December 2017 Passenger Airbag Recall Status

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sadly its not Ford, is our federal government mandating the notices. The ones I get from BMW only list a VIN, not even the year and model of the car. Cant tell if I still own the car or not.

Ihave a one-inch thick stack of recall notices, dealer never has the parts. Message to Ford - we get it, we need to replace the airbags, but quit sending notices please until you have the parts in stock!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Same story in Florida. I went to the dealer just to see what they knew. Basically nothing. I asked how a part for my car would magically show up at their shop for me when I did not buy the car there. They had no clue. Suggested I contact them when parts start being shipped and they would order one for me.
Big Deal!

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Based on the information we have received from Ford, it is my understanding that the Passenger Airbag Inflator for both recalls 16S26 and 17S01 (same part number) is now available. It looks like customer letters already went out for 16S26 and letters for 17S01 should hit soon. Ford is currently in the process of shipping seed stock (initial parts) for these recalls to dealers which may take another couple of weeks. How many seed stock parts (if any) a dealer receives may vary depending on where they are located geographically and how many Mustangs and GTs they sold, or are registered in their market.

If your local dealer does NOT have the part yet, they can submit a VIN-specific parts order to Ford's Special Service Support Center but that will require an open repair order with your VIN and current mileage before that request can be made.

I hope that helps clarify things. For anyone in Southeast Michigan, we'd be happy to help facilitate your repair. If you're not near us but are looking for more information, message me with your VIN and I'll see if I can help.

Brian

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Based on the information we have received from Ford, it is my understanding that the Passenger Airbag Inflator for both recalls 16S26 and 17S01 (same part number) is now available. It looks like customer letters already went out for 16S26 and letters for 17S01 should hit soon. Ford is currently in the process of shipping seed stock (initial parts) for these recalls to dealers which may take another couple of weeks. How many seed stock parts (if any) a dealer receives may vary depending on where they are located geographically and how many Mustangs and GTs they sold, or are registered in their market.

If your local dealer does NOT have the part yet, they can submit a VIN-specific parts order to Ford's Special Service Support Center but that will require an open repair order with your VIN and current mileage before that request can be made.

I hope that helps clarify things. For anyone in Southeast Michigan, we'd be happy to help facilitate your repair. If you're not near us but are looking for more information, message me with your VIN and I'll see if I can help.

Brian

Perfect! Sincerely appreciate that concise explanation and offer!

I'll be contacting your service department if/when spring ever arrives here in Michigan.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Too bad I'm not near southern MI.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Too bad I'm not near southern MI.

+1

My biggest issue is letting the dealer handle it. :frown

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Anyone have success getting this done/installed yet after that last letter ? My pass airbag is still on order with no ETA. Don't know why Ford would send out letters saying the parts are in when they aren't.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
It looks like customer letters already went out for 16S26 and letters for 17S01 should hit soon. Ford is currently in the process of shipping seed stock (initial parts) for these recalls to dealers which may take another couple of weeks.
Brian

We did get the letters and before parts availability :confused :rofl

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I recently purchased a car that needs both. The previous owner was waiting for the passenger to become available for this reason. Can anyone provide an estimated time to replace both? Can it be done while I am present in a few hours? Thanks for your input!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Anyone have success getting this done/installed yet after that last letter ? My pass airbag is still on order with no ETA. Don't know why Ford would send out letters saying the parts are in when they aren't.

Gentlemen,

Yes I’ve had success here. My local Ford dealer called me and he has my passenger airbag parts in stock and will put them in on Tuesday morning. They swapped my drivers side airbag out about a month ago. Unlike the drivers airbag the passenger unit will take several hours to swap out.

Chip

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland

Brian

Thanks BRIAN for explaining the process further for all of us. The legal team that rights this stuff and controls the process should learn something from your post.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Chip - are you using Autonation or Sanderson for the swap?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I just spoke with my local Ford dealer regarding the passenger side recall. They said they had 15 replacements in stock. When I asked why so many, they said the part number is also for a Mustang GT. Can anyone confirm this? It seems odd that we waited all this time for a part that I thought was specific to the Ford GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just spoke with my local Ford dealer regarding the passenger side recall. They said they had 15 replacements in stock. When I asked why so many, they said the part number is also for a Mustang GT. Can anyone confirm this? It seems odd that we waited all this time for a part that I thought was specific to the Ford GT.

It is the same for the Mustang.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
It is the same for the Mustang.

Thanks!

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Visited my local dealer here in Port Lavaca, Texas and he has both in Stock and we scheduled an appointment. From what I read here in the Forum the following are times that have been stated to repair both sides. I need both.

Drivers Side 5 minutes

Passenger side 4 bolts 40 minutes..

Anyone that can confirm or had a different experience, please comment!

thanks all!

Doug

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I've had the drivers side and passenger side (temporary fix) done at different times. I would guess an hour total for both, maybe less if they jump on it right away. Having new passenger side actuator installed next week.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visited my local dealer here in Port Lavaca, Texas and he has both in Stock and we scheduled an appointment. From what I read here in the Forum the following are times that have been stated to repair both sides. I need both.

Drivers Side 5 minutes

Passenger side 4 bolts 40 minutes..

Anyone that can confirm or had a different experience, please comment!

thanks all!

Doug

Doug,

That’s exactly how much time it took to swap both inflators out on my ‘06 GT. The tech who did mine had done several others so he was very quick and did it while I waited.

Chip

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Doug,

That’s exactly how much time it took to swap both inflators out on my ‘06 GT. The tech who did mine had done several others so he was very quick and did it while I waited.

Chip

Chip,

Do you know if it was done without removing the lower dash panel?

AJK

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip,

Do you know if it was done without removing the lower dash panel?

AJK

I didn’t watch so don’t know, but it must have been really simple as it was done so fast.

Chip