Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Say good-bye to the collector car world.

There will be a definitive 'shelf-life' for these new vehicles. Keeping them on the road past their 'Manufacturers Support Date' will be unsustainable as they will have the same usefulness as your 8086 PC (I wonder how many guys here even recognize the reference :confused).

No wonder the rush to deliver not only the autonomous vehicles, but the increasingly computer laden people/goods mover. Just think, there will be greater visibility into the turn-over cycle for production analysis with a predetermined/predictable end-of-life date.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I don't think most of these new vehicles will hold any one spellbound anyway. Why collect a pod?

I ran my office on two 8086 PC's 22-23 years ago. ��

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

There will be a definitive 'shelf-life' for these new vehicles. Keeping them on the road past their 'Manufacturers Support Date' will be unsustainable as they will have the same usefulness as your 8086 PC (I wonder how many guys here even recognize the reference :confused).

No wonder the rush to deliver not only the autonomous vehicles, but the increasingly computer laden people/goods mover. Just think, there will be greater visibility into the turn-over cycle for production analysis with a predetermined/predictable end-of-life date.

Shelf life applies to almost any vehicle built in the last 10 (maybe more depending) years. In 50 years will you be able to restore that beautiful low miles (but driven) Mustang GT350R when you need to replace that huge LED center display? It's about the only case to be made for delivery-miles cars assuming that the electronics actually survive that long.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I ran my office on two 8086 PC's 22-23 years ago. ��

:biggrin. Doubt it! The 8086's came out 40 years ago! The 8086's had a shelf-life of ~5 years.

Remember the 'green screens'!?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can I pay for it in bitcoins?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
:biggrin. Doubt it! The 8086's came out 40 years ago! The 8086's had a shelf-life of ~5 years.

Remember the 'green screens'!?

Then I am not remembering correctly, but they did have green screens.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you looked at green screens all day you saw pink afterwards.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Umm... yes , that was the unit that replaced the 8085 PC ...:lol

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Umm... yes , that was the unit that replaced the 8085 PC ...:lol

OK.....so you're one of the guys here that will understand the video, though I'm a little suspicious you were even born yet :eek:ld:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fS7FFOaC_iQ

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yesterday, I read through the trade rag "CES Daily", I cant believe some of the directions electronics are going. Some of it I just dont see the point. Guess Im officially "old", and out of touch.