Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
WAA, WAA, WAA...
andy (ajb)

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I thought it was a good article. We can make fun of Porsche, but inevitably, the GTs will get screwed by BoP again this season, and then I suppose others will make fun of our crappy, slow cars? I would love to see a race with zero adjustments - but it’s not going to happen.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I thought it was a good article. We can make fun of Porsche, but inevitably, the GTs will get screwed by BoP again this season, and then I suppose others will make fun of our crappy, slow cars? I would love to see a race with zero adjustments - but it’s not going to happen.

I agree... I would love to see one race each year with NO BoP! It would make things interesting.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I thought it was a good article. We can make fun of Porsche, but inevitably, the GTs will get screwed by BOP again this season, and then I suppose others will make fun of our crappy, slow cars? I would love to see a race with zero adjustments - but it’s not going to happen.

I agree. That article was on point with one exception. The Porsche enthusiast writer indicated that without BOP the 911 RSR would dominate the series because "It's that good". The 911 is so good in fact that they only had to make a few minor adjustments requiring major league waivers. Just little things like moving the engine from the rear of the car to the middle of the car.

If a GTLM car is really "that good", it would race with no waivers. But only one car racing in GTLM is good enough to do that.....the Ford GT. Imagine if GTLM allowed no waivers but gave every car equal power and equal weight. Such an arrangement would really demonstrate which car is that good. Ford GT would annihilate every other car. Even the mid engine 911RSR needs BOP to be competitive with the Ford GT.

Chip

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Technically, there is no waiver required to move the engine in the RSR. As long as the engine is in the designated box, it doesn't require a waiver. Flip-flopping it still manages to keep it in the box. Seems amusing when people bitch about waivers in light of that.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.......in the designated box.

Dave,

What is "the designated box"? I've never heard that term. How does that work? (if it won't be to much of a PITA to explain it)

Chip

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There's an imaginary box the engine has to stay in, but the position can be "optimized." Apparently it's pretty big. C7R and the old Vantage also both had their engines shoved further back in the chassis for better weight distribution.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
For the record in the GTLM class the Ferrari had the fastest lap time during the race , everyone else was real close. The GT stayed clean with minimal issues. The ability to run consistent fast laps obviously paid off. The lack of yellows helped those who lead stay ahead... The Team commented hopefully the BOP going into Sebring would not be a stiff as things might appear.. fingers crossed going into Sebring ..