Ford GT fastest lap ever at VIR - C&D

Gary(SF)

Nov 12, 2017
That's not really all that quick even for 2wd...those numbers are a tick slower than the $200k 570S, and the 720S is another league altogether. Where the FGT shines is the track, that's what makes it so desirable.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That's not really all that quick even for 2wd...those numbers are a tick slower than the $200k 570S, and the 720S is another league altogether. Where the FGT shines is the track, that's what makes it so desirable.

I question your motivation for registering here. Read the announcement at the top.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Would really be cool to see a 900+ HP GT.:) Go Ford

They're saving that for year 4:lol

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
It still looks like several people have no clue about the lightning lap. Google it. It’s not a full lap of the track and it’s from a standing start. It has become the gold standard to test all of a car’s abilities.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I wouldn't call it gold standard. All of these magazines employed flawed methodologies for obtaining and comparing these times, but it's of moderate entertainment value. In the past, they've used multiple drivers of varying ability to produce times even within the same test days. Not a great way to arrive at any conclusions.

Gary(SF)

Nov 12, 2017
I question your motivation for registering here. Read the announcement at the top.

Wow, amazing response. If I was trolling, unfairly attacking the FGT, I could understand some push-back, but I was merely citing easily checked stats that surely no reasonable person disputes. And for the record, I love the NFGT, and would be proud to own one. I wish they were more readily available, there would be one in my garage for sure. Every car on the road has strengths and weaknesses, there's always an engineering tradeoff (at least in the sub-million dollar category), and the NFGT clearly chose track capabilities over drag strip numbers. Is it forum culture to turn a blind eye to actual road test results if they don't reflect Ford domination? Seriously, maybe you could explain your heartburn with my post? I'd really appreciate it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ford GT fastest lap ever at VIR - C&D

Sure.

I presume you read the announcement. I run this as an owners site. Period. Always have. Others choose to operate differently. Has worked out pretty well here.

You have a Mac right? I assume you’ve bumped the MT thread multiple times hoping to compare to what MT ran in the 720S. Now you’re comparing 570S and 720S acceleration times.

Do you see where I’m going with this?

The forum culture is purely “for owners by owners.” Surely this is understandable, first for a 4000 unit car and now for a car there are less than 150 of. Plenty of people here own and discuss Macs. I’ve had several. There are P1 owners and people with Senna allocations. As long as you own a GT, fire away....

Gary(SF)

Nov 12, 2017
Sure.

I presume you read the announcement. I run this as an owners site. Period. Always have. Others choose to operate differently. Has worked out pretty well here.

You have a Mac right? I assume you’ve bumped the MT thread multiple times hoping to compare to what MT ran in the 720S. Now you’re comparing 570S and 720S acceleration times.

Do you see where I’m going with this?

The forum culture is purely “for owners by owners.” Surely this is understandable, first for a 4000 unit car and now for a car there are less than 150 of. Plenty of people here own and discuss Macs. I’ve had several. There are P1 owners and people with Senna allocations. As long as you own a GT, fire away....

Well then, my apologies, not an owner, just would like to own one. The only thing I see at the top of the page is "Ford GT Forum". And yeah I'm always interested in seeing comparison numbers, and the 720s and NFGT seem like natural competitors. I guess I didn't realize what a touchy subject that would be.

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Check the videos of the individual laps. The times are based on starting at the Start/Finish Tower on the North Straight at full speed out of Hog Pen, around the Grand Course, and back to the Start/Finish Tower.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Well then, my apologies, not an owner, just would like to own one. The only thing I see at the top of the page is "Ford GT Forum". And yeah I'm always interested in seeing comparison numbers, and the 720s and NFGT seem like natural competitors. I guess I didn't realize what a touchy subject that would be.

It’s not a touchy subject. The numbers are what they are. Everyone on this forum understands them. You mention that the “720s and NFGT seem like natural competitors.” Not criticizing you, but this comment indicates that perhaps you don’t understand the car. I don’t know how a car conceived, designed and built as a race car, a car built for homologation purposes to win the most prestigious endurance race in the world, can be compared to any regular production supercar. It has no competitors. I’m not suggesting the GT is “better“ or other cars “inferior,” but what current car has the same design brief? The same purpose?

As stated many times before, the GT is a homologation car. The production GT would not exist but for the race program. The race car dictates the performance of the production car. What other current production car fits in this category? None. The point is this, the GT was built for a single purpose: to win the Big Race. If Ford could have accomplished this amazing feat with an in-line three cylinder diesel, race and Ford fans like me would still be clamoring for the production car even if it was slower than a 2005-2006 GT. To someone like me, cars like the 720s are meaningless and akin to a Camry, just another commercial supercar to be surpassed by the next.

Reactions: ChipBeck

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
It’s not a touchy subject. The numbers are what they are. Everyone on this forum understands them. You mention that the “720s and NFGT seem like natural competitors.” Not criticizing you, but this comment indicates that perhaps you don’t understand the car. I don’t know how a car conceived, designed and built as a race car, a car built for homologation purposes to win the most prestigious endurance race in the world, can be compared to any regular production supercar. It has no competitors. I’m not suggesting the GT is “better“ or other cars “inferior,” but what current car has the same design brief? The same purpose?

As stated many times before, the GT is a homologation car. The production GT would not exist but for the race program. The race car dictates the performance of the production car. What other current production car fits in this category? None. The point is this, the GT was built for a single purpose: to win the Big Race. If Ford could have accomplished this amazing feat with an in-line three cylinder diesel, race and Ford fans like me would still be clamoring for the production car even if it was slower than a 2005-2006 GT. To someone like me, cars like the 720s are meaningless and akin to a Camry, just another commercial supercar to be surpassed by the next.

