So...you think your cars are expensive to maintain?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Things to consider before you purchase that F1.

[video=youtube;EsKDGdcb6BQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=474&v=EsKDGdcb6BQ[/video]

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
regardless that the guy sounds like he can easily afford it, that's just crazy money to maintain. nice piece but geez! sounds similar to a friend of mine who has an extensive collection of everything from new to old. well over 200 cars. I asked him which car did he like the most and he said the lafararri. I couldn't say too much because he owns Ford GTs as well. I then asked him what car did he hate the most. he quickly replied his new Bugatti Veron. I asked why?
even with his collection and obviously funds to support it, he is livid how much an oil change costs for the Veron. a staggering $20,000.00 because they have to pull the front clip off to change the oil. he found a deal for $15,000.00. he was happy!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
The guy is mistaken about the F1 engine, it was designed specifically for the F1 by BMW, not “just a standard BMW motor” as he claimed.

On a much lower scale, I just got my 12C back from service. As I was picking it up, my wife said “what’s wrong with the headlights?” I hadn’t noticed, but both units had fungus growing inside them as a result of moisture getting inside. I asked how much to fix, and the service manager said $10,000! Not covered by warranty either! After a bit of “back and forth” with Woking about why should owners pay for an obvious design/ manufacturing defect, It’s back in the shop getting the headlights fixed for free.....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
After a bit of “back and forth” with Woking...

Helps that you speak the language.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I don’t care how much money I had, that’s rediculous. And the bit about every tire needing to be balanced on the car is dubious. At LeMans I see thousands of tires used on race cars and they aren’t balanced “on the track”. They mount them and race.

Chip

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I hadn’t noticed, but both units had fungus growing inside them as a result of moisture getting inside

It’s not fungus. It’s a little English countryside foliage so you wouldn’t get home sick.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I'm sorry 50k for tires . Rich people without a clue about cars should not own exotic cars. Bolt the tires on and drive it 25 in a school zone . I'm sure it will be fine. It's because you pay that they charge you. A guy just pmed me he paid 6k for a custom intake for his GT. Again you have to much money and ruin it for the rest of us. I'm floored. I have some trick wipers for $2000 and must be replaced every 5 yrs.lol. 15k oil change ? I would figure it out myself before I paid that. Who designs a car that needs a front clip removes for a oil change.

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Remember what the Great P.T. Barnum once said about people and their money.
andy (ajb)

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Pretty sure that I know who the original owner of that car is. Very wealthy oil man locally. He would drive the hell out of his cars. He had a Veyron and when he got rid of it it had over 20k miles on it. Yet if you saw him walking down the street you wouldn't think he had a dollar to his name.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Things to consider before you purchase that F1.

[video=youtube;EsKDGdcb6BQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=474&v=EsKDGdcb6BQ[/video]

Sounds like McLaren was blowing a lot of smoke up this guys butt. I'd find a local race shop and put on new tires, or keep the 3 year old ones if your taking your kid to school, dear god. $110K fuel cell, dont know whats involved but safe to say thats ridiculous. I own a couple expensive cars, I've learned the cheap ones are just as fun, if not more. And drive it on the track, not to school. :facepalm:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal