I've Been Demonized! And I LOVE IT!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
So, for the first time in over 12 years (or, since I bought my Ford GT on August 23rd, 2005) I pulled the trigger and bought another brand new car (note: I did lease my first car ever last spring, but it was a 2017 Fiat 500e offered at $49 a month, and I give it back after 36 months, so it doesn't count -- I think...).

Anyway, I just picked up earlier today a 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon from Courtesy Dodge in San Juan Capistrano. I was fortunate enough to drive the Demon at the press event in July, at which point my efforts to resist its pull melted and I asked Tim Kuniskis (head of FCA passenger vehicles, and a genuine performance car freak) if I could still get one. He said "probably" and then made it happen.

My car just crossed 50 miles and I'm soft-peddling it until I get to at least 500 miles (and probably 1,000). But like I remember with my 2005 GT, even "soft-peddling" these kind of cars lets you destroy most other vehicles with 1/3 throttle and upshifting at 3,500 rpm.

I would say the biggest surprise/delight feature with the Demon (other than the performance...and sound...and looks...okay, there are A LOT!) is the breadth of cool accessories it comes with. The Demon Crate. The Rear Seat delete package. The Street Tire package. The Storage package. The Race Logic harness. The Demon-customized VBOX data logger and camera system. This mirrors a lot of what's available with the new GT, but the Demon costs about 20% of the new GT, so again -- surprise/delight.

Anyway, it's pretty amazing to have over 1,500 horsepower in my garage, and this car makes quite a salve as I wait for my new Ford GT order window. And it feels good to be back in the anticipation mode of getting a new vehicle, figuring out how it works, chomping at the bit to hammer it but controlling yourself through the break-in period. Fun-Fun-Fun stuff. If anyone else on here has a Demon I'd love to hear their thoughts on the car.

Here's a shot of it being put to bed in its new digs for the first time tonight. Had to rip some cabinets out of my garage over New Year's Eve/Day to make room for the Demon and the GT (and my wife's 500e). But they all fit. Barely :thumbsup

IMG_8863.jpg

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Very cool, Karl! Congratulations. At least you get to start working on the mileage immediately; my F8 Demon should be here to me in South Dakota in the next month or so, but then I will have to wait until probably May to start the break-in period (gotta love winter in the Midwest). Looking forward to hearing you post more about your Demon!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Thanks! I'm only at 45 miles so far, but I'll be driving as much as possible (unless it rains, of course...) to get to the fun stuff.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
...and glad to see you have the protective yellow front spoiler guard removed!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Yeah, that's just not the way to go -- even if you're OCD about pavement scrapes. Better to buy a new splitter and keep it in the box while you drive the Demon and not stress about bumps/dips.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That’s another awesome, special car I’d like to have. Congratulations Karl. I’m looking forward to your impressions after it’s broken in.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Congrats! I have a buddy that got 2 of them. Both delivered at Christmas. Red one and black one. One for go, and one for show.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
At least you picked a good color.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I guess your going to take it to the drag strip right, let us know how you make out.

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas
Well done Karl,that will be a blast! We must have a shot of you pulling the front wheels off the ground....as advertised. Can't wait for future reports.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great car to add to the collection !! Congrats Karl !!

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Saaweeeeeeet!!!! Looking good. I don't think I could be restrained enough to avoid doing one brief pull.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I guess your going to take it to the drag strip right, let us know how you make out.

My first love of automobiles sprang from drag racing a 1969 Plymouth GTX before I had a license. This car speaks to that part of me, and I definitely will be hitting the strip with it. What pushed me over the edge in buying one is how civilized it is when not hammering on it...AND when hammering on it. Even in full 840 hp mode it was extremely manageable at the track during the press event. It’s the unltimste street-legal dragster, and it makes me as giddy as that 440-powered Mopar made me on West Colfax 33 years ago. :banana

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
My first love of automobiles sprang from drag racing a 1969 Plymouth GTX before I had a license. This car speaks to that part of me, and I definitely will be hitting the strip with it. What pushed me over the edge in buying one is how civilized it is when not hammering on it...AND when hammering on it. Even in full 840 hp mode it was extremely manageable at the track during the press event. It’s the unltimste street-legal dragster, and it makes me as giddy as that 440-powered Mopar made me on West Colfax 33 years ago. :banana

Cool backstory!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
.....and that GTX was producing less than half the horsepower of your Demon. Times have definitely changed.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Congratulations Karl!
I assume that you paid the dollar for the passenger seat?!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Yup, got passenger and rear seat, plus upgraded audio (skipped the sunroof —a car with this much power doesn’t need extra holes in the frame...).

Plenty of room to give you or anyone a ride that’s interested Ron. :biggrin

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
As a late 60's drag racer, this beast really gets my blood pumping. I thought a buddy and I were on the list to get one, but his contact at a dealer in Philly didn't come through. The thought of a high 9-low 10 second car in the 60's meant Pro-Stock - Super Stock kind of builds. Amazing that Dodge put this purpose built car out there to the public !

Congrats, and can't wait to see some video !

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Great car

Congratulations!!