Dec 31, 2007
What is the other car?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Too funny I thought the same thing!

Its the "new" Saleen S1 (its a "reboot" of the 2008 Artega GT)

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=21737

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Looks like a Lotus Evora on steroids.

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Looks like a caricature. Dont like.

alexhay3

Subscribing Spectator
Nov 2, 2016
Duxbury, MA
What is the other car?
Wondered the same thing, myself, and felt like it was reminiscent of the Can You Identify This Car question Doug DeMuro puts out every Monday on Oversteer.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Too funny I thought the same thing!

Its the "new" Saleen S1 (its a "reboot" of the 2008 Artega GT)

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=21737

Oh yeah I read about that the other day. The title was Saleen builds a $100K sports car. I thought that he might have actually come up with something interesting. Maybe a blown V-8 Ford motor...then I read Turbocharged 4cyl engine!!

Seriously what happen to this guy. Talk about a fall from grace. Saleen use to be the name everyone knew and respected. Now he is just smoke and mirrors.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
He told me this summer he still had 2 of the S7's available (he bought back what was auctioned a bit ago, a long stoty) if your looking for the old V-8 Saleen.

If the S1 doesn't weigh anything could be fun (not even pondering buying one). Lets also see if any ever hit the streets.

Smoke and mirrors might be being kind.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
The car's rear end is gorgeous... 911 like. Also nice to see that Steve seems to have trimmed down and is looking much healthier than I saw him last in Carlisle a few years ago.:thumbsup

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
The car's rear end is gorgeous... 911 like. Also nice to see that Steve seems to have trimmed down and is looking much healthier than I saw him last in Carlisle a few years ago.:thumbsup

It is interesting, the rear end is very sleek, but indeed overall looks like an Evora on steroids. It was quoted that 450 HP is the target for the 4 cylinder. I understand that Henrick Fisker penned the original body design back in 2007-8.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Some technical info that I received last night:

CORONA, CA —December 7, 2017, Following the successful launch of Saleen 1 at the LA Auto Show last week, Saleen Automotive, Inc., has released more information on Steve Saleen’s newest creation. This modern, all-new, two-seater, mid-engine sports car is equipped with Supercar credentials.

The Saleen 1 features a 2.5L, I4, high output, turbocharged, Saleen-designed engine generating 450 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque with a top speed of 180mph. Standard is a 6-speed manual transmission with an optional paddle-shifter automatic to be offered at a later date.

The aluminum tub and carbon fiber body of the Saleen 1 weighs in at 2,685 pounds. The combination of horsepower and weight creates a power-to-weight ratio that places Saleen 1 within the ranks of the high-performance elite.

Equipped with independent wishbone suspension, Saleen 1 will ride on wide wheels shod in 255/30/ZR20 front and 335/25/ZR20 rear Continental Tires achieving 1.2Gs on the skid pad. The 15-inch calipers and rotors, front and rear, provide ultimate stopping power. The front to rear weight bias is perfectly balanced at 42F/58R.

The innovative design of Saleen 1, with its seductive contours, results in greater downforce while reducing high speed lift and generating a greater air flow to give the car better speed and agility. It is a car built for the road or the track, utilizing Steve Saleen’s 35-plus years of success in design, manufacturing, and racing.

As an original concept by one of the world’s most innovative car designers, the Saleen 1 interior is constructed to deliver optimum control, safety, and comfort. With bold racing-inspired instrumentation, the luxury of high-end leathers and suede, and use of Alcantera throughout the interior cabin, the car holds true to its Supercar heritage. Amenities such as the latest electronic connectivity, Sirius radio, and Apple Play wrapped in a six-speaker sound system enhance the riding experience. The subtle—yet plentiful—storage such as cup holders, door panel pockets, compartments in the console and behind the seats, alcove in the center stack, and up front suitcase storage assist in making Saleen 1 extremely suitable for every day driving and longer trips.

Production of Saleen 1 will begin soon at Saleen’s Corona, California, location. With a planned production run of 1,500 Saleen 1s yearly, the car will be available in Saleen’s 12 special colors, including Tire Smoke Pearl White, Lizstick Red (Candy Apple Red), and Beryllium (Copper).

Amazingly, all this power and unequaled design, accompanied with a 3-year, 36,000-mile warranty, is available for only $100,000. A deposit of $1,000 will secure your order today.

Additional information at www.saleen.com

Media contact: cbenty@saleen.com

EDIT, A friend talked to them at LAAS and max price all optioned up is $117k. Im wondering with that lowish premium over base, if they might not be offering their optional colors like LizStick, Berillium etc, as these are expensive options on Mustangs.

Last edited:

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I saw the press pictures when they came out. It looks like a 911 from the back to me as well, with a hint of the new vanquish from the rear side. I would have to see one in person, but the S7 still has my heart compared to this. Although if it weighs 2700ish lbs, that thing will be FUN! 4cyl or not. Would I put $100K down? Probably not, I'd get a gt4 for my $