To wrap or not to wrap???

PDiddy

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2017
I can't find any real info on wrapping your GT's. I'm sure it's here but can't find it.

Mine arrives tomorrow and I got call from My concierge I should wrap immediately after I get it.

She said paint will be at perfect curing time for a wrap? Guess they sit on cars for a while after painting them.

She recommended Expel.

I just picked up an R8 Competiition a couple of weeks ago.

It has a wrap and it is kinda yellowed after 2 years.

If You did wrap which one did You do???

I just ordered those stone guards for $299 of this site.

Hope everyone is loving their cars that have received them!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wrap the car. Period. You'll regret it otherwise.

Xpel has patterns for the car. Do not use their rear bumper pattern, it'll melt around the exhausts. The patterns can be cut using any material. My clear bra is SunTek. I find it slightly more optically clear than Xpel but it is marginally thinner.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I have wrapped the entire car, not just the areas that most think that will see potential debris damage. You can check out the thread 088 David Hobbs Tribute.
Get it done. I can't believe the amount if junk that can accumulate. Also the bottom of the doors are under constant attack while driving. I Also put on GTG DBK's screens.
Here is my list.
Also guys here is the list of what my wrap guy did. It is more than just where debris could potentially hit:
This is a true full car wrap!!
Complete Carbon Fiber Under Carriage
2nd layer on Front half of Under Carriage (balance of under carriage still to have 2nd layer done)
Complete Rear Diffuser, including 11 fins
Hood
Roof
Rear Spoiler
Rockers
A-Pillars
Bottom of Doors ( 2 Layers)
Engine Cover
Front Fenders
Rear Quarters
Wind Tunnel (Both Sides & bottom)
Headlights
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
2nd Layer under Exhaust
Mirrors including Carbon Stocks
2nd Layer on impact area behind all four wheels
Door Sills (Satin film)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I just wrapped our 05 this past winter, very glad I finally did. Will 1000% sure will wrap on the NGT. There are a lot of different generations and brands of wraps, and even Xpel has had some issues in the past. A forum member just had his xpel replaced under warranty. When I wrapped the 05, I was told that Xpel has a 10 year warranty against yellowing.

PDiddy

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2017
I have wrapped the entire car, not just the areas that most think that will see potential debris damage. You can check out the thread 088 David Hobbs Tribute.
Get it done. I can't believe the amount if junk that can accumulate. Also the bottom of the doors are under constant attack while driving. I Also put on GTG DBK's screens.
Here is my list.
Also guys here is the list of what my wrap guy did. It is more than just where debris could potentially hit:
This is a true full car wrap!!
Complete Carbon Fiber Under Carriage
2nd layer on Front half of Under Carriage (balance of under carriage still to have 2nd layer done)
Complete Rear Diffuser, including 11 fins
Hood
Roof
Rear Spoiler
Rockers
A-Pillars
Bottom of Doors ( 2 Layers)
Engine Cover
Front Fenders
Rear Quarters
Wind Tunnel (Both Sides & bottom)
Headlights
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
2nd Layer under Exhaust
Mirrors including Carbon Stocks
2nd Layer on impact area behind all four wheels
Door Sills (Satin film)

That's a whole lotta wrapping!!!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
XPel is the best and must be done immediately upon receiving GT. Earlier posts says it all and double coat those areas listed as critical! Windshield is a must to cover also. Total wrap is expensive but a MUST!

Attachments

• 92482156-46DF-4982-8C0C-6F8D2327F071.jpg
    92482156-46DF-4982-8C0C-6F8D2327F071.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 564
  • 107146E0-7A04-46B3-9844-880DCB5C418A.jpg
    107146E0-7A04-46B3-9844-880DCB5C418A.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 558
  • 9937CB12-E292-40D2-AAE1-AEDBA64BED3F.jpg
    9937CB12-E292-40D2-AAE1-AEDBA64BED3F.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 563

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

If you don’t wrap your new GT you will quickly destroy the paint and CF finish on the leading edges of your doors and rear fender openings. The aero opening in the doors gets hit hard too (I have 4 layers there). The beautiful gloss CF finish on the bottom of the doors will be quickly destroyed as well.

Ford sold us something rare and special. A homologation special exact duplicate (body) of a car designed to race and win at Le Mans. Normal NVH standards were waived and even though this radicle body combined with ridiculously sticky tires is a paint & finish nightmare this GT is the real deal in a way that no Ferrari is. Modern films from Xpel and Sun Tec don’t yellow like older films.

Bottom line, you’ll hate yourself and have to endure expensive and ugly damage if you don’t wrap your new GT. Other than 35 mph drives to local car shows with blue painters tape covering venerable areas I didn’t even drive my GT before wrapping it. Cheers.

Chip

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
A must: Aero Tunnel screens, XPel Ultimate wrap entire car, clearplex windshield cover, then Ceramic Pro entire car. Even careful driving your GT with the screens you will pickup small,rocks and particles from the sticky tires as shown in picture. I would recommend finding the best XPel installer in your area and go with the full sheet wrap which will cover the entire car for protection. Again not cheap but a must for this expensive GT. Around $10,000- $12,000 . Even with the screen you will see dust and dirt on surfaces under your doors therefore you need a double wrap under the doors. Good luck and enjoy your new ride! Note: My GT went to Tint World XPel the next day after delivery and was there 14 Days in order to get a perfect full sheet wrap. Please post pictures of your delivery we’re all very excited for you!

