good week for mods

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks to wmjim who provided all the engineering and most of the labor [we] installed the short throw shifter before going to Road Atlanta. I was undecided but after parking 4 with the short throw shifter at R12 I decided to use the one I bought over a year ago. Was concerned about losing the smooth feel of stock but this has the same action but a noticeably shorter throw. :thumbsup

Finally installed the rear vents I got from John a couple years ago. Was planning on having them painted but tried them on for fit and now not sure. I kind of like the contrasting look??

Had the Clearplex installed today and really satisfied with the result. Not seeing any bubbles or distortion as some have reported and still not completely cured. Thanks to Trent for this.

Attachments

• IMG_6205c.jpg
    IMG_6205c.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_6204.jpg
    IMG_6204.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_6206.jpg
    IMG_6206.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 386

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Beautiful job! I should also consider the short throw shifter. Now you got me thinking... :)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well done!

Short shift is an easy choice.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Short shift is an easy choice.

As is the Boot/bezel upgrade.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Nice mods! What's next?

Ed

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Use Rejex on your windscreen film.it will prevent scratches and works like rainx as well
The vents I think look good! Different is a ok!
The short throw shifter is great and has no effect on smooth operation! Only the driver can effect smoothness!
Enjoy!����

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I installed the billet vents from John several years ago. (All four (4).
Same midnight blue/white vehicle.
I prefer the bare aluminum shiny look especially when you can see the machining tool marks.
I did however, put 3 coats of auto motive clear coat on them to prevent aluminum oxidation.
Andy (ajb)

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Looks good Gary! I like the billet look of the vents. I also have an uninstalled set; you've got me thinking! Eliot

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
John's vents look good on any car and any color. I've been debating about Technocraft's carbon fiber side scoops. I just bought their 3 pc carbon rear window garnish trim. just not sure to pull the trigger on the side scoops or not. would love their front carbon splitter and rear carbon diffuser but just worried about damaging them and the cost to replace vs. the OEM units which are expensive enough. any thoughts on the carbon side scoops??

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Short throw should have been original.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Short throw should have been original.
I have to believe that when Ford approached B&M about the GT shifter, B&M already had a short throw after market unit in the works after production was done on the GTs. jmo

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have to believe that when Ford approached B&M about the GT shifter, B&M already had a short throw after market unit in the works after production was done on the GTs. jmo

The ergonomics of the SS is just so much better.

I just consider that Ford always leaves a few bones for the (then) Ford Racing Parts division. They do the same thing with Mustangs - SS shifter and a bunch of much better suspension parts. It's a lucrative business.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I have them mounted and generally like them. What I do not like is the logo attached by rivets.

Are you satisfied with the finishing quality of the clear coat of the rear window garnish ?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I have them mounted and generally like them. What I do not like is the logo attached by rivets.

Are you satisfied with the finishing quality of the clear coat of the rear window garnish ?

the finish on the 3pc rear window garnish is outstanding! High gloss and nice quality. I'm guessing the side scoops would be the same way. I think the carbon side scoops would be stellar on my black car or on a quick silver, tungsten or dark blue. just not sure about how they would look on a red car.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

What piece has the logo attached by rivets?

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Where can I get a Short Shift kit ?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Oh my god, what did I write. I mixed side cooling intakes with the side diffusors. Side diffusors have logos, cooling intakes do not.

Sorry for confusion.

Matthias

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Oh my god, what did I write. I mixed side cooling intakes with the side diffusors. Side diffusors have logos, cooling intakes do not.

Sorry for confusion.

Matthias

:cheers

still surprised they are riveted on. :confused

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I wasn‘t happy about it too, I love to be able to decide on my own to make brand advertisement. Even worse for me, in Germany many mods need to be approved by the TÜV. Since abroad built parts usually don‘t have the necessary paperwork this can be hard or even impossible to get done. If you don‘t comply and police find out you get a fine and the order to get it approved or remove the parts in question (otherwise car is getting deregistered). Usually with a car as rare as the GT this is a grey area because nobody knows what is original or people are simply happy to see an unusual car. But the logo hints without a doubt that something has been changed..

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Finally installed the rear vents I got from John a couple years ago. Was planning on having them painted but tried them on for fit and now not sure. I kind of like the contrasting look??

GKW,

During the early days of this forum I was involved in selling and powercoating a bunch of these billet vents. My top vents are powdercoated Gloss Black and my side vents are powdercoated Flat Black. They are visually indistinguishable from the stock items with the exception that they do not warp. Long-term you really don't have the option of leaving them bare aluminum because they will corrode. You must either paint them with a few coats of clear as Andy mentioned or powder coat or paint them to match the car. I know they look great now as shiny bare aluminum but they won't look as good in a couple years if you leave them bare.

I've had the short throw shifter for over 10 years and it's one of my favorite mods.

Chip