Lost MSO

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hello,
Long story short. Lost MSO, anyone know how to get a duplicate?
Car registered from new only in New Zealand so I never got a California Title. The DMV equivalent here in NZ threw the original MSO away without letting me know.
The dealer in USA can't seem to get me a new MSO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
John

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When you register a car in the US you turn in the MSO to the state and they give you a title.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is only ever one MSO. It is standard practice to destroy the MSO at first registration when the title is issued. I always make a copy before turning it in.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks guys,
I live in New Zealand, the car was never registered in California. The MSO is destroyed. There is no "Title" in New Zealand. The only MSO has been thrown away. I need a replacement MSO due to the original being destroyed. I have a copy of it but the copy shows "VOID" in light text all over it. I need a replacement original MSO if anyone knows who to get ahold of??
Thanks!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't you have any kind of New Zealand registration? Yes, the copy will show "void" - that is the kind of paper they print it on to prevent counterfeiting. You aren't explaining what you are trying to do. Are you trying to register the car that was formerly in New Zealand now in California? Please explain the whole chain of events. Have you gone to your New Zealand DMV equivalent and explained what you are trying to do and what documentation is required on this end?

Last edited:

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi Tony,
The registration in NZ is just that, registration, has nothing to do with ownership. Understand the void. Car is in California and now I need proof of ownership. The MSO was destroyed along with the Bill of Sale, both originals. I do have copies of both. NZ "DMV" completely helpless 100%. I've tried every angle to get their help. They did say they were sorry for throwing them away without letting me know.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You need to talk to someone who imports cars. You don't really need an MSO just a title.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might contact ShelbyElite. I imagine he has experience.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Right, I'm not sure how you get a Title without either an original MSO or Bill of Sale?? Documents get destroyed all the time, there has to be a way to get new "original" copies. I doubt I'm breaking new ground.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
On the mso it states the original dealer where the car sold. I would start by calling them and talking to their head new car sales man. If you are the original owner i would think they should be able to help some how. Let us know how you figure out a solution to this.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You could call Ford customer service and see what they have to say. The problem might be that the time from original production is so long.

It is highly unusual for an owner to get the MSO. In most states the dealer brings the MSO to get registration and title. My Shelby Mustangs got titled in AZ before I got them. The only time I've ever gotten an MSO was for my truck I bought in Nevada while we were in Colorado.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You say you have a copy of the bill of sale. Why is it being a copy a problem? You need to contact California DMV. Usually you can get a bonded title with a bill of sale, but state requirements vary.

Seems crazy that the only proof of ownership in New Zealand is one piece of paper. What happens when the file storage area burns? Nobody in the country can prove ownership?

Last edited:

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks guys,
Right, in NZ there is no firm that keeps track of car ownership. If your paperwork burns you go to a tribunal with all you have and convince the "judge" you own the car if it becomes an issue. Basically you go to court. I don't need NZ proof of ownership, I need USA proof of ownership. I bought the car new in California then immediately shipped it to NZ with the Bill of Sale and the MSO. NZ kept the originals and threw them away 4 years later. I only have photocopies of them, not good enough for California DMV. The USA dealer is trying to get a new MSO, no luck so far.
I will post final results if any occur.
I will contact Ford customer service, I wonder if they keep track of who has MSO's? I never did receive the standard "welcome" letter from Ford when I bought my second Ford GT, hmm.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Hi Gimbal! Long time no see! When are you moving back to NorCal?

Call my registration service. I've used them for years on some really tough projects: All Vehicle Registration Services in Rancho Cordova, CA 916-739-8088 (no website)

Ed

PS We'll go karting with Joey Hand at Dixon or Prairie City.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Gimbal is the MSO for your 2nd FGT? I thought the 1st one was toasted in a garage fire.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
When one registers and or titles a new car, the MSO is surrendered to the state, county, etc., in exchange for a current registration. One can NEVER keep the MSO if the car is titled or registered. (I still have my MSO as I purchased the car as a dealer from a dealer, and never registered it, just drive it with my dealer tag)
Hence that is why they took your MSO and later destroyed it, your current New Zealand registration is your proof of ownership.
That registration will transfer to california, as if the california authorities do a bit of research, they will find that the document you have is the official paperwork and proof of ownership for the car. You should press them and they will finally acknowledge this and get you a california title.
Here in Georgia, before 1986, there is no need to have a title, but rather a registration. THAT is the official proof of ownership paper, and when we have sold cars out of country (like many of the Porsche 356 models we sell) that registration paper is like a title, transfers to the new country, and is used to procure a new title or registration.
Conclusion? I think that you have the paperwork you need to get a California title

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi Ed,
Yes, long time. Been busy with many things. Yeah not planning on moving back to NorCal, home is still here in NZ. All good down here otherwise. Got a good Christmas present, won an Academy Award for my helicopter camera design! Been rubbing elbows with a few movie stars. I still sweep my garage floor and take out the trash myself though.
I sent my GT back to California to sell unfortunately, got some paperwork to deal with. I'll call your registration service and see if they have any ideas, thanks for that.
Yeah, karting...I got into Superkarts, best fun for the money! In par with Formula 1 and a fraction the cost. No fame though :( I do miss the normal karting, was lots of fun.
Hey what you up to these days?
Best,
John

Hi Gimbal! Long time no see! When are you moving back to NorCal?

Call my registration service. I've used them for years on some really tough projects: All Vehicle Registration Services in Rancho Cordova, CA 916-739-8088 (no website)

Ed

PS We'll go karting with Joey Hand at Dixon or Prairie City.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
BlackICE, yes how's things? Yep this is my 2nd GT, first one went up in toast. The engine actually got rebuilt and is in a Ford GT racing in north island, had the Stillen differential which is working out well for him. I'm selling my 2nd one, I'll miss it.

Gimbal is the MSO for your 2nd FGT? I thought the 1st one was toasted in a garage fire.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks dr914, yes you are nearly spot on with your comments. Finding someone with common sense at DMV is really the key who understands what you are saying. The only slight glitch is the registration paperwork here in NZ actually states "this is not proof of ownership". Even though the word "Owner" is all over the form with my name next to it. I think NZ DMV is trying to wash their hands at being the ownership guardians of cars for some reason.

When one registers and or titles a new car, the MSO is surrendered to the state, county, etc., in exchange for a current registration. One can NEVER keep the MSO if the car is titled or registered. (I still have my MSO as I purchased the car as a dealer from a dealer, and never registered it, just drive it with my dealer tag)
Hence that is why they took your MSO and later destroyed it, your current New Zealand registration is your proof of ownership.
That registration will transfer to california, as if the california authorities do a bit of research, they will find that the document you have is the official paperwork and proof of ownership for the car. You should press them and they will finally acknowledge this and get you a california title.
Here in Georgia, before 1986, there is no need to have a title, but rather a registration. THAT is the official proof of ownership paper, and when we have sold cars out of country (like many of the Porsche 356 models we sell) that registration paper is like a title, transfers to the new country, and is used to procure a new title or registration.
Conclusion? I think that you have the paperwork you need to get a California title

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
They still talk about you Gimbal around these parts! I was at the kart track at Sears Point on Sunday. Superkarts are amazing on the Sears Point road race track. I'm waiting until 2019 for my NGT, hanging out with the grandkids, working full time & still racing vintage motocross. Congrats on the Academy Award! I imported a 1960 motorcycle from China & CA DMV said no way on registering it. I took the case to my registration service & in 3 weeks it was registered!

Ed