharger, it will be in the intercooler. I had to pull my supercharger to rebuild the bearings and the supercharger and intercooler was clean.

Think about it: If it were essential then wouldn't Ford have put it on there to begin with?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We've pulled many GT Superchargers. (A prerequisite to installing a pulley/tune which is likely one of the most popular GT mods in GT-land.) Some look like the pic that sinovac posted, some are fairly dry and most are in-between.

But let's look at the that catch-can "results" referenced in that older thread. In that picture... it sure doesn't look like 1/3 cup, but let's pretend that it is. What horrors are we really subjecting the engine to?

Author of that thread "Caught" 1/3 of a cup across 5000 miles
1 cup = 48 teaspoons; 1/3 cup = 16 teaspoons

1 Teaspoon = ~100 drops; 16 teaspoons = 1600 drops
1600 drops across 5000 miles = 1600/5000 = 0.32 drops per mile (oh the tragedy!)

Assumption: GT is averaging 16 mpg
1 mile = 1/16 gallons of gasoline is consumed
128 ounces per gallon
1/16 gallon = 8 ounces
8 ounces = 48 teaspoons
1 teaspoon = 100 drops
Conclusion: GT @ 16 mpg (avg) burns approximately 4800 "drops" of gasoline per mile

While the engine is consuming 4800 drops of fuel/mile, the catch can "saved" the engine from having to ingest 0.32 drops of blow-by.

Viewed differently, had this been forced down the throat of the engine, compared to fuel being consumed, it represents 0.32/4800 = .0000666; or .0067%

Not all that compelling to me to spend money to solve a problem that simply doesn't exist.

(I think the argument changes when you talk about bigger boost from Whipples or turbos as the added pressures will definitely increase blow-by and it *may* get it into the range where you want to be pro-active about it.)