Oil Cooler leak....

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
Noticed a small oil spot under the car and after pulling the pan i traced it to the oil cooler under the filter housing....got the gasket from ford and changed it ...No leak for the first few drives ..then today after car and coffee i looked and sure enough the leak is back .....the leak must have started on the drive home as i looked after i park at cc and it was dry........ the old gasket looked okay when i pulled it.... see pics...... any thoughts on a fix?

Attachments

• IMG_6453.JPG
    IMG_6453.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_6291.JPG
    IMG_6291.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 246

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The usual advice: try your best to trace to where it's coming from--is it along the seam the gasket seals, or from somewhere in the cooler itself? I'd drive it without the belly pan to more easily see where it comes from.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
are you sure it's not a coolant leak from the 2 hoses going into the cooler?

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
are you sure it's not a coolant leak from the 2 hoses going into the cooler?

Yes sir...100% oil leak....you can see it from the top and the puddle of oil.... I know what the source of leak .....but not sure why the fix (changing the gasket) didn't last......I plan on putting on the rack again and take it all a part look.....just didn't know if this was a known issue or Isolated to my car.....

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
pete,

like I posted above I know the source for the leak but lost as why the fix didn't hold....thanks for the reply....:thumbsup

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
As a Harley builder I would always use a product from Loctite called 515 gasket eliminator, Just put on a clean glove and put on fingers and just gently massage gasket with it before install. Do not need lots just a little bit. My cars and toys do not leak. Touch wood LOL A tube will last forever.

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
As a Harley builder I would always use a product from Loctite called 515 gasket eliminator, Just put on a clean glove and put on fingers and just gently massage gasket with it before install. Do not need lots just a little bit. My cars and toys do not leak. Touch wood LOL A tube will last forever.

thanks for tip ..... I will give that a try after I take everything apart and inspect....for I know I didn't torque the bolts correctly.....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Early on (2006-ish) I seem to remember a couple of GT's with a cracked OEM oil cooler. I would think the gasket is fairly straightforward and you've probably got it right - but it might be the cooler itself.

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
Early on (2006-ish) I seem to remember a couple of GT's with a cracked OEM oil cooler. I would think the gasket is fairly straightforward and you've probably got it right - but it might be the cooler itself.

Thanks.....like u said the gasket was simple.....but i didn't remove the cooler and insect on the bench....That maybe my problem....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Take the cap off of your coolant reservoir and make sure you're not getting any oil in there..... also make sure no coolant in the oil reservoir. An external-only oil leak is a best case scenario for these types of coolers. You'll want to take care of it before it allows either of these two fluids to mix.

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
Take the cap off of your coolant reservoir and make sure you're not getting any oil in there..... also make sure no coolant in the oil reservoir. An external-only oil leak is a best case scenario for these types of coolers. You'll want to take care of it before it allows either of these two fluids to mix.

Hope that is not the case.....that would be a bigger job for me handle ....I plan on working on it first thing tomorrow....