Well said! Even if your not a owner and you have Ford Blue running thru your veins you understand what an accomplishment it is and what it took for Ford to bring this back. Not just for the history but for the true fans. I am a fan by choice and am lucky to be an owner of second generation GT. Ford designed it for a purpose. They also design drag strip cars called Cobra Jets. Thank you Ford from a loyal fan.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Well stated Paul, but I guess you are more of a gentleman than I am as I would have added that Ford achieved their goal of winning in their first year back, and were close to being 1-2-3 as in their '66 win. Mission accomplished and still in the hunt for more victories.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Well said! Even if your not a owner and you have Ford Blue running thru your veins you understand what an accomplishment it is and what it took for Ford to bring this back. Not just for the history but for the true fans. I am a fan by choice and am lucky to be an owner of second generation GT. Ford designed it for a purpose. They also design drag strip cars called Cobra Jets. Thank you Ford from a loyal fan.

Well stated Paul, but I guess you are more of a gentleman than I am as I would have added that Ford achieved their goal of winning in their first year back, and were close to being 1-2-3 as in their '66 win. Mission accomplished and still in the hunt for more victories.

People get too wrapped up in the numbers. There are so many other reasons, many intangible, to support a purchase decision. For our English friends, I'm sure there is immense pride in the great performance accomplishment that is the 720s. It's obviously a stellar car. From a clinical, business analysis, I'm astonished that McLaren has come so far, so fast. I love how this upstart is giving Ferrari heartburn. The fact the 720s does nothing for me doesn't detract from any of this. I appreciate it as a cool car, but I would never buy one. It doesn't move me off my wallet.

It's been my observation that people in the car hobby who obsess over stats are never satisfied. But really, how can they? It's always the Next Great Thing.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Right on Sinovac!

Ed

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
The only thing I see at the top of the page is "Ford GT Forum".

At the top of each sub-forum category, is a link that says "Announcement: Non-owners/sellers". Missing reading that early on could lead to not being on the same page. Link:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/announcement.php?f=67

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
People get too wrapped up in the numbers. There are so many other reasons, many intangible, to support a purchase decision. For our English friends, I'm sure there is immense pride in the great performance accomplishment that is the 720s. It's obviously a stellar car. From a clinical, business analysis, I'm astonished that McLaren has come so far, so fast. I love how this upstart is giving Ferrari heartburn. The fact the 720s does nothing for me doesn't detract from any of this. I appreciate it as a cool car, but I would never buy one. It doesn't move me off my wallet.

It's been my observation that people in the car hobby who obsess over stats are never satisfied. But really, how can they? It's always the Next Great Thing.
Ditto Sinovac. Since I didn't buy my '05 new, I could've bought several other cars 4 years ago that were faster, quicker, more tech, whatever--and for less cash-- than the GT, but they didn't move me like the GT. The 720, etc. will be soon be surpassed by something else, but the new GT doesn't eclipse the old one. They don't compete with each other, instead they complement each other. The 05-06 GTs have achieved that rare quality of being "timeless," and I'm pretty sure the new GT will too.

Put it another way, when I take my 05 to cars'n'coffee on Saturday mornings, someone usually says "that's my dream car." 10 years on, will someone say that about a 675, or a 488? I doubt it. But I'll bet that people will say that about the new GT in another decade.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Pete,

Before I knew Ford would make the 2005-2006 GT, I viewed cars in that price range as a silly extravagance. I loved cars, but I also believed I was smart with my money. My fun car purchases were a mix of passion and fiscal prudence. The fiscal prudence part went out the window when the last gen GT was revealed. My kness went weak and my brain turned mushy. It didn’t matter how much it was, or whether it was going to depreciate like crazy, I was going to have one. I bought my ‘06 near the end of the production run when prices had cooled considerably and appreciation wasn’t assured. The justifications I came up with to spend what was really an obscene amount on a car were comical, but they all boiled down to a passion for the Ford GT40. Many of us have stories like that.

Fast forward to the NFGT. It’s deja vu all over again. Some see the NFGT as just another expensive commodity to be compared to all the others. For me and all the other Ford homers, it’s so much more. It’s a car that isn’t competing with anything else for our dollars. This doesn’t make comparisons to other cars invalid, but it should put the comparisons into perspective.

Some look at the NFGT and see an overpriced V6 supercar which lacks the outright performance numbers of other, less expensive cars. I see a car conceived, designed and built by people passionate about winning Le Mans. A car with such a singular purpose as to make its commercial success a dicey proposition. A V6? Really? That takes balls, heart and laser-like focus. That all obviously paid off with the program’s first-year win at Le Mans. Something so improbable as to seem like a ridiculous fantasy. The NFGT carries on Ford’s commitment to the heritage of the GT40. For many of us, it has no peers.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
0-60 times and RWHP are not the most important metrics for this car. It's the whole aero package, downforce, braking, cornering speeds, grip etc. Functionality of a race car. 0-60 means nothing on pit road at Le Mans :)
Watch a FGT go through the chicane on the Mulsanne at full tilt.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Sinovac - I'm not trying to make your head big or anything but I saved you last two posts to show my friends & family.

Ed

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

Sorry guys, but I don't really find this comment as offensive as most of you.

It's a fact that a NFGT will be beaten by a 720S in a straight line drag race, and yeah - I wish that our GT would have had 700 HP and be a missile in a straight line, but let’s be honest and say that there are other cars that master that category a little bit better than the GT.

But when a guy finishes of by writing "Where the FGT shines is the track, that's what makes it so desirable" it does not make me what to flame him a question his reason for being a part of this forum.

I'm so stoked about what our GT can do on the track, and I'm sure the 720S will not be able to keep the same cornering speeds as our Ford, and even if it could, it will never have the same soul, and that's where we win.

The 720S also have more luggage space, but I can live with that.