Gen 2 Ahlman Engineering Ohlins

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Hello Everyone,

This post is intended to introduce the second generation of Ahlman Engineering Ohlins 05-06 Ford GT Coil-Overs. We are calling them “Gen 2” to designate the new system. This post is also meant to highlight the Gen 2 improvements, what stays the same, timing for Gen 2 availability, pricing and free upgrades for Gen 1 Owners.

Gen1-2APCoilover_V3.JPG

Ahlman Engineering stopped production of our first generation Ohlins 05-06 Ford GT Coil-Overs in 2016. This stoppage was due to our workload in IndyCar, planned updates to the system to improve them for the customer and our ability to continue to deliver this high-quality product. In the process, we have moved these coil-overs under Ahlman Performance, which focuses on products only like these Ohlins 05-06 Ford GT Coil-Overs for customers like yourselves. At the same time, Ahlman Engineering will continue to deliver top quality engineering service in motorsports and the automotive OEM world.

Why Gen 2
Why has Ahlman Performance redesigned its Ohlins coil-overs for the 05-06 Ford GT?
We redesigned these coil-overs for four primary reasons:
1. Serviceability
2. Adjustability
3. Manufacturing Process
4. Aesthetics

What Remains the Same
We have insured that the following strong attributes of the Ahlman Performance Ohlins Gen 2 05-06 Ford GT Coil-Overs maintains or exceeds the following behaviors of our Gen 1 system:
• Quality and Craftsmanship
• Durability and Reliability
• Performance
• Package Compatibility
• Installation to the Ford GT

See www.AhlmanPerf.com for features and details.

Timing and Orders
Ahlman Performance is ready for order’s and deposits (50%) immediately. The coil-overs will be ready to ship late March 2018 based on the order deposits are received. Call Scott Ahlman at 608-333-7581 or email Scott at sahlman@AhlmanEng.com for orders or inquiries.

Gen 2 Pricing
Ahlman Performance Ohlins 2-Way Adjustable Shocks for the Ford GT
• $6,950 for a set of four

Ahlman Performance Ohlins 4-Way Adjustable Shocks for the Ford GT
• $9,300 for a set of four

Installed HyperCo main springs (to complete the coil-over) with thrust washers (to easily allow ride height adjustment)
• $660 for a set of four in stock HyperCo blue

Installed HyperCo helper springs with spacer (required on the rear springs of the RT-1 and RT-2 packages, as shown on the website for the four configurations available)
• $330 for a set of two in stock HyperCo blue

Upgrade of Gen 1 to Gen 2
Due to the longevity of the 05-06 Ford GT and the desire to keep our products common in the field, Ahlman Performance is offering a free upgrade of all Gen 1 Ahlman Engineering Ohlins 05-06 Ford GT Coil-Overs (new parts only) in which the customer only pays for shipping.
This free upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 2 runs for one year (through March 2019) at which time the upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 2 will cost $3,100.

Scott Ahlman

Reactions: Ed Sims

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
This is a FANTASTIC upgrade for our 05-06 GT's. The ride and comfort goes up as well as on track performance! Its a win win. Scott is a suspension genius. A huge added bonus is that the Ohlin shocks can be rebuilt providing years and years of service! I have had a set for a few years and would pull the trigger again in a heartbeat!

And if anyone is curious, absolutely, Ill be sending mine in for the upgrade!

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This is a FANTASTIC upgrade for our 05-06 GT's. The ride and comfort goes up as well as on track performance! Its a win win. Scott is a suspension genius. A huge added bonus is that the Ohlin shocks can be rebuilt providing years and years of service! I have had a set for a few years and would pull the trigger again in a heartbeat!

Yep, what he said.. I'm running a set of these on Helenor. Took it to the track after install, was amazed by the ride quailty and composure of the car..

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
That’s certainly an amazing/generous offer on the option for the product upgrade.

Nicely done Scott!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Agree on all accounts. Thank you for offering this upgrade Scott. I will certainly want to take advantage of the upgrade on my set. I have the two way adjustable and it is without doubt the best mod I have ever done. Noticeable ride difference does not begin to cover it. Those that do not have these should seriously consider it in my opinion.

Vince H

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I need a set of these! Thank you for offering these still. Ill be in touch at some point to get a set ordered.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Got them and will be getting the upgrade also. Thanks Scott...as always a first class product with stand behind the product service. Rarely seen these days.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I’ll be getting a set for sure! I’ve been waiting since Rally 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Scott,

Can you touch on the added adjustability from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2? I have the Gen 1 so am curious on the difference.

Thanks!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey Scott
Could you clarify the upgrade process? Does this require that we send the coil overs back to you or can the parts be sent to us and have the upgrade done by a local shop? Thanks!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

And if anyone is curious, absolutely, Ill be sending mine in for the upgrade!
Couldn’t agree more!
He is a chassis engineering genius! With a degree from MIT
Has been a huge help to me with set up my Gt3 cup car
Is a wonderful person I’m honored to call my friend.
Did I mention he’s the chassis engineer for the Honda IndyCar program
Oh and by the way his cars have won the Indy 500!
We are lucky to have him
And yes he was a chassis engineer on the GT program!
Plus we both totally admire and adore Tom Reichenbach!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
while the Ahlman's are beyond nice, I have a set of Penske's on ebay I'm selling for someone here on the forum. good price in my opinion. very low mileage take offs.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Scott,

Can you touch on the added adjustability from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2? I have the Gen 1 so am curious on the difference.

Thanks!

Sure - prior our design required special tools and up to an hour of effort to change out springs. The Gen 2 design takes minutes per spring without special tools beyond a spring compressor. Prior the parts had to be pressed out with specially made tools. Let me know if you have more questions.

Scott

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
I need a set of these! Thank you for offering these still. Ill be in touch at some point to get a set ordered.

Sounds great!

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Hey Scott
Could you clarify the upgrade process? Does this require that we send the coil overs back to you or can the parts be sent to us and have the upgrade done by a local shop? Thanks!

Hey Ed,

Yes it does require that you send your coil-overs back to me to upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

Scott

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Hey Guys,

Thank you for all of the strong endorsements!

Scott

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey Ed,

Yes it does require that you send your coil-overs back to me to upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

Scott

Gotcha. One more thing on the to do list next time the car goes in for service. What's the turnaround time?

Thanks bud. Hope you're well.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Beautiful work Scott.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
They look great.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Everyone:

Scott did a bunch of work with my Mile GT and we went through a few changes to get the car "stable" at speeds in excess of 290mph!!! There is no doubt that without his involvement and help we would have never to able to accomplish what we have to date. In March 2018 we are going to try and break the 300mph mark if all goes well. Great product and great guy to have around this forum...

Mark Heidaker
M2K Motorsports, LLC