NGT Towing Instructional Video / Opening doors with dead battery

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
People that have taken delivery and had a full run down on the car probably already knew this, but I have not yet.

I thought car needed to be running to be in neutral. There are 2 ways to get the car into neutral, electronic for 30 minutes (series of button presses in the car). And second, mechanically through the floor of the "trunk".

Also how to open the door with a dead battery, and jump start points, as the battery is buried.

https://vimeo.com/210285186

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Great info!
Thank you,
Mark

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks for posting.
Good stuff.:thumbsup

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
thx. all good. Didn't know about the 30 minute neutral mode. That part was not reviewed with me at delivery. Good to know.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Good find! You must be getting ready! ;-))

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ha, yes, but I also ran into a friend yesterday that owns a tow company.

Good find! You must be getting ready! ;-))

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great post. Thank you!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
One thing to note about the manual tool. The transmission parking pawl is spring loaded so someone has to hold it forward to get it into neutral. The other problem is if the battery is dead you need to get a charge on or to get the electric e-brake off and then use the tool...

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
This is super useful. Thanks Andy.

Vince H

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
thx. all good. Didn't know about the 30 minute neutral mode. That part was not reviewed with me at delivery. Good to know.

I wasn’t informed of this either [emoji848]

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sounds to me like you boys were sleeping in class again. Thanks Andy.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Speaking of dead battery, anyone determine the manufacturer? It's not Braille.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Man, I'm going to have to save that video on my phone! No way I am remembering all those steps!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Man, I'm going to have to save that video on my phone! No way I am remembering all those steps!

I took a picture of the written instructions. I keep it in my phone :)

Attachments

• 20170902_021955.jpg
    20170902_021955.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 88

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
When my car was delivered this was one of the questions asked. Rich , GT Guy, said there was a problem with winching the car. My delivery guy, Steve, went through the procedure with me. Steve did a great job and stayed for 2+ hours. He noted that opening the door with dead battery is best done with 2 people.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
By the way that was a great post Andy.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Given all this, the vehicle battery being 'charged' is critical since a dead battery precludes many actions.
In my truck , I carry a portable unit that is small but powerful . I may look for an even smaller one , without an air compressor feature, and Keep it in the engine 'trunk' . It should fit. I charge it monthly with just a wall outlet in the garage.
Any one else have one of these.??
andy (ajb)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Given all this, the vehicle battery being 'charged' is critical since a dead battery precludes many actions.
In my truck , I carry a portable unit that is small but powerful . I may look for an even smaller one , without an air compressor feature, and Keep it in the engine 'trunk' . It should fit. I charge it monthly with just a wall outlet in the garage.
Any one else have one of these.??
andy (ajb)

A small battery pack is a good idea. There is an air compressor in your trunk :)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I wasn’t informed of this either [emoji848]

Ditto. I’m going to print out those steps and keep a copy in the GT as well as on my phone.

Chip

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
is there a battery pack out there that we can attach directly to the terminals in the front? As I understand it the CTech charger that comes with the car is designed specifically for our lithium battery in the car.