2005 GT Steering Wheel

Bill2005GT

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2017
Has anyone had the steering wheel center cap ( with the Ford logo ) form bubbles under the clear coat ? Mine has a few bubble like discolorations. Can this part be easily replaced ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Well known problem.
Check the search function.
Best,
Mark

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bill, it is, unfortunately, extremely common. We have numerous emblems repaired by Shelby Smith (www.eliteautosllc.com). The center section with the airbag needs to be removed from the car - just (2) 10mm bolts from the back side and then the airbag module itself needs to be removed from that assembly prior to transportation to/from Shelby. It's not a hard process but obviously great care needs to be taken when working with an airbag module. If you are not completely comfortable to remove it yourself, have a qualified mechanic do it. The entire procedure should take less than 30 minutes. Send it off to Shelby and he'll turn it around quickly and you'll have a perfect emblem once again.

Reactions: analogdesigner

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Shelby fixed mine years ago and it still looks perfect.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Elite Auto- Shelby did a fantastic job on two of them for me.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Gotta get mine down to Elite/ Shelby, now that I know how to take it off and remove the air bag inflator.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
GT101 makes a nice CF hub insert, easy to fit, took a couple of hours

Attachments

• 635E6E3A-FEEE-48E3-B3FD-F0E4844E3FD5.jpg
    635E6E3A-FEEE-48E3-B3FD-F0E4844E3FD5.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 429

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is there liability with that insert?

I would love to see a replica of the GT40 Red, white and blue center section if doable. I thought the liability of it kept people away.

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
Shelby did mine as well - it looks perfect now. When I took my car to Tomball Ford, they removed the center hub for me prior to replacing the airbag (recall) so I could send it off to Shelby. When he returned the hub with the refurbished/replaced center cap, Ford installed the replacement air bag and hub. I was surprised to see how easy of a job it was to remove it/install it. Additionally, they never drove the car and let me stay with it while the work was performed.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Ford actually warrantied mine several years ago

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Can someone tell me how to remove the steering wheel hub emblem? Maybe Shelby? I have removed the airbag unit from beneath the horn but the actual airbag itself is beneath that and it covers the under side of the emblem. I'm have a CF steering wheel made and just got a CF emblem like Texas Mongrel posted above. My original emblem is perfect and I don't want to damage it. I think what needs to happen is that the actual air bag itself needs to be removed but I am not sure how and I don't want to damage it?

Attachments

• Air BAg 001.jpg
    Air BAg 001.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 156

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
There are rivets holding the cover to the rest of the airbag module. You need to drill these out then you can pull the cover off. You definitely don’t want to unpack that bag. It remains exactly as it is.

When you have the cover off the module you’ll see that the emblem is pushed through some slots then the plastic is melted over the tabs to retain them. It takes a bit of gentle work with a knife or dremel to release these.

When reassembling replace the rivets.

It’s not complicated but do take your time.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Thank you David. That is exactly what I thought but I wanted to be sure before I drilled out the rivets. I knew better than to unpack the bag.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
My center cap now has a uniform crackled glass look which I like. The crackling covers the entire button now. So, I just left mine alone since most will probably think it was designed with that look from the factory. No one has ever mentioned it at any car show I've attended.

tramos9

GT Owner
Nov 9, 2017
Bill, it is, unfortunately, extremely common. We have numerous emblems repaired by Shelby Smith (www.eliteautosllc.com). The center section with the airbag needs to be removed from the car - just (2) 10mm bolts from the back side and then the airbag module itself needs to be removed from that assembly prior to transportation to/from Shelby. It's not a hard process but obviously great care needs to be taken when working with an airbag module. If you are not completely comfortable to remove it yourself, have a qualified mechanic do it. The entire procedure should take less than 30 minutes. Send it off to Shelby and he'll turn it around quickly and you'll have a perfect emblem once again.

@nota4re @dr914 @Awsum GT @FerrariSlayer Folks, I have a 2006 Ford GT with steering wheel cap corrosion. I couldn’t find a post for 2006 so I’m posting here. It looks like it has a clear coating or even a wrap on it, like it can be peeled off. If so, can I peel it off? If I shouldn’t or can’t, is the best option to send it to Shelby Smith?

26A032A4-B509-4895-A7FF-83C46C9B2132.jpegCB2D0F10-D4FC-46CD-88CF-BFFAA6D2C569.jpeg Before and after. Thanks Shelby / Elite Auto

Last edited:

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
@nota4re @dr914 @Awsum GT @FerrariSlayer Folks, I have a 2006 Ford GT with steering wheel cap corrosion. I couldn’t find a post for 2006 so I’m posting here. It looks like it has a clear coating or even a wrap on it, like it can be peeled off. If so, can I peel it off? If I shouldn’t or can’t, is the best option to send it to Shelby Smith?

BTW, I couldn’t figure out how to post a picture of the steering wheel cap LOL.
Take a picture..save to photos or gallery....push attach files button,pick your picture & download; press done and your pic will upload,

Reactions: tramos9

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
See my post #8. Disconnect neg terminal from battery. Two round plastic covers on back side of steering wheel. Use a 10mm socket, remove those two bolts. Center module slides out toward you. Carefully remove wiring connectors from airbag. With module out on a workbench (emblem side down), remove the airbag assembly. Box and ship to Shelby. Wait until Wednesday to ship because I have one in hand I need done first! (j/k).

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
See my post #8. Disconnect neg terminal from battery. Two round plastic covers on back side of steering wheel. Use a 10mm socket, remove those two bolts. Center module slides out toward you. Carefully remove wiring connectors from airbag. With module out on a workbench (emblem side down), remove the airbag assembly. Box and ship to Shelby. Wait until Wednesday to ship because I have one in hand I need done first! (j/k).
And careful with the plastic bolt cover tabs...they break easily...these none descript plastic bolt covers are expense.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You don't need to disconnect the battery. It's like use an atomic bomb to kill a fly. If you do (and if you care) you will lose your emissions readiness tests and have to run the drive cycle to get OBDII emissions tests to pass. Turning off the key is all you need to do. If you're really paranoid then remove the affected fuse.

tramos9

GT Owner
Nov 9, 2017
Take a picture..save to photos or gallery....push attach files button,pick your picture & download; press done and your pic will upload,
Thanks @Art138 Just posted