Carlisle Auction

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I got an email from Carlisle Events about their auction coming in Feb. I've been turned off by the BJ and Mecum auctions because of my perception of a lot of under-table stuff that goes on with those, along with exorbitant commissions. Anyone have experience with Carlisle Auctions?

http://content.carlisleevents.com/v...34434933&listid=82668&RecipientID=15241063579

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
pete- I've known a couple people who have gotten involved with the Carlisle auctions and have been very happy with the experience. and don't forget brother Lance is behind it as well so no worries in my opinion.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I worked with Lance within the last year or so trying to complete the sale of a SPF Cobra at a Carlisle Fairgrounds auction.

We weren't able to complete the deal, the car wasn't quite right for me, but Lance was fair and honest all the way.

They don't have the selection or star cars (yet) as the other venues but they are growing their business.

I agree with you, especially re: B-J. Of course, I'd always rather buy nearly anywhere except at auction, just me.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
BTW, B-J recently did right when presented with some evidence about this car I was chasing:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CORVETTE-427/435-211785

After some research and contact with a previous owner, I learned that the car had once been in very very rough shape and had a CA salvage title.

When informed, B-J amended its advertisement with the branded title language. Some say they didn't do enough, some say they did it to cover their asses, but in my view they did right.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
BTW, B-J recently did right when presented with some evidence about this car I was chasing:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CORVETTE-427/435-211785

After some research and contact with a previous owner, I learned that the car had once been in very very rough shape and had a CA salvage title.

When informed, B-J amended its advertisement with the branded title language. Some say they didn't do enough, some say they did it to cover their asses, but in my view they did right.

Note that BJ doesn't write the copy that appears in the lot descriptions. It is supplied by the seller.

My experience at Barrett Jackson, both from seller (charity car) and buyer (my Cobra) was excellent. Everyone talks about the "anecdotal" evidence of tampering, but it's always "I heard from someone that knows someone else that says someone did something". So far noone has ever come forward and admitted doing something and over all the years, if it happened, someone would have squealed by now.

The only even that comes close is the buyer that balked on the Bugatti. I was in the skybox watching when Craig Jackson paused between cars and told how the buyer was "overzealous" (he couldn't afford it and though someone would outbid him, and was banned from all BJ auctions in the future) so asked if the previous bidder would still want it, and he didn't so Craig bought the car. It looks like it is a "company car" though since it always has a BJ wrap on it.

Commissions are something else, BJ is 8% seller 10% buyer, more if the car has reserve. I think Mecum is the same or more depending on venue.

Last edited:

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
You're right. The seller supplied the copy.

And B-J amended it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You're right. The seller supplied the copy.

And B-J amended it.

Because so many Corvettes are sold at BJ at some point in the past BJ was having every car inspected at the auction for "authenticity". I don't know if they still do it or not.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Note that BJ doesn't write the copy that appears in the lot descriptions. It is supplied by the seller.

My experience at Barrett Jackson, both from seller (charity car) and buyer (my Cobra) was excellent. Everyone talks about the "anecdotal" evidence of tampering, but it's always "I heard from someone that knows someone else that says someone did something". So far noone has ever come forward and admitted doing something and over all the years, if it happened, someone would have squealed by now.

The only even that comes close is the buyer that balked on the Bugatti. I was in the skybox watching when Craig Jackson paused between cars and told how the buyer was "overzealous" (he couldn't afford it and though someone would outbid him, and was banned from all BJ auctions in the future) so asked if the previous bidder would still want it, and he didn't so Craig bought the car. It looks like it is a "company car" though since it always has a BJ wrap on it.

Commissions are something else, BJ is 8% seller 10% buyer, more if the car has reserve. I think Mecum is the same or more depending on venue.

Mecum commission is 10% with reserve and 5 without reserve plus they will deal on commissions on the block if they are close to reaching a deal.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Commissions are something else, BJ is 8% seller 10% buyer, more if the car has reserve.

That's bananas.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's bananas.

Typical. Farm auctions were even more. My mother-in-law's estate auction (midwest) was something like 20% on the seller side. I don't think they charge the buyer. Most often farm and estate auctions are liquidations.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Mecum commission is 10% with reserve and 5 without reserve plus they will deal on commissions on the block if they are close to reaching a deal.

BJ will also work on commission.