Ford GT fastest lap ever at VIR - C&D

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Link is dead for some reason now, but it happened.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
that is way cool...

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I just read this on Billy Johnson's FB page. Says it beat out the 918 with only 1 day of driving! So good.

Vince H

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
capture3333-png.1458866

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Yes!

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
F.A.S.T.!!!

Attachments

• Ford GT at VIR.jpg
    Ford GT at VIR.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,383

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
I'm a long time Viper fan, but it's awesome to see the GT take down the ACR... :)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is awesome.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Wow!! You can just see all of that effort into air flow and downforce paying dividends! Speeds through the Climbing Esses really paints the picture!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Link is dead for some reason now, but it happened.

IDK why they took it down, but the text is still cached in Google. Video is gone though. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9SESaBlYYdAJ:https://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-115-we-lap-the-ford-gt-at-vir-feature+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That Xcentric is a smart man. Thanks.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Mighty impressive! Way to go, Ford.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Amazing when you pummel a hypercar. Well done Ford. Thanks Raj!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Guys I think they meant the FASTEST FORD GT TIME ever, The Corvette and ACR has run better times from 2 years ago.
GTJOEY1314

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I'm totally impressed. I knew it was going to be something special when it was announced. Then I realized it was going to be even better when we were at Rally 10. Finally when I rode in it at UMC I was convinced it was the coolest hypercar out there. Now I'm so blown away that I don't know what to say but Thank God Ford built the GT again!

Way to go Ford Performance!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Guys I think they meant the FASTEST FORD GT TIME ever, The Corvette and ACR has run better times from 2 years ago.
GTJOEY1314

This is a comparison of the times that Car and Driver magazine has achieved with the various cars.

"The Ford GT’s currency is speed, traded on the exchanges of ACO, WEC, and IMSA. Based on the asking price, its brokers—the 1000 hand-picked applicants who will be allowed to buy the car over the next four years—should have the means to make a track day happen. Whether they choose Virginia International Raceway’s 4.1-mile Grand West Course thrill ride is up to them. For us, it is the obvious choice. We’ve been lapping cars there for more than a decade; we brought the GT to VIR now because we couldn’t secure one to run in 2017’s Lightning Lap 11, and we wanted to make this car part of the official record. The GT at VIR is, in one word, fastest. As in, fastest-lap-we’ve-ever-recorded fastest."

A professional driver has obliterated all of these times in the GT.

alexhay3

Subscribing Spectator
Nov 2, 2016
Duxbury, MA
Ford has worked incredibly hard and achieved spectacular results that post-Lemans are becoming increasingly recognized just now, it seems.

Last edited:

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
Very nice Ford! Thank you for this car

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
This is a comparison of the times that Car and Driver magazine has achieved with the various cars.

"The Ford GT’s currency is speed, traded on the exchanges of ACO, WEC, and IMSA. Based on the asking price, its brokers—the 1000 hand-picked applicants who will be allowed to buy the car over the next four years—should have the means to make a track day happen. Whether they choose Virginia International Raceway’s 4.1-mile Grand West Course thrill ride is up to them. For us, it is the obvious choice. We’ve been lapping cars there for more than a decade; we brought the GT to VIR now because we couldn’t secure one to run in 2017’s Lightning Lap 11, and we wanted to make this car part of the official record. The GT at VIR is, in one word, fastest. As in, fastest-lap-we’ve-ever-recorded fastest."

A professional driver has obliterated all of these times in the GT.
Long time no speak, Your right its the FASTEST CAR THEY TESTED, But its not the fastest recorded at the track. I remember a Corvette and a ACR from awhile back.
It will be interesting what the McLaren 720s will do, but they only came out recently.
We shall see.
As you know I have a governor on my cars at around 64 mph.....don't want to mess up the grey doooooo
GTJOEY1314

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Long time no speak, Your right its the FASTEST CAR THEY TESTED, But its not the fastest recorded at the track. I remember a Corvette and a ACR from awhile back.
It will be interesting what the McLaren 720s will do, but they only came out recently.
We shall see.
As you know I have a governor on my cars at around 64 mph.....don't want to mess up the grey doooooo
GTJOEY1314

Yes, I think people understand that the Car and Driver article about the times that Car and Driver gets at VIR, which they have done for over a decade, is in reference to the times that Car and Driver gets.