Electrical issue

Mpinelli24

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2017
Chicago
My right rear parking light is dimly lit when I️ turn my lights on and when I️ activate the turn signal, the right side flashes quickly. I’ve tried replacing the bulb, checking the grounds, swapping the right rear brake light to the left (to try and isolate). Has anyone else had a similar issue and resolved it? I️ have searched the forum with no success.

Btw- my car is a Hennessey 1000, both super charged and twin turbo, if by chance tat has anything to do with it. I️ don’t think so though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Highly recommend that you 'sand off' the black frame paint, down to bare metal where the battery ground strap is secured. 99% of these symptoms are corrected with this quick and simple solution.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Highly recommend that you 'sand off' the black frame paint, down to bare metal where the battery ground strap is secured. 99% of these symptoms are corrected with this quick and simple solution.
+1

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm not understanding this. Is your GT Euro-spec?

Mpinelli24

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2017
Chicago
I'm not understanding this. Is your GT Euro-spec?

Not euro spec

I will try the ground again. Thank you

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Not sure if this will help you or not, but prolly worth a read. Good luck. :thumbsup

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ide-Tail-light-Issue-comes-on-dimly-by-itself

Mpinelli24

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2017
Chicago
Thank you, I’ll read it!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Not euro spec

Then what parking light do you mean?

When you put the light switch in parking light position, the LEDs illuminate. You can't replace those.

You say you replaced the bulb. The only replaceable bulb is the reverse lamp.

You say you swapped right brake light to left. How did you do that since the lights are not swappable (cannot be reused)?

Still confused about what the "parking light" is. Parking, tail, and brake and turn signal are all the same LEDs.

Mpinelli24

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2017
Chicago
It’s the red light on the rear quarter that I am speaking of.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Have you cleaned the pigtail connections?

Mpinelli24

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2017
Chicago
yes, that seemed to help a little, but we also found another ground on the frame. The combination seemed to do the trick! Thank you

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
... the LEDs illuminate. You can't replace those...

I replaced one of my rear brake light bulbs. I had to devise a way to reuse the fasteners but it worked.

Ed

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Please tell us how you did it. My thought is to build up the plastic studs with epoxy to increase the diameter and let the nuts cut new threads.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Please tell us how you did it. My thought is to build up the plastic studs with epoxy to increase the diameter and let the nuts cut new threads.

I added an acrylic resin to the plastic posts. This is a methylmethacrylate resin & bonds to the extisting plastic. It's used in dentistry to make temporary/provision restorations, dentures, retainers, etc. After it set I simply rethreaded the OEM sheet metal nuts onto the post. I think epoxy might be too brittle?

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Translated - superglue.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I added an acrylic resin to the plastic posts. This is a methylmethacrylate resin & bonds to the extisting plastic. It's used in dentistry to make temporary/provision restorations, dentures, retainers, etc. After it set I simply rethreaded the OEM sheet metal nuts onto the post. I think epoxy might be too brittle?

Ed

Ed you still using Jet acrylic ? :) good stuff...

looks like Im not the only one to use dental materials in my car I think my black car was full of polyvinyl siloxane :)

Translated - superglue.

that would be Cyanoacrylate

methyl methacrylate sets hard but it is still somewhat pliable it has much better tensile strength which makes it a good choice for the above project. it wont crack easily.

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Nobody is using amalgam on their tail lights?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Nobody is using amalgam on their tail lights?
I am making a dental appointment to have my tail light cavities filled.

Maybe pick up a tank of N2O.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
All good friends! Ha!

Ed