December 2017 Passenger Airbag Recall Status

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
"...we are expecting remedy parts to become available for certain vehicles in the Spring of 2018."

It's taken longer to develop a tuna fish can sized air bag inflator than it took to develop the entire Ford GT.

Yes, such an "***IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL***" that you're not supposed to have a passenger for two years.

"WARNING: Until remedy parts become available, do not allow anyone to sit in the first row passenger seat."

Yes, I know you can turn the air bag off. That's not the point though, eh?

New Doc 2017-12-22_1.jpg

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Until this is fixed Amy will be driving and you will be shotgun.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Interesting Not that long no air bags at all. Heck we didn't even use the seat belts until it became law.
While appreciate safety and all its benefits, I think we were much tougher a while back. Or maybe less intelligent.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Interesting Not that long no air bags at all. Heck we didn't even use the seat belts until it became law.
While appreciate safety and all its benefits, I think we were much tougher a while back. Or maybe less intelligent.
What you were back then was more dead and maimed.

27f9ed752c8143e2e2dc7567041a1a32.jpg

Last edited:

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
I will be confining all of my passengers to the second row passenger seat ! Seriously, thanks for posting this! I just may see everyone at the 2018 Rally after all- looking forward to it!
Dave

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Got the same notice today

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes, I know you can turn the air bag off. That's not the point though, eh?

I am guessing the point of the wording is to discourage the inevitable lawsuits

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal

In my baby days my parents used to put me on the top of the dash board to get some sun while they drove to get moonshine and cigarettes :biggrin

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Just yesterday a friend described to me how his dad transported his family of four in the 50's in his two-seat business coupe. His dad removed the panel behind the front seats and above the trunk. My buddy and his brother each sat on a three legged stool in the trunk with their heads sticking out of the space behind the front seats. Paints a funny, frightening picture.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I will be confining all of my passengers to the second row passenger seat ! Seriously, thanks for posting this! I just may see everyone at the 2018 Rally after all- looking forward to it!
Dave

who will you have the re & re done by?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I still see people carrying others in the bed of their pickup trucks. No seats, no seat belts and very illegal. Or how about the people standing in the back of a pickup holding the refrigerator so it doesn't fall over while traveling 70 mph on the highway. They have no clue how many G's a hard breaking maneuver would add to the weight of that refrigerator and other items crushing them against the cab. People continue to be clueless, doesn't make it right.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
who will you have the re & re done by?

Mike Hocking over at Polito Ford. Once the airbag is available, they will complete the import process for me.
DG

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I have not received this letter yet. My dealer has been standing by for all my GT's waiting for years to get the passenger side airbags. Maybe this coming Spring? We will see.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I have no clue how I survived my childhood. Didn't have any safety stuff. Drove my 55 ford Sunliner with the top down and no seatbelts. Just don't run into things.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Sh!t happens.

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
Sh!t happens.

Especially today, there is more of it out there!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
My wife is one of nine kids. Imagine a station wagon with 2 adults and nine kids. A couple of toddlers lying down in the back window. Army brats. One time at a gas station, the parents left one behind...temporarily.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Heh, heh! Yeah, families were a bit bigger back then. Mine was relatively moderate, with "only" 4 kids. Military brats too. Somehow we all survived without helicopter parents and hand sanitizers and made successes out of ourselves. These days we would be called "free range kids" and some nosey neighbor would probably call child protective services...

But to get back to the subject of the discussion, my dad was an early adopter of seat belts and even retrofitted them to our cars that didn't come with them. You couldn't do that with airbags today. And how important are airbags anyway if you use your seatbelt correctly? I note that race cars don't have airbags. Just saying'.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Airbags with Takata inflators can kill you, I'll take the old fashioned seat belt any day, thank you.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
My letter had been sitting in my mail pile a week or so, so I have no idea when it came. Apparently I should not have driven Gabrielle this past weekend.