250+ mph TESLA Roadster

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Another cost to consider with solar is homeowner’s insurance companies cringe when the hear solar... Since the panels are so costly to replace.

Everyone will be overjoyed to hear that Tesla has a potential solution for that with their solar roof tiles. Apparently there are production delays.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Thanks for the actual data from you guys. That's what we need to calculate whether solar panels make sense for us. In my case, where I live in Virginia, electricity is relatively cheap, and we don't have near as many sunny days as CA and AZ. Can't make an economic case for it here.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Everyone will be overjoyed to hear that Tesla has a potential solution for that with their solar roof tiles. Apparently there are production delays.

The Tesla tile system is actually quite appealing. They seem to be built to withstand hail and wind, and here where tile roofs are the norm, would be a natural. But they are PRICEY!!! With Nevada Energy cutting out the "reverse meter" credits the payoff is approaching "never" to replace an existing roof. New construction is a different story. The cost makes it unlikely for the middle-income housing say in the 300K range, but for houses above say 500-600K the adder is reasonable. The tradeoff is similar to the math in buying a new car to replace an older gas guzzler: I can buy a lot of gas (electricity) for the difference in cost over a new car (cost adder for roof tile).

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
"confirmed orders for Tesla Semi trucks and it just reached 55 trucks"

Tesla is not going away.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
"confirmed orders for Tesla Semi trucks and it just reached 55 trucks"

Tesla is not going away.

Looking for an edge - Short haul shipping is ultra competitive and the various interested parties are compelled to investigate options to enhance competitiveness. Many of the interested are in CA where the environment is more conducive to battery electric performance.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I also liked the system (the Looks are really good) and it was clear that it wasn‘t to be cheap at the start. I think it might get interesting after 2-5 years of production to see if adapted production and economics of scale are going to make a difference.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The semi orders are just another joke. It's $5k to reserve a semi. I truly don't know how Wal-Mart will come up with that kind of cash.

I'm sure the roads will be filled with them by the purported delivery date of 2019. And by filled, I mean there will be literally none of them on the road, but on the eve of the original delivery dates, Musk will introduce a new 400 mph all-electric driverless motorcycle for 2023. His desk will now be on the other side of the plant. The toll on him will be heavy.

FWIW, Tesla is now burning about $500k an hour. That is a truly impressive feat.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I just hope they are not too big to fail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
My take on this is they will work the legislative angle to outlaw non electric commercial vehicles in certain cities, London already has something similar to this. He seems to base his every business model on a lot of government favor.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
FWIW, Tesla is now burning about $500k an hour. That is a truly impressive feat.

Musk is really proud of having sold $300,000 worth of his Boreing Company hats though so that will cover 40 minutes of Tesla’s cash burn. The toll this is taking on him is similar to the pressure Bernie Madoff must have been feeling when he knew the jig would be up soon enough. I’ve posted on this forum for years that Tesla is a dead man walking. I didn’t think they would make it this long but my assessment hasn’t changed.

Chip

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I'm no fanboy, but the dude is a well needed game changer in the space industry. I don't give two shits about his golf cart endeavors, but you are talking about him while he doesn't give two shits about you and presses on with ballsy endeavors. Actually, he is a direct competitor to my bread and butter but I like him more and more because of all the hate he receives for attempting the impossible. Failure is an option!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I'm no fanboy, but the dude is a well needed game changer in the space industry. I don't give two shits about his golf cart endeavors, but you are talking about him while he doesn't give two shits about you and presses on with ballsy endeavors. Actually, he is a direct competitor to my bread and butter but I like him more and more because of all the hate he receives for attempting the impossible. Failure is an option!

You’re absolutely right. His biography is worth the read. IMHO he has earned his place with industrialists Henry Ford, Howard Hughes, and the like. Forget Tesla, his real passion and accomplishments are in SpaceX. He will not stop until he puts a man on Mars. People can hate all they want, but a man that tells the Russians to go F$&@ themselves in an ICBM purchase, and then proceeds to build his own rockets is, the real deal. As far as how he obtains his funding, any truly determined entrepreneur would take similar steps to reach their objective.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The three most important things in private equity / venture capital are:

-Management Team
-Management Team
-Management Team

Musk is the rare Founder / CEO combination that exists between 0.5 and 1.0 a decade.

Vast majority are a one-trick pony or worse show-pony.

"Execution experts" are what got us sugar-water wannabes, DOS-copies, Chick-EOs, and blackberries.

Deny at your own peril.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Don't misconstrue the reason some of us think he's a dipshit. Space shit, fine great. But there's nothing ballsy or impossible about losing huge amounts of money on federally-subsidized luxury cars sold to primarily in a state that has dumped hundreds of millions on consumers to reward them for buying them. It's super possible. You give me billions and I will waste that shit on money losing luxury electric cars right now.

His true skill is taking advantage of what's become a quasi public-private financing model built on an irrational and ill-informed environmentalist zeitgeist. Buyers, individual and corporate, certainly buy Tesla as a mode of vehicular virtue signaling. I'm quite sure there are literally rich Californians driving around their $140k Model X, partially paid for by their grandkids, thinking they are saving some Indonesian kid today from dumpster diving for rat meat after unnatural monsoons would have otherwise blown down his formerly pristine village.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
thinking they are saving some Indonesian kid today from dumpster diving for rat meat after unnatural monsoons would have otherwise blown down his formerly pristine village.

Is this a DBK or Dennis Miller rant? I’m not sure... [emoji23]

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Don't misconstrue the reason some of us think he's a dipshit. Space shit, fine great. But there's nothing ballsy or impossible about losing huge amounts of money on federally-subsidized luxury cars sold to primarily in a state that has dumped hundreds of millions on consumers to reward them for buying them. It's super possible. You give me billions and I will waste that shit on money losing luxury electric cars right now.

His true skill is taking advantage of what's become a quasi public-private financing model built on an irrational and ill-informed environmentalist zeitgeist. Buyers, individual and corporate, certainly buy Tesla as a mode of vehicular virtue signaling. I'm quite sure there are literally rich Californians driving around their $140k Model X, partially paid for by their grandkids, thinking they are saving some Indonesian kid today from dumpster diving for rat meat after unnatural monsoons would have otherwise blown down his formerly pristine village.

I think you may have missed your calling. Have you ever considered your own late night talk show?? Certainly more intellectual and entertaining than the current choices, but unfortunately probably wouldn't do well in the Nielsens on either the left or right coasts. :wink

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is this a DBK or Dennis Miller rant? I’m not sure... [emoji23]

Very much like Miller in style.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I went to the Tesla Showroom today at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. They said they already have 30 deposits for the Founder's Edition ($250k total cost) Roadster. Deposit requirement: $45k and Remaining purchase portion: $200k due within 10 days. The regular Roadster is $45k down and the remaining portion due upon delivery. Did I mention this vehicle is scheduled to arrive in October 2020. My interest is piqued but that's quite a loan for a car that no one has seen on the road. I will give him credit though, I do appreciate his disruption of the industry. I'm corporate factory guy and I will be the first to tell you he has the industry's attention. Even if he doesn't succeed, he is changing the model of Automobile industry as we know it. Just my two cents.