250+ mph TESLA Roadster

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
How much additional cash can this company raise and burn without demonstrating a viable business plan?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It's doubtful there will be any 'Teslaesque' capital/production/company failure issues/concerns whirling around this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/pors...cept-packs-the-equivalent-of-600-horsepower-1

...and if it actually looks like this - wifey wants one!

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
4 doors that open in an entirely new way? What was old is new again.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Put down a 200+K deposit an be first in line for the car if it is ever produced and last in line in bankruptcy court if the company fails.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
We need a POC of the POC......

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
My simple thought...

WHO CARES???!!!

I would think most car enthusiasts do.

If the Roadster goes into production, consider what other cars are capable of 250mph and what they cost in comparison. You would be looking at Bugatti or Koenigsegg, neither of which would come close to matching the other Roadster acceleration figures.

Even if you are not interested in owning an electric performance car, and I probably am not, this could drastically change the whole industry. Why would a car company that is focused on all out performance continue to bother with internal combustion engines? If Ford decides to make another GT somewhere down the road, the chances of it being all electric must have just increased sharply.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
I got a ride in the car, it was ridiculous and the car is much father along than I expected, no way I would give them $250k for 2 years, but I'll own one of these for sure when it's time. The level of acceleration to run 8's in the 1/4 mile and pull 250+ MPH for $200k is astounding. Not to mention these performance numbers are for the "BASE" model, there will be options to make it faster.

Innovation and disruption always brings heat, but I believe Tesla will make it. Electric cars are the future, no question about it.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
EVs will make great cars for the uninspired masses. There is so much more to the driving experience than acceleration. Tesla must keep hyping this metric because its cars offer nothing else to the driving enthusiast. I've driven them. After the novelty of the acceleration quickly wore off, they were boring as hell. No sound, no vibration, no sense that I was in a machine with the slightest hint of passion. Just like pushing the "start" button on my microwave. Boy howdy, that was fun! Can I push the button again?! Buy hey, I'm not the type of guy who gets a boner when a new Apple product comes out, so perhaps I just don't get it.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Put down a 200+K deposit an be first in line for the car if it is ever produced and last in line in bankruptcy court if the company fails.

There are several issues being discussed here.

1) Is Tesla going to be a viable company in the future? I think its a Ponzi scheme. Their financials are horrific!
2) Is the electric car the future of supercars? Im no expert but it sure looks like it.
3) Are the performance numbers amazing? YES
4) Styling of the car? Looks like a car Tesla would design. Nothing compared to the FGT.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
EVs will make great cars for the uninspired masses. There is so much more to the driving experience than acceleration. Tesla must keep hyping this metric because its cars offer nothing else to the driving enthusiast. I've driven them. After the novelty of the acceleration quickly wore off, they were boring as hell. No sound, no vibration, no sense that I was in a machine with the slightest hint of passion. Just like pushing the "start" button on my microwave. Boy howdy, that was fun! Can I push the button again?! Buy hey, I'm not the type of guy who gets a boner when a new Apple product comes out, so perhaps I just don't get it.

I couldn't agree more with this statement aside from the fact that I do get excited when Apple comes out with a new product :)

Although electric cars will eventually dominate the automotive industry in time (perhaps a very long time) when the economics finally make sense, it will be a sad day for any auto enthusiast drawn to the sport by an engaging and challenging driving experience as Sinovac points out.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

just put in on your Amex, then your safe :)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I would think most car enthusiasts do.

If the Roadster goes into production, consider what other cars are capable of 250mph and what they cost in comparison. You would be looking at Bugatti or Koenigsegg, neither of which would come close to matching the other Roadster acceleration figures.

Even if you are not interested in owning an electric performance car, and I probably am not, this could drastically change the whole industry. Why would a car company that is focused on all out performance continue to bother with internal combustion engines? If Ford decides to make another GT somewhere down the road, the chances of it being all electric must have just increased sharply.

