Possible gas tax hike

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Moderators if this is posted in the wrong area please feel free to move it.

http://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...EAuwQFggdMAM&usg=AOvVaw321LGRUwOLe0O778HCey0p

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Highly likely. They also need to factor in some road use tax for electric vehicles. They use the highways and cause just as much wear as gas or diesel vehicles.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I agree with Tony on this one!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
i'm curious why they don't use fuel tax more to control our national debt? Even the people who don't pay taxes drive vehicles, so do the people who are on welfare and such.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
FYI My cost of Chevron 94 in Cranbrook BC' when I filled up my RS today, was $150.9 a litre which works out to $5.08 USD for the Volume of a US gallon. Up in Canada our fuel taxes are crazy. Carbon tax and all kinds of tax add ons. BTW The RS is a friggin delight to drive in the mountain passes....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am behind gas tax to rebuild our infrastructure and as BMF suggested, I would support it reduce our debt.

Here in Washington, one party controls all 3 houses of government. We are going to, if they get what they want, Institute a carbon tax in order to grow government, hike government pay scales and solve societal inequities.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I am behind gas tax to rebuild our infrastructure and as BMF suggested, I would support it reduce our debt.

Here in Washington, one party controls all 3 houses of government. We are going to, if they get what they want, Institute a carbon tax in order to grow government, hike government pay scales and solve societal inequities.

Just yesterday the Washington legislator's "found another $1.3 billion dollars" and the carbon tax will "only" be used to reduce carbon production. While the "find" was a headline catch phrase, but, because is came from the politicians ...I don't believe a word of it.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I would be in favor of added gasoline tax if I could be assured of the funds being used for roadbed , roads, bridges, tunnels etc.
And that the funds would be used in perpetuity for only those improvements and upgrades.
But, I do not trust Government. I especially do not trust liberals and Democrats and I can see this tax being used for social programs, HUD housing, food stamps... you name it...I could go on and on...after the first year. It will be pilfered just like Social Security has been.
Andy (ajb)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I would be in favor of added gasoline tax if I could be assured of the funds being used for roadbed , roads, bridges, tunnels etc.
And that the funds would be used in perpetuity for only those improvements and upgrades.
But, I do not trust Government. I especially do not trust liberals and Democrats and I can see this tax being used for social programs, HUD housing, food stamps... you name it...I could go on and on...after the first year. It will be pilfered just like Social Security has been.
Andy (ajb)

Only if every dollar goes to a pre-approved new road spec designed and warranted to last 20+ years, and the contractor is fully bonded.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just yesterday the Washington legislator's "found another $1.3 billion dollars" and the carbon tax will "only" be used to reduce carbon production. While the "find" was a headline catch phrase, but, because is came from the politicians ...I don't believe a word of it.

Jeff, what we are witnessing right now is nothing more than a mad cash grab. The level of it is what is shocking me, and I have lived in the state since 1966.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
An old Forbes article stating that when Congress passed a hike in the gas tax in 1990 only 1/2 of the increased revenues were dedicated to highways and infrastructure. The last increase in 1993 again didn't specifically dedicate that all the monies collected to be for highways and infrastructure. Washington at it's finest.

http://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...bBo4QFgg-MAc&usg=AOvVaw2Zk-uHOndbSWfO7TyPfAda

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I've never seen a tax get smaller, and I've never seen a government have more money then they can spend/waste if necessary to make sure they get next years full allotment. Either party. It would be different if you could look around at most any government run operations and say, wow, they are really doing a great job on that amount of money. Until then, no new taxes will I agree to.