Focus RS vs Shelby GT350 at M1 Concourse

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
What shop was that?

Also why did the swap a FPC for a cross plane?

Fantastic stuff there.. You will have far more fun in one of those vs a street car.

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
I believe that is Dean Martin's shop. KohR Motorsports.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
What shop was that?

Also why did the swap a FPC for a cross plane?

Fantastic stuff there.. You will have far more fun in one of those vs a street car.

The reason for the modification of the Voodoo engine is due to the vibration on a FPC engine damages components on a race car. The crossplane is a much better race engine (smoother)

Dean Martin's KohR Motorsports. scode is correct.

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Dean Martin's shop did the suspension and brake work on my GT500. The other place to check out is Capaldi Racing. They are also the company that Multimatic hired to do most of the testing on the new Ford GT. Leo Capaldi is a great guy and has a ton of racing experience/background.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Capaldi used to post here a long time ago.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hmmm, with all the 5.2 bits available to build a cross plane from Ford Performance, surprised you would incur the expense of a GT350, to change it to a cross plane. I totally can understand why you would want a cross plane for durability in a racing situation.

SOOOOO did you buy a cool track toy?

The reason for the modification of the Voodoo engine is due to the vibration on a FPC engine damages components on a race car. The crossplane is a much better race engine (smoother).

Partnered with the Mumm Brothers, they were legends in the SCCA Specracer series in the 90's. Their attention to details was mind blowing to me back in the day.

http://www.mummbrothers.com/

Leo Capaldi is a great guy and has a ton of racing experience/background.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Specracer, no I have not pulled the trigger on a track toy. I am going to visit Watson Racing this afternoon. This is the shop that builds the FPGT350S. Ill post photos later. I'm enjoying learning as I go through this process of deciding what to buy.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Watson like so many other shops know mustangs so well, enjoy the search!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I love the sound and feel of the FPC, the flat torque curve is very nice coming out of the corners.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Watson Racing was amazing. All the FPGT350S cars were in one building, close to delivery. They did not allow photos.
During the tour I saw a gorgeous GT350 race car being built for Nick S. I will let him describe his build since he is a Forum member.

I called Nick and got some advice from him regarding my search for a track car. He said he is also converting his FPC to CPC engine. Based on his advice, I will be placing a deposit on one of Dean Martins build at KohR Motorsports this AM. The car should be completed before the snow melts.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
It's probably much easier to build a CPC for racing with parts change out and such.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
It's probably much easier to build a CPC for racing with parts change out and such.

The Aluminator crate engine is $20,000. Labor and parts to convert your existing FPC is around $7.500.

From Ford Performance site: This brand-new, hand-assembled Ford Performance crate engine has been engineered to make your Mustang perform beyond expectation. It uses the same technology and hardware from the Shelby GT350 to engineer this 5.2L cross-plane crankshaft engine. With its awesome 580 horsepower, this engine is considered to be the most powerful naturally aspirated engine manufactured by Ford Performance.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I will be placing a deposit on one of Dean Martins build at KohR Motorsports this AM. The car should be completed before the snow melts.

Congrats. You wont regret it. Kohr does great work.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thats fantastic! You will be much happier in the long run with a dedicated track car.

Congrats!