New owner 2006 BAT auction for GT. Looking for advice for a new owner please.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Welcome and congratulations! I was watching and participating in that auction. It was an interesting one for sure.... You'll love the GT!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The first item on your to do list is to check the age of the tires.Anything older than 3 years old is junk.
Welcome aboard! The car and forum are wonderful!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I found the Goodyears terrible under 60 degrees.

Joe
The 'Stones are even worse.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Read about your donation to the veterans on BAT. Kudos for sharing the wealth.

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Congrats and welcome. That is a good looking GT you purchased with the perfect exhaust setup too. Enjoy in good health.

intrick

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2018
Sonoma, CA
Delivery day!!

Yesterday was a lucky one as I had a text saying the black 06 GT auction at bring a trailer was ending. I never thought that car would sell bellow $250k. With a few minutes to go and it sitting at $227k I jumped in....and a few minutes later it was mine. After 24 hours to think about it....no buyers remorse. Can't wait to get it. I just sold an AMG SLS GT and a Mclaren so the garage wants it, my wife loves it and I had the $ w o having to sell something. Pretty much the perfect storm.

So, with that said, I will clear wrap it and.... then what? I plan on driving it regularly but not as my daily. Any suggestions or references to other posts for new owners would be welcome.

I am thrilled to be a part of this community and to meet you soon.

Rick

Ok, she arrived this am. Immediately went up to AV8 (american V8), w my friend and owner Darrell. W 3 race techs we went through everything. The previously indicated accident with the dealer in 2006 appears to be cosmetic only. Very nice work as it appears nothing was replaced at this time. No clam shell issues or damage. Car is super clean, mechanically tight, drives perfect, underneath is super clean. looks 9 out of 10. Basically a 6k mile great driver with minimal wear. Ford racing headers sound HUGE!! Took the car on the skid paddock. Damn, I get it now! Pure drivers car. You better have quick hands and a great right foot on throttle. I could easily do some controlled drifts and catch throttle oversteer.. why didn't you tell me this was possibly the best car ever? LA,la,la LOVE it.

Good years are great btw. I drive a shelby GT350R w cup 2's which are superior but honestly for the street, these are just fine. Warm em up and remember "absolute power requires absolute responsibility"!

I will post a full inspection, disclose everything good and bad and post pics shortly!

Got to go out to the garage and just look at it,

By,

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 284

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
That is terrific! Sounds like you got a great car for a great price, and very smart of you to get a feel for the limits of the car in a safe environment. They are a hoot, that is for sure! Congrats.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Welcome aboard! I think that most everything has been said so far. Except that I'll repeat, make sure those Goodyears are warmed up before pushing the car. Probably won't be as much of an issue for you as it is for us in the northeast. Also, decide what YOU want to do with the car. There are a lot of terrific ways to customize the car, but Ford has some pretty great engineers and the car was terrific right out of the box. As you've found out already, a mostly stock 10 year old + car is still a wonderful drive. Enjoy!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Pulley and tune best bang for the buck on these cars

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Rick, you'll spend a lot of time in the garage "just looking at it!"

I don't remember if someone posted the list of improvements on the other thread covering your new car, but search for it and see what's on there. Some are "must-do's" and others strictly personal preference. Did your car come with the short shifter installed? Some people swear by those, but I find the stock one quite satisfying. Going to the short shifter will make the throws 30% shorter, but also 30% harder. Don't mess with most of these mods until you have a chance to see them or drive them in someone else's car.

Which is one of the many reasons you NEED to come to the annual rally--wherever our ring leader decides that will be this year.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
yes - attend Rally 13.
Location is a secret.
andy (ajb)

intrick

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2018
Sonoma, CA
PeteK,

I hope I can make the rally. How do I find out about it?

I love the sfiter as is. Its sublime. I would have to try a shorty to see if it was better but kinda....why? I am sure others will feel diff.

Mine has a pulley tune SCT and ford racing headers. Sounds like a beast and pulls like one too. I really dont care about MORE. I am confident it is beyond what is safe on the street as is.

I will not change the good years until I wear them out. I am in Nor cal. No prob w temp. They feel better than my PZeros did on my Mclaren. They fit the feel of the car. It feels predictable and trusting.

The car has the single DIN w a pioneer head unit. Super clean install w back up cam (thank you previous owner). I just dont have a manual and it has no model number anywhere including in the software menus. It has voice activation, 2 GPS sensors Sirious XM sensor and laser/radar apparently (I can see all the connects) but I have no idea how to access these features which is frustrating. I believe it has bluetooth in the head unit but again no way to sync my phone (I have been through every menu and it shows up but just not accessing it)

the only thing I would change is the seat height. I am 6'4". any ideas here?

again thx. I am trying to lean how to search the forum for answers but in the meantime, assistance is appreciated.

This car is truly a great example. Lucky for me others were scared off by the "accident" (which was nothing but probably a showroom backup into a ford fiesta :) and or title history. It even has paint correction and a ceramic coating. Getting it clear wrapped shortly.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
PeteK,

I hope I can make the rally. How do I find out about it?

The next one hasn't been scheduled yet. Watch the Rally subforum for announcements on location and dates. The easiest way to see new stuff is to use the "New Posts" button (at the top ribbon below the Home button).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
the only thing I would change is the seat height. I am 6'4". any ideas here?

Some have taken the seat to an uphostlery shop and had some of the stuffing removed from the bottom. You'll want to look into this before the rally track day as you'll have to have a helmet, and at 6'0" I had trouble finding a helmet that wouldn't rub the top of the door.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Intrick, did you get any information on who manufactured your double DIN console enclosure?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Congrats intirick! Welcome to the best car forum in the world!

Ed

intrick

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2018
Sonoma, CA
I did not get any double din info. I have the original piece w the original macintosh set aside. I am actually trying to figure out what exactly was installed on my car. It is a pioneer w an HDD and CD. It is hooked up to a back up cam (awesome). there is a sirius xm transceiver but it apears to be separate and I cant find the port to plug that in. There is voice recognition (a little mic) and it works with the pioneer for the nav. There are 2 or 3 GPS transceivers installed but not sure for what except the nav? There appears to be an installed laser /radar detector but I cannto figure out what to connect to it.

Obviously a lot of questions. I checked w the seller and he thinks he can get me all the info. If I get the make of the DIN i will let you know.

intrick

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2018
Sonoma, CA
Ed,

thank you. So far this appears to be true. Get forum and great, helpful people. I have had the car for just over 24 hours and I have received amazing support. Luckily I have a great racing shop that builds ford racing cars. We are going through everything. My tech has access to the experts on the forum and is not to proud to reach out. Out of the gate the car is better than I could have expected. Even my wife thinks the seat is super comfortable. WHo would have thought?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Steve Hemstock / Knights Auto Works in Wisconsin has done many seat lowerings.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
As for the seat height, your interim fix is to recline the seat and slide it forward a couple notches. In addition to lowering the seat and taking out padding, you have another option: installing a "Gurney bump" in the top of the door. Search the forum to see what that is. I'm 6'1" (used to be 6'2", but the disks in my back are squashing down with age), and I'm fairly snug. and I don't see how some of the guys fit in their cars, because several of them are taller than you. Blue Moose is about 6'7".