Porsche GT2RS GT3, etc

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Hey guys. I know many of you have driven or owned lots of cars out there. I know the new GT2RS broke the record for production vehicle at the Ring, but why do these cars have such a huge demand and prices are outrageous for any of them built in the last 20 years? Never driven anything but a 997.1 Turbo and it was super fast and smooth but really didn't "light my fire" like say the GT, Vipers, etc.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
The last of the air cooled twin turbo engines are in demand. This was my track car.

Garen Nicoghosian Exterior designer of the new Ford GT owns a 930 Porsche turbo. Jim Dunham owns many air cooled 911's. These are Ford guys!

Attachments

• 993 1.jpg
    993 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 993 5.jpg
    993 5.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Hey guys. I know many of you have driven or owned lots of cars out there. I know the new GT2RS broke the record for production vehicle at the Ring, but why do these cars have such a huge demand and prices are outrageous for any of them built in the last 20 years? Never driven anything but a 997.1 Turbo and it was super fast and smooth but really didn't "light my fire" like say the GT, Vipers, etc.

i own many porsches. I own and have owned many of the American muscle cars.

The porsches are just flat out the most well built cars in the world. You can track them with zero problem, they handle better, accelerate better etc. The new turbos balance performance comfort. The gt cars are somewhat comfortable and also really engage you.

I have a 911r. That car is the most engaging car I have ever driven other than my Carrera gt which tops them all.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have always enjoyed and loved Porsche’s
I have driven many new 991 gt3and RS variants
I’m personally not a fan of all wheel steering. Call me old school!
I am!
As a owner of a 997 GT2 I must say one of the appeals of the car is the rawness.
The 991 GT variants appeal to everyone as the make the driver much better than there actual skill level
Yes this is not a bad thing .Just not mine! The FGT and CGT rule for rawness
The cars are truly awesome. But give me raw driver induced car control any day!
The Ring time is yes a record setter. But you must understand a race track is a living organism that constantly changes with weather conditions ie track temperature etc. if you notice they did it first thing in the morning when track temps are considerably cooler and the sun just coming up in warming it just enough.
If they did that it say mid day in the heat of the day those times would be considerably higher . Timing is everything,and they timed perfectly.
Just my 02

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
The last of the air cooled twin turbo engines are in demand. This was my track car.

Garen Nicoghosian Exterior designer of the new Ford GT owns a 930 Porsche turbo. Jim Dunham owns many air cooled 911's. These are Ford guys!

Gorgeous ride sir!

I luv the rear wing on yours (and lic tag!).....I just don't understand why some call it a 'boy racer' add-on!? I wouldn't want a 911 without one! Nonetheless, very aggressive looking!

My first 'sporty car' was a Grey Market 930. Loved it. Many friends have 911 variants and keep acquiring more. They just don't want anything else.

I don't see how the market can sustain 'air-cooled' prices though (there's a reason why a town has the moniker -- New Porsche Beach), as everybody and their brother, and brother-in-law in my neck 'O' the woods has one. Heck, every guy's mistress here has been given a set of keys as their own.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Not only on the track, but also on the streets, these cars can handle constant high loads and are fun to drive (long aspirated Autobahn drives). And Porsche excels in making that accessible to people that are not race champions but compassionate everyday drivers.

I had the chance a while ago to test drive some 991s and boxters on a porsche track during heavy train. Since there was no risk in going sideways I took it a bit too far with a rear driven turbo 911. I somehow underestimated rain condition in one turn and the rear started to turn. I just had to lift throttle a bit and the car was back in line again. Totally easy and you can bet that it wasn’t my driving skills but the electronic nannies instead. Wouldn’t want to experience that in the GT.

But you can‘t compare the 991 with older generations, there is so much improvement. But if the 997 isn‘t raw enough for you I bet the 991 isn’t better suited for you (or at least you need to deactivate all nannies)

I agree that these cars are a bit pricey, but that’s the successful development of the porsche brand.

Last edited:

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
GT2RS, GT3RS for track duties are marvelous tools, no question about that. But, a big but, there's a new Sheriff in town...the new ZR1.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
But, a big but, there's a new Sheriff in town...the new ZR1.

Doubt that, but we will see.