Joe Macura & Making A 427 Sideoiler run 7000+

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
A young man who drives it with skills I no longer possess. I would not want to run it inside those concrete walls at any time. If you watch how much correction he puts in keep in mind that the steering is one turn lock to lock. I am not sure my hands ever moved that fast. His name is Scott Fraser and one of the best drivers I have ever ridden with and that includes people like Jackie Stewart, Bob Bondurant and a senior Porsche test driver at the Ring.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Very impressive!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
First gear the entire time, huh? What is your final drive ratio? Stock Toploader four speed?

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
First gear the entire time, huh? What is your final drive ratio? Stock Toploader four speed?

That’s what I wondered. He never shifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I didn't see the need to shift. I would love to have that broad of a power curve. And RPM range

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I didn't see the need to shift. I would love to have that broad of a power curve. And RPM range

Agree, that’s why I mentioned it. Impressive.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
The rear gear is 4.88 to 1, the transmission is a 4 speed Jerico with dog rings and a 2.2 first gear no clutch is necessary to shift. Shifts cost too much time so that is the reason for big RPM spread and high numerical ratio. We ran it this weekend at the Del Mar Goodguys show and found that we touched 9400 on the only straight area of the track. Scott set fastest time both days won the pro class but clipped a pylon in the 16 car shoot out and could not overcome the 2 second penalty. He was always at least 1 full second faster than our competitors and many times two seconds faster. Our rear ride height was about .125 too high which made for a little more over steer than we wanted but once the shootout starts we try not to adjust to maintain consistency. We changed the VE map during the weekend which helped clean up low speed stumbles but we need to do a little more chassis tuning now to get the best out of it. According to the on board data acquisition there was another second available. We are putting new tires on and will start working on shock tuning now. Our tires were a year and half old so new tires will also help improve times. I had new tires in the trailer but these surfaces are so slick that you can't scuff them there so we need to scuff them before running the next Goodguys event. I will post the video when we down load it so you can hear an FE turning 9400.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
That was incredible! I tried that in my CSX4000 with the original huge wooden steering wheel and it was very, very hard to keep the car between the cones....

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
The rear gear is 4.88 to 1, the transmission is a 4 speed Jerico with dog rings and a 2.2 first gear no clutch is necessary to shift. Shifts cost too much time so that is the reason for big RPM spread and high numerical ratio. We ran it this weekend at the Del Mar Goodguys show and found that we touched 9400 on the only straight area of the track. Scott set fastest time both days won the pro class but clipped a pylon in the 16 car shoot out and could not overcome the 2 second penalty. He was always at least 1 full second faster than our competitors and many times two seconds faster. Our rear ride height was about .125 too high which made for a little more over steer than we wanted but once the shootout starts we try not to adjust to maintain consistency. We changed the VE map during the weekend which helped clean up low speed stumbles but we need to do a little more chassis tuning now to get the best out of it. According to the on board data acquisition there was another second available. We are putting new tires on and will start working on shock tuning now. Our tires were a year and half old so new tires will also help improve times. I had new tires in the trailer but these surfaces are so slick that you can't scuff them there so we need to scuff them before running the next Goodguys event. I will post the video when we down load it so you can hear an FE turning 9400.

Thanks for the additional information- that’s quite a car, for so many reasons. Congratulations and good luck. Can’t wait to see and hear the next video!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
An FE turning 9400 is insane. That's Winston Cup small block RPM. And faster than the incredible 5.2 flat-plane VooDoo engine.

Reactions: soroush

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Here is the video of the run where he clipped a start/finish pylon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnTvAizlQwA

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Damn impressive car, damn impressive driver. Too bad about the cone. Thanks for sharing!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Back in the day I purchased a motor from a Chevy enthusiast. He had this "Ford FE" motor he wanted to take out of a Ford street rod he had just bought and he was going to replace it with a Chevy 350 small block. He told me over the phone he was positive it was a 390 cubic inch motor. When I arrived I immediately saw it was a freshly built 427 sideoiler with medium riser heads and a two four barrel aluminum intake manifold. I didn't correct him and paid him his full asking price of $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just seeing this post, I’ve never heard you tell this story before. I’ve had a similar experience. It all started when I was working on an old boat in a marina. A loud mouth Chevy guy came by and started talking about how he was scrapping an old Chris Craft and it had Ford 427s in it. Knowing the history of Chris Craft, I knew he could be correct. I asked him what he was going to do with the engines he said: He’d be all over them if they were Chevy 327s, but since they were Ford’s he was sending them to the scrap yard. I asked if I could have them and he said if you can get them out you can have them! I immediately put a plan into action. The next day I showed up and sure enough, there was a 1968 Chris Craft constellation up on blocks. The engines were sitting inside below the galley. Having thought this might be the case, I fired up my chainsaw and proceeded to cut a large hole through the roof of the boat. Needless to say, I created quite the curiosity around the boat yard! Within one hour, I had both engines disconnected and was waiting on a cherry picker to help pluck them from the boat. Not long after, I had both strapped down on my trailer heading home before anyone knew what was going on...
Here’s one before I started building it for my ‘70 Mach 1 project:
f7284747670a87712a789a563ff8ce75.jpg

Back from the machine shop:
f9a339f144dfd6ac78af1e7d725a499c.jpg
431e50a16ffc9c4bac9e39cbf9506dc5.jpg
a97f86c1549e52e9fecb958a91efe061.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I own two cars with original 427 side oilers, one a GT49,the other a CSX4000 Cobra. I am always amazed at the torque, sound, and unique “feel” of these motors.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
@Special K

Were those side oilers or center oilers?

Blue Thunder heads and T&D rockers?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Joe Macura & Making A 427 Sideoiler run 7000+

@Special K

Were those side oilers or center oilers?

Blue Thunder heads and T&D rockers?

One center, and one side. This one is the center Oiler, which was reverse rotation. I am reusing the crank, but had the knurling reversed to sling oil away from the rear main seal. After talking extensively with Lee Holman at Holman Moody, I decided to build the center Oiler for my Mach 1 project. He said unless your spinning it up for long durations above 7k the oil supply to the mains is sufficient. The issue on the center oilers had to do with the centrifugal force of the crank spinning the oil out faster than the oil passages could flow, of which the side oilers corrected that issue.
Since this will be a cruiser, I played it “safe” with a complete Edelbrock performer package and PRW rockers. From what I’ve researched, Blue Thunder heads do flow better (Holman Moody uses them on their builds). I’m going to save the side Oiler for either a GT40 or Cobra build down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I also bought a pair of 427 marine engines and they were also one side oiler and one center oiler. That was in the drag racing days, but it is hard to 500ci out of an FE, yet alone 600 ci, and that was the end of my FE collection.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am with you 598, I run 604's in my boat.

But I do have a 428 powered Mustang so I am always interested in FE builds. Blue Thunder heads are awesome, but they can be hard to find at times. Also, their exhaust ports are higher, which could make fitment in a Mustang even more challenging

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Here is the video of the run where he clipped a start/finish pylon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnTvAizlQwA

This is a video of the last outing in November of 2018, it is well sorted here and defeated a field of the top 32 cars ranging from a brace of Warren Johnson engined tube frame Corvettes to Robby Unser with a tube frame silhouette Camaro. As a result my driver was named autoxer of the year for Good-Guys. I am currently working on a new front suspension with cartridge bearings for 2019 which should improve handling and braking.

https://www.facebook.com/DestinationGarage/videos/2284337571796204/

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Very pleasing to watch, sound is phenomenal also.