Now that takata is bankrupt

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I am pretty sure I will never see the passenger side replacement now. I do not want my wife riding with the potentially defective unit. No way my Ford dealer will disconnect it, so what can be done? I can't believe that we are just going to get stuck with this but I don't see Ford helping either.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Takata's bankruptcy is a legal ploy. They are basically dissolving the old company and shedding all of the financial baggage. The company buying the floor sweepings will continue making air bag inflators.

That said, the responsibility for the replacement is with FORD. If Takata's successor can't supply them they will have to find someone who will.

Ford's exposure is actually a fairly small percentage of total production. There are others like Toyota and Nissan where Takata was the primary, nearly 100%, supplier.

This whole thing is going to take a long time...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am pretty sure I will never see the passenger side replacement now. I do not want my wife riding with the potentially defective unit. No way my Ford dealer will disconnect it, so what can be done? I can't believe that we are just going to get stuck with this but I don't see Ford helping either.

Um... Just turn it off,,, Insert key and twist.. :biggrin Remember the days with no seat belts and no air bags... Turn of the airbag and trust the belts will do the job.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Agreed
And agreed it’s Fords problem to deal with us. They sold the car....
They chose the part..

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Derry if you have forgotten, there is a key slot on the dash, that allows you to turn off the passenger airbag.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Well......what about the driver's airbag?? The 'current' replacements are thought to be defective as well.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well......what about the driver's airbag?? The replacements are thought to be defective as well.

There were two drivers side recalls. First one was a temporary fix with the same as before. Second was a final fix. There was actually a third early one that was more of a fact gathering mission targeted to the southeast and other humid areas.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Thanks Specracer and Stormcat, I did forget about the key switch. Car and manual are in the air on a lift tucked away for winter. My wife will feel better, we have cars we ride in without airbags.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
It seems Ford is putting air bags in cars and trucks today from another source. They should source a LOT of air bags to replace all of ours. Can't cost that much even if they wholesaled them to us at the dealer. The labor is still on them and the parts can't be that expensive at production cost. Only need 4000 of each side to get the problem over with. I would not mind a reasonable charge to fix this right.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Well......what about the driver's airbag?? The 'current' replacements are thought to be defective as well.

Pull the airbag and disconnect it. 10 minutes tops if you take a break to eat a snack.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I may disconnect mine as it is easy to do. Just does not seem right.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Correct me if I wrong, but wont that throw a CEL, and at least in MA, prevent one from getting an inspection sticker? If I could Id yank them all, vs dealing with the recalls.

Pull the airbag and disconnect it. 10 minutes tops if you take a break to eat a snack.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Industry (OEM airbag) capacity is a major concern. Autoliv, ZF/TRW and Key Industries (Takata successor) supply most of the OE production, and they size their operations to service OE production and limited service requirements.

One time (large scale) events like the Takata recall, cannot be easily remedied with the existing industry footprint and investment. Replacement part demand has to be prioritized in conjunction with regular production. There is also a small but important issue that the initial/original part was validated in various crash/impact scenarios. The propellant used in the replacement canisters is different and some engineering is required to ensure the replacement part performs as expected.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As safety evolves does it create more issues? We have airbags that hurt you, will these automated braking systems now increase rear end collisions?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Only need 4000 of each side to get the problem over with. I would not mind a reasonable charge to fix this right.

I think they need to replace hundreds of thousands all together.

I would be willing to share costs too.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't get the paranoia.

The driver side part is available NOW. Just go down to the dealer and get it replaced.

The passenger side is not anywhere on anyone's horizon. If the fear of it doing a bad thing exceeds the benefit of it probably doing a good thing (really, how often do you have a passenger anyway), then simply turn it off with the key switch on the dash.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
As safety evolves does it create more issues? We have airbags that hurt you, will these automated braking systems now increase rear end collisions?

As long as everything performs as intended - no. LOL

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I don't get the paranoia.

My paranoia is letting a dealer near the car.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My paranoia is letting a dealer near the car.

The driver side is a piece of cake. They've done so many of them - the Mustang is basically the same procedure - that they know how to do it. I think it's two screws. The little "plugs" that cover the holes might get broken so take pictures before. Passenger side is a little more problematic because you have to drop the lower portion of the dash - but still with proper care a good GT tech ought not to have any issues. But that's beside the point since there aren't any parts available yet. I've heard some dealers will still make the house call in which case you can observe them doing it. I'm waiting for both parts to be available and will ask them to do the visit. The dealer owner is a friend and I'll get the one that does the work on his car.

Another option for the passenger side might be to remove the assembly yourself and bring it to the dealer for canister replacement. I removed the whole airbag assembly on my Mustang and once you know where the bolts are you can do it without dropping the lower portion of the panel. I had to use a ratchet extender and angle thingie. I don't know about the GT but you might be able to scope it out by using a mirror. The whole thing about it on both cars is making sure you don't scuff/scar the front surface. As I recall the GT requires you to remove the passenger side kick panel (continuation of the trans tunnel). Lots of blue tape.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I was under the impression that due to liability, the dealer had to do the install, tho I would like that option.

Side note; if you are using blue tape still, I suggest trying yellow Frog Tape. Better protection, easier removal, no residue.