Heffner Performance, Inc. Titanium Cat Back Exhaust System For the Incredible NGT

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
As quite a few of you know, our friend DBK decided to send his fourth and possibly favorite child, named HO40, down to our facility in Sarasota, Florida a few weeks back. Needless to say we were all pretty excited at just the thought that this car would be arriving. To say I was like a kid on Christmas eve would be a serious understatement. As the door started to open on the back of the trailer and I saw the back end of the car I had goosebumps. So many people would look at these cars that we are fortunate enough to experience and wonder how you could make it any better, or why you would even try. Thankfully I won't be having to come up with an explanation for this need to improve everything we come in contact with to anyone in this group.

As always we took a very methodical approach to designing the exhaust system for this car. Being that titanium is so costly and time consuming to work with we made a few different prototypes out of stainless steel first. We paid close attention to the difference in sound, fitment, proximity to other moving parts or items that could be effected by heat, structural integrity and manufacturability. The final configuration incorporates the best virtues from each of the prototypical designs.

The difference in sound is noticeable. While it is louder, the greatest audible difference is the increased amount of turbo sound. As you are driving around there is now no mistaking that this is a turbocharged car. The sound that the car generates while downshifting is also noticeably improved. Cabin noise level remains very reasonable. Holding a conversation with your passenger or having a phone conversation is still possible without having to raise your voice. The weight savings is right at 20 pounds over the factory muffler.

The last detail to sort out on this system is the exhaust tips. The unfinished look of the straight cut ends of the tubing doesn't sit well with me. We have a couple of different tip being made that we will try out before making our final decision.

I will put together some other video as well as photos of the ready for market product shortly. For now, this will give a good idea as to what the system sounds like inside the car and out.

Thank you, Dave for trusting us with this project.

[video=youtube;Z6vO3p0ZlfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6vO3p0ZlfQ[/video]

Now that we are coming to the end of the development process for this system we are moving on with improvements for a number of other items on the car. Updates on these to follow shortly.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The sound is great! Can't wait to see photos of the system.

Ed

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Great work, Jason. If anyone can sprinkle magic dust on the NGT, its you!

Now I don't have to keep my yapper shut about seeing Dave's car in your shop :)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Good stuff Jason. !! We'll look forward to seeing what else you come up with! ! Did you try any quarter mile runs in Vmax mode so the Wing would stay down?

Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Mmmmm, can't wait to see and hear the difference!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Great work. Is there any HP gains?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
First real mod :club

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I'm with everyone else on this. Can't wait to see it made available. Thank you.

Vince H

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Definitely have my attention now.

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
Hey Brian

Unfortunately I was only able to make one run in the GT that night and on that run the conditions were not great nor was I familiar with all of the possible modes and settings on the car or how they would all respond in the quarter mile environment. On this run obviously the wing was up for the entire run and I did not do any sort of burnout. In these conditions the car ran pretty much exactly what everyone that has tested the car has reported. I was heading out to make another pass planning to heat the tires a bit and run it in v max mode but as I was heading up someone blew up a diesel truck and oiled the entire track down. In light of this I was not willing to risk running the car in potentially dangerous conditions and called it a night. I definitely feel that if the car is run in more ideal conditions and in the proper mode it has much more to offer.

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
Great work. Is there any HP gains?

The horsepower gains that we have seen so far, no matter how we configured the system were minimal. The most we saw was a 5 hp difference. I feel that the real gains will come once the catalytic converters are gone and the boost level is raised.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I feel that the real gains will come once the catalytic converters are gone and the boost level is raised.

Now THAT's the Jason we know and love!!!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
The horsepower gains that we have seen so far, no matter how we configured the system were minimal. The most we saw was a 5 hp difference. I feel that the real gains will come once the catalytic converters are gone and the boost level is raised.

OK so I assume you will make a kit for that set up too!!!

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Now THAT's the Jason we know and love!!!

D41F62C8-6A9C-4CA7-A930-1764D679C006.jpeg

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
OK so I assume you will make a kit for that set up too!!!

Ultimately, yes. There are a number of concerns to be aware of when modifying this new car that were not on the 05/06 cars. Needless to say, I want to make sure that we take a very methodical and responsible approach with this one.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Sounds good and look forward to it!!
Great job and keep up all the excellent work!!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey Brian

Unfortunately I was only able to make one run in the GT that night and on that run the conditions were not great nor was I familiar with all of the possible modes and settings on the car or how they would all respond in the quarter mile environment. On this run obviously the wing was up for the entire run and I did not do any sort of burnout. In these conditions the car ran pretty much exactly what everyone that has tested the car has reported. I was heading out to make another pass planning to heat the tires a bit and run it in v max mode but as I was heading up someone blew up a diesel truck and oiled the entire track down. In light of this I was not willing to risk running the car in potentially dangerous conditions and called it a night. I definitely feel that if the car is run in more ideal conditions and in the proper mode it has much more to offer.

Thanks for the information Jason. I understand the situation at the track.. I mean geez Dave should come down to be your personal concierge to get you familiar with the car. That's what Ford does :). I look forward to what you come up with. You might want to make a note that DBK took his bulkhead insulation panel out so relationship to intetior noise and everyone else's cars might be slightly different. . Keep up the good work!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Was the traction control the reason for it nosing over in1st?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
The omission of the rear bulkhead insulation panel is a great point, Brian. I do believe that the momentary pause in power was the traction control intervening. The car appears to have broken the tires loose on the initial hit so I feel that if I was to warm the tires up a bit the 60 foot time would be a bit better.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Wake up call, spring to action. As Tim Allen would say "need more power". Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: