Now that takata is bankrupt

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was under the impression that due to liability, the dealer had to do the install, tho I would like that option.

Side note; if you are using blue tape still, I suggest trying yellow Frog Tape. Better protection, easier removal, no residue.

In the scenario I describe - that of removing the housing and having the detonator installed in the housing - I think it meets the spirit of it. However, the dealer might have to scan things and for sure he's going to need a VIN. I can tell you for sure they're not going to give you the detonator to do it yourself. Al telephone call to the service manager would tell you if they'll go for it. Explain your concern over having them disassemble the car and see what they say. It's a moot point though since those of us in the early stages of grey and bald will be at end stage grey and bald before the part comes.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In the scenario I describe - that of removing the housing and having the detonator installed in the housing - I think it meets the spirit of it. However, the dealer might have to scan things and for sure he's going to need a VIN. I can tell you for sure they're not going to give you the detonator to do it yourself. Al telephone call to the service manager would tell you if they'll go for it. Explain your concern over having them disassemble the car and see what they say. It's a moot point though since those of us in the early stages of grey and bald will be at end stage grey and bald before the part comes.

All good suggestions. :cheers

+1 on ETA of parts.