Cold Temp. tire concern on new 2017 FGT

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Looking for advice. I will need to move my new 2017 FGT out of the garage onto my driveway apron on Thursday.
I am getting new garage door tracks, motor etc installed to give more ceiling height for another 4 post hoist to be installed in January.
Project should take 4-5 hours then I can move the car back inside. (garage is heated )

ISSUE:
-Temperatures here today are low of 1 degree F with a high of 14 degress F for the daytime.
-Thursday is projected to be low 9 degrees F with a high of 16 degress F.
Owners manual says do not mount tires or roll the tires if they drop below 19 degrees F. Warm slowly to 41 degrees.

What do you think my options are?
-cover the tires with blankets
-buy 4 heating pads and drape them over the tires.? and plug them in..
-park with tires on wood plates instead of directly on the asphalt ?
-park on wood and just don't worry so much?
-How much time is required for the tires to drop to 19 degrees F ? from 65 degrees?

and Frank, Chip, Brian and others.... moving south is not an option.

any advice is appreciated..
andy (ajb)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Looking for advice. I will need to move my new 2017 FGT out of the garage onto my driveway apron on Thursday.
I am getting new garage door tracks, motor etc installed to give more ceiling height for another 4 post hoist to be installed in January.
Project should take 4-5 hours then I can move the car back inside. (garage is heated )

ISSUE:
-Temperatures here today are low of 1 degree F with a high of 14 degress F for the daytime.
-Thursday is projected to be low 9 degrees F with a high of 16 degress F.
Owners manual says do not mount tires or roll the tires if they drop below 19 degrees F. Warm slowly to 41 degrees.

What do you think my options are?
-cover the tires with blankets
-buy 4 heating pads and drape them over the tires.? and plug them in..
-park with tires on wood plates instead of directly on the asphalt ?
-park on wood and just don't worry so much?
-How much time is required for the tires to drop to 19 degrees F ? from 65 degrees?

and Frank, Chip, Brian and others.... moving south is not an option.

any advice is appreciated..
andy (ajb)

Contact the tire rack or call Michelin customer service to ask the tire experts..:biggrin

Backing up and Parking on top of some plywood or sheets of foam insulation will isolate the tires from direct contact of the cold pavement.
Than do your wrapping and heating.
Good luck and may the force be with you. .

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Don’t try to do a burn out or drive fast. Stormcat had a better answer.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Jeez, don't you guys have something more important to worry about? Ya think tires turn to glass at below freezing temps? Yer just rollin' it out into the driveway and then back into the garage...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Andy is putting the car in your trailer an option. .. ?? If so that's the easy solution. . Up off the pavement add some heat and you've got a bun in the oven.. that or one of those single car inflatable jobs....:biggrin

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Jeez, don't you guys have something more important to worry about? Ya think tires turn to glass at below freezing temps? Yer just rollin' it out into the driveway and then back into the garage...

Actually they do. The rubber will Crack at those temperatures.. probably $1300 to $1400 to replace them

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just take tires and wheels to the Garage Mahal

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As Stormcat mentioned, this is a real possibility. Ford learned this on 350R's, and suspended winter deliveries (last year if I recall). Reliable has climate controlled trailers (clay model transport), and I assume our delivery in February will use one of these trailers.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
just curious how would they deliver a car to any upper midwest state right now? With travel times and the weather being -8 degrees? the tires would clearly go sub 40 degrees for a day or two..

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.........Frank, Chip, Brian and others.... moving south is not an option.

Any advice is appreciated..
Andy (ajb)

It blows my mind that any tire would be damaged by a few hours of cold temps but it is what it is. I suggest putting your car in a car trailer for the day with a small propane heater. That will keep everything well above freezing.

Chip

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Enclosed trailer sounds like the way to go. Do you have any near-by friends with indoor, heated space to fit a trailer? It sounds like the garage door is not a big deal, but my experience has been unless I am directly in-charge of the project myself, anything can happen. I'd prepare for an overnight deal just in case. Good luck!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
As Stormcat mentioned, this is a real possibility. Ford learned this on 350R's, and suspended winter deliveries (last year if I recall). Reliable has climate controlled trailers (clay model transport), and I assume our delivery in February will use one of these trailers.

Started on Corvette. GM replaced a lot of cracked tires at dealers over it.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Store your GT's in my Ga Raj Mahal in California... no worries... drive year around.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Change schedule

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thank you for the correction, 350 didnt seem like the beginning.

Started on Corvette. GM replaced a lot of cracked tires at dealers over it.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
put the car on wheel dollies, you can move the car around easily without the wheels turning at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=groKe4Y4hLk

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've driven the new GT in the upper teens in Flagstaff, but started out in Sedona at 40. Highway driving keeps the tires warm, and the teens quickly turn to 30+ as the morning progresses. Won't take the new one out if I know it will sit for any length of time in less than 20 degrees. I monitor tire pressures to verify tires are warm. The old GT, Ghetto GT, is my cold weather driver. Recent Ghetto GT tire failure positively due to screw in tread. Looking forward to driving new GT in light snow. Soon. But only because liquid blue should look so good in white background.

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
thanks for all the input guys... Here is what I decided to do.
1. Tomorrow am I will wait till garage guys arrive.
2. then back new GT out of garage and onto 1 inch hard foam building insulation under each tire (to keep tires off pavement)
3. Purchased 4 furniture blankets at harbor freight ($5.99 each) that will cover fully each tire and wheels assy.
4. purchased 4 small heating pads at CVS / Meijers ($20 each)
5. have several long extension cords ready to plug into garage electric outlets.
6. Heating pads only run for 60 minutes at a time... I will check every 30 minutes.
7, Garage tracks should be installed in 4-5 hours..
Hope it all works out.

andy ((ajb)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Seems easier to knock an opening into house & roll the NGT inside. Only seems reasonable.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
If this guy can do it so can you!

Ed

Attachments

• laferrari-owner-keeps-his-car-in-the-living-room-103499_1.jpg
    laferrari-owner-keeps-his-car-in-the-living-room-103499_1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 190