Lawyers chime in, Porsche settles with Walker's daughter!! Absurd!!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
You have to be kidding me!! I can't stand this type of thing. So come on GT guys, sue Ford when your GT gets out from under you!! Why would Porsche not fight this will all their might??

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...wrongful-death-lawsuit-porsche-115830867.html

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed against Porsche in 2015, alleged that Walker would still be alive if the company had installed proper safety features in the car.

In court documents obtained by PEOPLE, Meadow’s lawyers asserted that despite Porsche “knowing that the Carrera GT had a history of instability and control issues,” the company “failed to install its electronic stability control system,” which they say is “specifically designed to protect against the swerving actions inherent in hyper-sensitive vehicles of this type.”

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Ouch, yeah that makes me sick too. Would be interested in one of our resident attorney's perspective on it.

I would think it was a financial decision...in other words it would have cost them way more $$ to fight it than to settle it and make it go away. That being said, by settling, did they establish a dangerous precedent here? Albeit outside of the courts.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
This is entirely the accountants decision. Nothing to do with wrong or right...everything to do with cost and the likelihood of successfully defending when up against a daughter who lost her father and the emotions of a jury who cannot wait to stick it to a corporation who has billions just sitting in their bank account.

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
The father sued as well and they settled with him too.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
It is tragic. But I can hardly imagine that porsche is really liable when they were speeding in in a commercial (non-track) environment on bricked tires. So, they may have settled for defense costs, and thereby avoided uncertainty in litigation and also the PR nightmare.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Looking for the recall on our GT's any day now for installation of outriggers like Mark uses when trying to roll test cars.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Looking for the recall on our GT's any day now for installation of outriggers like Mark uses when trying to roll test cars.

Sounds comical but with the ambulance chasers out there and with a story like this, I'm sure some person is drawing up a lawsuit. Tort reform needed for stuff like this.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Tort reform needed for stuff like this.

+1

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

I vote for contract claim reform so I can get my wrongful death cases to trial on a timely basis.

http://www.courtstatistics.org/Civil/CivilContract.aspx

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Not to hijack thread but got my first class action lawsuit notice on a subsidiary of Takata on the airbag recall

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal

+2

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida

me too!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Today, no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions, instead try to find fault else where! Especially if there is money available! In Germany , I don't believe this would happen, instead , if you drive recklessly and get killed, it's your own fault, logical no?
Why didn't they sue the driver for manslaughter! I quess no money there!!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Not to hijack thread but got my first class action lawsuit notice on a subsidiary of Takata on the airbag recall

You're gonna be rich. :lol

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
It's a math problem for Porsche.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Bingo

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

I believe she settled with the driver's estate for $10m.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
On this same note. I was watching a TV this morning and I think it was a VW commercial was showing how their "sensors" keep you from running over people who just walk out in front of you. I know every manufacturer has come up with their own version. So with that being said, any of you want to come run over me with your Mercedes or VW (minor injuries of course) and we can both sue the company for the failure of the car to stop automatically. Probably already been one where someone sued because they changed lanes and hit someone but the car was supposed to keep them from doing this.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I hate those auto-braking ads. They seem to trivialize poor driving.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Why didn't they sue the driver for manslaughter!

Usually those are for the living.