As mentioned before, clearly it has straight line performance covered but they never said how heavy it will be so we don't know how it will handle itself on a
track. did they say it has 10,000 nm of torque thats ridiculous

this is very much like the revenge of the nerds coming to life... :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
just put in on your Amex, then your safe :)
Right even if my credit limit was high enough I don't think reversing the charges works 2+ years later. But you are welcome to try, just think of all the miles you will get!

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Right even if my credit limit was high enough I don't think reversing the charges works 2+ year later. But you are welcome to try, just think of all the miles you will get!

Its in their contract, if you purchase anything using your amex from a company and that company subsequently goes bankrupt and cannot fulfill its commitment to you, ie not delivering a car or even not being able to honor their warranty you will receive every cent back. Technically if you buy your car with the amex and the company goes bankrupt during the time the car is still under warranty, you can get every cent back!

As for the credit limit that is another issue....

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Innovation and disruption always brings heat, but I believe Tesla will make it. Electric cars are the future, no question about it.

Gentlemen,

There is tremendous question about it. Saying electric cars are the future right now makes as much sense as saying hydrogen cars are the future. The cars work fine but there isn’t any viable way to fuel them on a large scale. And NOBODY is even proposing a viable solution to that.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Gentlemen,

There is tremendous question about it. Saying electric cars are the future right now makes as much sense as saying hydrogen cars are the future. The cars work fine but there isn’t any viable way to fuel them on a large scale. And NOBODY is even proposing a viable solution to that.

Chip

:agree:

Even if only 30% of the current autos were converted to electric the grid would meltdown. The time of use electric rates during charging times would change from lowest rates to the peak rates. People budgeting at a low KWH rate will be surprised! I pay over 40 cent a KWH because the idiots running the state of CA don't understand basic math and science and are just envisioning a utopian green state. Do the math on cost per mile at 40 cent a KWH. CA's plan is to limit production and use of electricity by using a progressive and time of use pricing. If everyone was charging electric cars during the night hours the use during that period would rival a summer afternoon in Phoenix. Every time would be peak time.

As Chip has said many times before, how do you distribute anything in high demand where the supply is limited, by rationing or pricing. Do I see CA charging $1 per KWH, I wouldn't be surprised.

BTW CA has a water supply problem too. My water is also tier priced and my marginal rates are more than 1.7 cents per gallon. I betcha I pay some of the highest or not the highest rates for water and electricity in our nation due to the "great utopian" policies of the brainiacs in Sacramento.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The shifting of the energy content consumed in petroleum to the electric grid will result in huge power costs to the lowest income consumers. The costs to charge for "road use" simply isn't there without an infrastructure change. Expect the purchase of an electric vehicle to come with a new meter requirement by your power company along with a commensurate road tax.

It's like when we were living in Colorado in the late 70's. Jimmy Carter's Gas Lines were hours. Except at the diesel truck stops. We bought a 3 year old Mercedes 240D and when everyone was paying 50c/gal for gas (it was alot at the time) and waiting for an hour to get 10 gallons, we were paying 19c/gal for diesel and driving right in and out. Colorado didn't collect road tax on consumer diesel at the time since us passenger vehicles were just an annoying wart on the total consumption. Then they figured out the missing revenue and tax was collected at the pump and diesel jumped to the same price as regular gas over a few years. I still had our diesel (by then a 300D turbo) until the late 80's. The point is that electricity is now a smoking deal for electric cars. It won't be for long.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
Of course it's not going to happen over night, as solar options get more efficient and cheaper many could power their cars off the grid. I know a few people that have solar arrays the easily cover their daily electric car usage.

As per Tesla, "All Superchargers are being converted to solar/battery power. Over time, almost all will disconnect from the electricity grid."

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Of course it's not going to happen over night, as solar options get more efficient and cheaper many could power their cars off the grid. I know a few people that have solar arrays the easily cover their daily electric car usage.

As per Tesla, "All Superchargers are being converted to solar/battery power. Over time, almost all will disconnect from the electricity grid."
Oh, so your car is going to be home during the peak sunlight hours, or you are going to have a bank of batteries at home that cost beaucoup bucks and have a limited lifespan. What happens in the areas where the sunlight isn't as strong and during the raining or snow season? Is the grid going to move the power around to where is is needed?