Joe Macura & Making A 427 Sideoiler run 7000+

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This are some damn impressive numbers for an FE. Having Art Francis heads is absolutely a game changer on the power levels.

Sounds like a no-expense spared build. :cheers

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
This are some damn impressive numbers for an FE. Having Art Francis heads is absolutely a game changer on the power levels.

Sounds like a no-expense spared build. :cheers

Thank you, I was trying to get a broader power range and was very happy with the results. Engine made 431 lb/ft and 266 hp at 3250.
At 9000 it makes 461 lb/ft and 790 hp so it has a huge power range.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What main and rod journal sizes did you end up with?

H-Beam or I-Beam Carillos? Steel?

Love to see pictures!

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
FE Engine

The engine uses the standard main bearings of the Shelby block but Honda sized rod bearings . Rods are steel, wanted them to live for awhile. Bore is 4.330 stroke is 3.75 Compression is 15 to 1 cam is 287 @.050 and 292 @.050 LIFT .818. It sounds like it would be radical but my Cobra is so light it is fairly docile until the throttle is opened. I have a very slow throttle cam and ignition retard based traction control. The rod picture shows the old 498 cid rod for comparison.

Attachments

• light weight rod.jpg
    light weight rod.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 158
  • piston 2.jpg
    piston 2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 163
  • chamber.jpg
    chamber.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 159
  • liight weight crank.jpg
    liight weight crank.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 165

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, Cool choice on going smaller but staying steel H-Beam.

Pockets look nice and clean too. I have several 385 series Bryant Cranks and Carillo H-beam engines, but nothing that compact. Not even close :biggrin

15:1. What Octane do you need to prevent detonation?

Very interesting build, Car included. Kirkham?

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
FE Engine

I use 114 octane leaded but sometimes VP16, the car (CSX3170) is an original car. It has been invited to the muscle car exhibit at the
Grand National Roadster Show this month. Here is a shot of a sign board that will be with the car that tells a bit about it.

Attachments

• IMG_1481 (1).jpg
    IMG_1481 (1).jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 161

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just keeps getting better.

I would have been impressed with a replica.

18" & 19" wheels, obviously modern rubber for time trials?

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I'd love to see suspension pics if possible. Sounds like a wonderful car. I got away from the FE 's late 1990s to the 385 series because it was so easy to gain cubes for drag racing, but I've always had a soft spot for them. What are you running for oiling and ignition?

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
The 385 is a great engine design proper bore spacing and good cylinder heads available. I tried to find suspension build pictures but they must be on my old computer. The ignition is a crank fired MSD 6AL controlled by a FAST XFI 2.0 ECU. I have a Daily dry sump pump that pulls 13" of vacuum so no ring flutter. The dry sump tank and pan are Stef's, the system holds 16 quarts of oil and the tank is trunk mounted. Headers are 2 1/8" primaries with a 3 1/2" collector. The steering is power now and is very quick, one turn lock to lock. I have a data acquisition system system that measures G loads in all dimensions and this thing is still pulling over 1 G acceleration at 90 mph. We get over 1.4 G lateral and 1.2 G braking on Bridgestone 200 TW tires. Transmission is a Jerrico dog ring design so no clutch needed for shifting. The rear end is an independent aluminum Dana 44 unit with 4.88 gears and Truetrac differential.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
That is a beast. I figured with those RPMs and the 2 keyway crank you were dry. With those gears do you spend much time below 4K? Dana makes sense for survivability in the wonderfully harsh conditions you have created. Given what your car is in its entirety, you should be the bell of the ball at your upcoming show. Congrats.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
What happened to the 427 tunnelport engine that the car had in the 70s? Does it still have the hood scope, side pipes, rollbar? I would love to see a photo. Will you be in AZ for the car auctions.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
It actually pulls very well as low as 2500 in second gear, in fact it will light the tires even at that low a speed so you have to be very delicate with throttle application.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
FE Engine

I still have that engine it is a period correct side oiler with the wide bearing NASCAR crank and Chrysler style NASCAR rods. I suppose I will have to put medium riser heads and manifold back on if I sell it as originally built. I will leave that up to the widow because I am not selling it. Yes it looks the same, here is a picture, Not attending Scottsdale have to have hand surgery. Funny thing, I have been banging those knock offs on and off for 52 years, but this year it gave me Carpal Tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 294

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Beautiful car. Good luck with your surgery.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
As I have observed countless times over the years, most GM people have a low IQ.

Yeah, and they think the SBC is God's gift, the end to end all LOL.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great thread resurrection.

I was telling a friend about your Honda sized Rods. What diameter are the big ends and Pin diameter?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It had a full restoration by Mike McClusky in 2009.

I was having a discussion about some Cobras with a friend from Shelby and Mike's name came up. We wondered if he was even active any more. This then made me realize that the folks that do original Cobra (and GT40) restorations are all getting up there, and there aren't really any young'ns popping into that portion of the industry. Dave Murray has also cut way back.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Here is an in car video of the car with new engine on a tight little GoodGuys autox course. You can tell it likes to rev and sounds quite different than the average FE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyZoCYXeOFU&t=0s&index=2&list=UU0CJQuj-tI4J89NccUhpJ1Q

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
who is driving? He looks too young to be the original purchaser. :wink

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
sounds fantastic!