Borla X-Pipe

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I don't know what the configuration of the factory titanium exhaust is. If it's an x pipe or has a muffler integrated........If it does have a muffler it's probably a little more complex than the x pipe so it's probably a little heavier. As mentioned the x-pipe on my car is a little under 7 lbs without some tips on it that should add a few ounces but not much.

Brian,

Other than the tips the factory Ti exhaust looks almost exactly like the stock stainless exhaust, muffler and all. It is not an X-pipe. So the info given to me has to be off as that would put the Ti exhaust at 9.5 lbs with that big muffler. If a Ti X-pipe weighs 7 lbs with no muffler, the factory Ti must weigh at least 15 lbs with it's muffler. And there should be a noticeable difference in sound between the stock exhaust and an X-pipe at least at full throttle. Ford had no muffler on the grey 2016 GT that Raj drove at Le Mans in 2016. The GT would not pass the maximum decibel level for new cars so the muffler needed to be added to quiet it down.

Chip

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Brian,

He's not saying anything. He writing, but yes, you read/heard that right. Haha!

Vince H

** I was surprised by that as well. **

Ha!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, the stock muffler in my car weighed just over 31 lbs when it was weighed several weeks ago.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The x-pipe with no muffler should be louder. I thought the stock muffler seemed a little on the loud side (especially compared to the stock muffler on our '05-06 GTs). The weight savings is huge with the x-pipe though.

Ed

PS I can see I will need the new x-pipe on my '19 GT so there goes my chance of driving on a 90 or 92db day at Laguna.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Its will be interesting to see how the two aftermarket cat backs currently in development will vary in design and weight.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Just got back to Florida late last night. I didn't fully reassemble my car there because there's some minor Clips I wanted to modify to make future pan removal easier. I decided to weight the OEM muffler tmyself. I've got a pretty expensive scale that I trust...

the guy that built my x pipe said it was about 6 something pounds. I didn't see the exact number but I added some wrap and some heat shielding so I'm sure it's just right around 7lbs..

I'll be driving a car tomorrow for first time on the roads at City speeds and highway speeds I'll give you a report back. At startup and idle the car has a deeper Rumble but it's not loud or raspy and actually sounds more mellow. Can't wait to hear it in the upper powerband!

Back to the shop!

Attachments

• 20171115_183221.jpg
    20171115_183221.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 20171115_181803.jpg
    20171115_181803.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
How much was the exhaust Brian?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
How much was the exhaust Brian?

They're still working on that. They asked me to try to get some feedback on interest to get a feel for the market. I'm the first test guinea pig. I'm going to give them some feedback after I run it for a while.. they built this with their CNC Benders right from Ford data file so they really wanted to see how it fit Etc. This is the first one they built so they didn't really have an idea of total material usage and labor. For doing the titanium Etc.. I'll start driving tomorrow for some real-world feedback

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I drove my car last night for the first time with the x pipe. Drove about a hundred miles to an event in Miami and back. The Borla x pipe has a deeper mellower sound than stock... (I've only been able to hear the car from the back at idle speeds obviously I'll try to make a audio clip). A nicer grumble, slightly louder but not obnoxious. No drone. I was very pleased.!!..

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Can we get more info from DBK on his Heffner exhaust as well as Brian’s feedback on the borla for us folks thinking of upgrading please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Can we get more info from DBK on his Heffner exhaust as well as Brian’s feedback on the borla for us folks thinking of upgrading please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it !! I've spoke with Alex. They will build more but they / he knows it's a very limited market With the changes of the exhaust tip configuration things have got a little complicated.. Call me if you want to discuss details..

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
It will be interesting to see if you combine down pipe with an x-pipe what the car will sound like!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As you know, Im very interested.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
They're still working on that. They asked me to try to get some feedback on interest to get a feel for the market. I'm the first test guinea pig. I'm going to give them some feedback after I run it for a while.. they built this with their CNC Benders right from Ford data file so they really wanted to see how it fit Etc. This is the first one they built so they didn't really have an idea of total material usage and labor. For doing the titanium Etc.. I'll start driving tomorrow for some real-world feedback

Are you changing from the titanium exhaust to the X Pipe or from the stock exhaust?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Chip how does your TI sound?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip how does your TI sound?

Quite as a mouse. I haven't had a chance to put it on yet.

Chip

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Quite as a mouse. I haven't had a chance to put it on yet.

Chip

So it was not installed at the factory?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
We hate quiet!

Reactions: JWZ

xrayman396

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2006
Bucks County Pa
SEMA Borla GT looks great. from their Face Book Page
Anybody there let us know what you think .

Attachments

• IMG_3957.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3960.JPG
    IMG_3960.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 56

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
Does it sound like a 12 cylinder since they have put the two sides together? Just kidding, but wonder what it sounds like.