Attachments

• AA0247B0-6577-45C1-BDF1-1FD612977660.jpg
    AA0247B0-6577-45C1-BDF1-1FD612977660.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
That's a whole lotta wrapping!!!

You bet!!

Also I have used Venture Shield and Xpel and 3M over the years. The product does keep getting better. Also the colour of the car can make a slight difference.
Venture Shield is owned by 3M.
The latest project used 3M Pro Series.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
...My GT went to Tint World XPel the next day after delivery and was there 14 Days in order to get a perfect full sheet wrap...

That was 2 days to wrap, 2 days to dry/cure & 10 days for them to drive your NGT before you came to get it back! LOL

Ed

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Every time I checked on my GT there was a Mileage verification made for sure! Ha Ha. They actually wanted me to check their work on a daily basis as John Anhalt the owner of Tint World and his installer Austin were very proud of their work as this GT has become their show CAR in the Houston Area.

Attachments

• C677379B-7E67-4593-85C3-A62BE99F2865.jpeg
    C677379B-7E67-4593-85C3-A62BE99F2865.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 593

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Just got back our car today from Motor City Solutions. This is the company that the consierge recommended to us. They have done several already for some Ford execs and others. They also wrap almost all of the Ford press cars. They use only Xpel Ultimate. I and others at the dealership have seen many GT's that have been wrapped and everyone has said this is the best they have seen of any. These guys really do a great job and would totally recommend them! We wrapped everything but the roof, doors, engine hood and rear bumper. Those areas really have a low chance of ever seeing any type of debris. Did all the lower carbon pieces along the side and part way around back. Did the headlights. Did the front splitter, rockers and underneath the door with thicker Xpel sheet (10m). Did the door sill entering into the car also that is exposed carbon. Depends on what interior you get if you have this. Need to get the windshield done still and thats about it. Took it out for the first time today!

PDiddy

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2017
Just got back our car today from Motor City Solutions. This is the company that the consierge recommended to us. They have done several already for some Ford execs and others. They also wrap almost all of the Ford press cars. They use only Xpel Ultimate. I and others at the dealership have seen many GT's that have been wrapped and everyone has said this is the best they have seen of any. These guys really do a great job and would totally recommend them! We wrapped everything but the roof, doors, engine hood and rear bumper. Those areas really have a low chance of ever seeing any type of debris. Did all the lower carbon pieces along the side and part way around back. Did the headlights. Did the front splitter, rockers and underneath the door with thicker Xpel sheet (10m). Did the door sill entering into the car also that is exposed carbon. Depends on what interior you get if you have this. Need to get the windshield done still and thats about it. Took it out for the first time today!

Thanks for all the responses!

Bummer as I wanted to drive the car 20 miles round trip to an event Thursday night but now will park at my Dealership until I get it wrapped.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I would drive it! I have put 550 miles on my car with NO WRAP ANYWHERE! As of yet.
I put blue painters tape on key areas (with help of DBK) and it is all fine.! Having a great time. Put 3 layers on bottom of doors, add some Gorilla tape on wheel side of duct opening (installed by concierge ) and go do your 600 mile break in driving! In my opinion, you guys worry too much.
Ajb (andy)

PDiddy

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2017
I would drive it! I have put 550 miles on my car with NO WRAP ANYWHERE! As of yet.
I put blue painters tape on key areas (with help of DBK) and it is all fine.! Having a great time. Put 3 layers on bottom of doors, add some Gorilla tape on wheel side of duct opening (installed by concierge ) and go do your 600 mile break in driving! In my opinion, you guys worry too much.
Ajb (andy)

After looking at CF under doors I parked car until next Wednesday when wrap guys can do car.

Delivery people were awesome!

Took car off of truck and then they saw all the road construction around my Dealership.

Then offered to put car back on truck and take to my home as it's 5 minutes from guys wrapping car.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My Dealership had construction all around it and they delivered my GT to my building 35 miles south of Houston. These deliveries are First Class! Good luck with your new Girl, lots of enjoyment ahead! Enjoy.

PDiddy

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2017
Picking up car today. place is 5 minutes from my house. Stopped by every day and am absolutely impressed with the wrap job!!!

Will get more pics this weekend.

Attachments

• is321%18TjaUxbp5QGxjQQ.jpg
    is321%18TjaUxbp5QGxjQQ.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 368

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I just got my GT350-R from the paint protection film installer. I have Xpel on my GT but had Suntek installed on the 'R' it is clearer than the Xpel...FWIW

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I just got my GT350-R from the paint protection film installer. I have Xpel on my GT but had Suntek installed on the 'R' it is clearer than the Xpel...FWIW

I have Suntek clear bra on both of my GT's. Very Satisfied.

Chip

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Had the wife's X! wrapped, asked the installer which would he recommend, he said that the Suntek was the better choice currently. Had it paint corrected, wrapped, and then ceramic treated. Looks awesome!!