How many cars will be delivered in total in 2017?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I guess 2017 will be a rare year for a Ford GT??
How many will be delivered to customers before the end of the year?

No European cars have been flown in yet. (apart from press cars and perhaps one or two for some CEO's)

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankTheTank

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2016
Austin, Texas
I’m guessing 135-140... what is the over/under on that?

Frank the Tank

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I don’t know exactly but Ford extended the 2017 model year through November and maybe into December. From DBK’s posts I believe it will be about 115.

Chip

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
According to data just published in Automotive News, 16 GTs were "sold" in November bringing the year to date number to 80 through end of November. Given the Holidays in December, maybe 16 more in December will be tough - so the total for the year will likely not hit 100.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
According to data just published in Automotive News, 16 GTs were "sold" in November bringing the year to date number to 80 through end of November. Given the Holidays in December, maybe 16 more in December will be tough - so the total for the year will likely not hit 100.

As I've posted repeatedly, the sales data published in the report lags the actual delivery total. They are already over 100.

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
As I've posted repeatedly, the sales data published in the report lags the actual delivery total. They are already over 100.

Ford's monthly sales call for investors today showed 9 December GT deliveries for a calendar 2017 total of 89. How much did this lag actual deliveries by and what is the 2018 production outlook - how long do we have to wait if we are in the third batch of 250 cars?

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2018/01/03/dec17-sales.pdf

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was told this morning by a very reliable source (unnamed) that there are right at 100 2017 Ford GT’s delivered in 2017 with a very few still in the plant as 2018’s are already in production!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes they are!

2018’s are already in production!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
9 a month is a long way from 21 a month.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That estimate is incorrect and they delivered well over 100 cars total.

They are building 5 a week.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
that's good to hear. too much BS about it out on the net

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Five a week has the been the goal & now they are there! It's looking good!!!

Ed

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.

Great news Dave. Best I've heard all year! Keep em coming! Thank you Ford Performance!

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I know the vin. Numbers did not get assembled or get delivered in order but I have H120 setting in my garage. The 2018 units will have a different letter in front of the number. Quality way more important than quantity. Final numbers will be released in do time.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

When is a car sold?

Sales reports are important. They can move markets. The numbers are reflected in corporate accounting.

Are sales numbers "incorrect?" Or do they simply reflect a generally accepted method of accounting?

I believe (subject to being wrong) that the monthly auto sales data captures sales to final customers. But what is a sale? A sale is a transfer of title.

A car is made in November, put on a transporter in December, paid for by a customer and delivered to the customer on December 31, with temporary title transferred to the customer on January 2. The car is reported as a sale in January (I think).

So, if I have that right, the sales reports are "correct," but still subject to revision for errors. However, sales reports will never match production reports. Sales reports should be close to delivery numbers though, especially for the GT where I expect very little lag between transport and title transfer to the customer. GTs are not going to sit in dealer inventory.

If you accept sales reports as real numbers (not estimates), then the discrepancy between sales (~80?) and "delivered well over 100" is hard to explain if delivered = sale (i.e., in the hands of the customer).

Of more interest to most of us than this accounting exercise is "they are building 5 a week." This represents the full planned production rate and is, I think, full production capacity. Which means there cannot be a catch up to the planned 1,000 cars in four years.

Assuming 100 GTs produced in year one, the simple math says that production is lagging the plan by 30 weeks (150 cars behind plan divided by five cars per week equals 30 weeks).

This leaves three scenarios:

1. Production can somehow be increased to six cars per week (which would allow about 1,000 cars in four years of production if it took effect immediately).

2. Production will be extended beyond four years to reach 1,000 cars.

3. Production will cease after four years with fewer than 1,000 cars (~850?).

Scenario 3 would be the sad trombone scenario.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Look, all I can tell you is that if you're looking at the sales report for guidance of how many Ford GTs have been produced, put on a truck (and now plane), and delivered into the hands of a customer who has paid for the vehicle, you are wasting your time. You can try and figure out what the disparity is for whatever reason on a car that for all intents and purposes is effectively unavailable or accept that the GT process is obviously different than how they account for F-150s.

You're saying assuming 100 GTs were produced in year one. There is no assumption. It was more than 100 cars. I knew exactly how many cars had been produced and delivered pretty much on a daily basis through September, until they really started delivering them and I stopped keeping track when they got to around 60 delivered. This was pretty easy to do when more than 10% of the vehicles were delivered to the building I'm literally sitting in. Needless to say, people from the program, not just the Concierge, have been here frequently. So I physically watched cars come off Reliable trucks, watched Bernardo and Lynsey do the delivery for people who paid for the car, with a dealer representative present, knew what number delivery the car was, and then watched how far the sales report lagged.

The second part is equally fruitless to speculate on because, again, asymmetric information for all 3 scenarios.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know the vin. Numbers did not get assembled or get delivered in order but I have H120 setting in my garage. The 2018 units will have a different letter in front of the number. Quality way more important than quantity. Final numbers will be released in do time.

So if my car was build last year, but will be delivered later this month is is in fact a 2017 car as per VIN number??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
With all due respect, Dave, every GT owner I speak too - most especially those those slated to get a new car, are at a minimum, nervous. Ford produced less than half the GTs they planned to in 2017. Without splitting hairs, they are some 150 cars behind where they wanted to be. The allegation is that they are now at the planned 5 cars per week. This is a great achievement, no doubt. But, they must stay at or above this rate while obviously maintaining their quality standards, etc. I doubt that anyone thinks it will be easy and it is probably a best case scenario that they can deliver 250 cars in 2018. This still leaves them 150 cars behind. I would assume that being (and remaining) at no more than 150 cars behind is likely a best case scenario - as neither yourself nor allegedly any communication to buyers has stated a plan consistent with making up this deficit. Q1 2018 will be telling. To be on an annual plan rate, Ford will presumably need to deliver 70 or so NFGTs. Maybe folks will settle down as they see this happen - but will likely have increased anxiety if the alleged rate challenges have not been put behind them. I, and many others, hope they succeed.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Speaking for Midwest guys slated with allocations, we're not nervous.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
With all due respect, Dave, every GT owner I speak too - most especially those those slated to get a new car, are at a minimum, nervous. Ford produced less than half the GTs they planned to in 2017. Without splitting hairs, they are some 150 cars behind where they wanted to be. The allegation is that they are now at the planned 5 cars per week. This is a great achievement, no doubt. But, they must stay at or above this rate while obviously maintaining their quality standards, etc. I doubt that anyone thinks it will be easy and it is probably a best case scenario that they can deliver 250 cars in 2018. This still leaves them 150 cars behind. I would assume that being (and remaining) at no more than 150 cars behind is likely a best case scenario - as neither yourself nor allegedly any communication to buyers has stated a plan consistent with making up this deficit. Q1 2018 will be telling. To be on an annual plan rate, Ford will presumably need to deliver 70 or so NFGTs. Maybe folks will settle down as they see this happen - but will likely have increased anxiety if the alleged rate challenges have not been put behind them. I, and many others, hope they succeed.

What, exactly, are they nervous about? If anyone in line for a new GT is anything besides overjoyed, they should step aside and let someone who will not be nervous take their place.