New owner 2006 BAT auction for GT. Looking for advice for a new owner please.

intrick

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2018
Sonoma, CA
Yesterday was a lucky one as I had a text saying the black 06 GT auction at bring a trailer was ending. I never thought that car would sell bellow $250k. With a few minutes to go and it sitting at $227k I jumped in....and a few minutes later it was mine. After 24 hours to think about it....no buyers remorse. Can't wait to get it. I just sold an AMG SLS GT and a Mclaren so the garage wants it, my wife loves it and I had the $ w o having to sell something. Pretty much the perfect storm.

So, with that said, I will clear wrap it and.... then what? I plan on driving it regularly but not as my daily. Any suggestions or references to other posts for new owners would be welcome.

I am thrilled to be a part of this community and to meet you soon.

Rick

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Congratulations and welcome. You will love your new old GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomcat

GT Owner
Welcome aboard...this is a very technical (and civil for an internet forum) group of car (not just GTs) enthusiasts.
I will be interested in your impressions after a few GT drives (as compared to your previous steeds).
Search is your friend...but just asking a question will get you links to the topic/solution.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congratulations Rick and welcome to our CRAZY little group on the Ford GT Forum. Great purchase, enjoy your new ride!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats! You'll love the car. Be careful until you figure out the tires. It's very easy to exchange the front and rear end, especially with cold tires.

So, with that said, I will clear wrap it and.... then what?

Your first mod should be the short throw shifter.

I'd also recommend a new set of tires. Bridgestones. Search for "tires" and you'll find the right ones. These are much better than the factory tires for grip and slightly more forgiving before they warm up.

Change all the fluids. If it runs, change it - radiator, oil, clutch, trans, all of it.

New oil pump belt.

Possibly a new battery.

Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Congratulations Rick! Welcome to the best forum out there, especially for the GTs. You're going to LOVE your car. Ditch the Goodyear's if it still has them and, yes, change the fluids.

Most of all...go drive it and enjoy it!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Congrats for sure!! looks like a nice car. if you plan to drive it, a minimum of a front wrap for sure. some guys drive without it but I've had to get some expensive paint work two different times from rocks hitting the front of the car.
as mentioned above, get to know the beast before pushing it. tires are of the utmost importance along with outside ambient temperature. if you're driving it and it's 40 degrees or less, drive like you're on ice because basically you are with cold tires on these cars.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
Welcome! A pulley and a tune is a nice investment.

Joe

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Rick, in addition to my PM, let me welcome you here.

As for the tires, since your Goodyears are pretty recent, I do not recommend changing them. Use them up first. There is a thread in one of the forums about tires. Read it. I've been around the track a few times with Mark McGowan in his GT with Goodyears (Mark was the project manager for the GT). They are worthy tires too. Bridgestones are better for the track, and the Goodyears are better for wet or cooler weather. But don't change anything until you get used to the car.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
I found the Goodyears terrible under 60 degrees.

Joe

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Congratulation and welcome to the FGT World and this forum

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
WELCOME, and congrats. Outside of wrap, and current tires, there are lots of things that can be done. BUT why not simply enjoy it as is, then figure it as you go. Then each tweak unlocks a new form of enjoyment. Your in CA so you wont have to ponder what to do until spring like some of us. Over 12 years of ownership so far, and the car doesn't get old.

Just a reminder, the car does not have traction control, and will swap ends if not managed properly.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
that was a killer deal on that car.. congrats

DC-DD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2010
PA / FL
Congratulations on the purchase as looks like a really nice car. You are also lucky enough living were you are to be able to drive it as soon as it arrives :thumbsup.
Here in PA today we started off at -1 degree.

Dominic

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Congrats on winning the auction! Beautiful example of an FGT.

If mine, I would want to compliment the all-black simplicity with a GT guy rear bumper delete, but that is just me. :wink

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Drive the Goodyears. They were a good tire for the 9000 miles I put on mine and very good in the wet at our rally at VIR several years ago. There in nothing wrong with this car in my opinion that needs to be modified.
Proper maintenance is important.
Sadly it is 12 degreen here in deep snow.
I am at my farm in Erie County Pennsylvania.
Just drive it.
Andy (ajb)

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Welcome,
I'm with Specracer on the film and tires. I did these two after my purchase and swore that would be it and keep everything else stock forever. Exhaust, transmission cooler, shiftier, 321 mods, new vents, and a few others you will see. Tons of reading for you to catch up before you make any big decisions just enjoy the the drive and GT experience. You are off to a good start joining the forum with the most knowledgeable and approachable people on the GT plant!!
Your first Rally will be an awesome eye opening experience.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I didn't realize how bad the Goodyears were until I put on the Bridgestones. Transformed the car.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Congratulations Rick! Welcome to the greatest car group around!

Tomcat

GT Owner
I drove mine stock for 2 years (except Bridgestones and clear bra) until I heard all the exhausts at Carlisle gathering. Reducing ~45 lbs of rear bias weight while reducing underbonnet heat while INCREASING the sound (with a Heffner H-pipe) was an excellent upgrade.
Then pulley and tune a year later...~40,000 miles of FUN!