Kennedy Space Center

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm out after seeing the price and who is sponsoring the event.

Will there be G-Force security?

Gun 1.jpg

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Will there be G-Force security?

That photo is terrifyingly creepy

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Sorry if I have unwittingly exposed you to the gun squad. I jus' wanna drive fast :)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That photo is terrifyingly creepy

I wouldn't worry. He's clearly qualified to handle those weapons. He has a green wristband.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Sorry if I have unwittingly exposed you to the gun squad. I jus' wanna drive fast :)

Certainly seems cool to drive on the space shuttle runway and up to 2 miles. The half mile runs are too short. But I'm probably fine with a 1 mile run for a much lower price point.

Not too worried about the goon squad but the stories make me say "Hmmm"

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Hey guys, the event is on for Nov. 4, and I'll be pulling my TT out there in the Toterhome. I'll give you a report on the surface. Curious to see what the TT will do at that altitude...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

As much as everyone wants to hate on johnny and Johnny is a little off his rocker. LOL If M2k doesn't go 300 this weekend it will happen in Florida in about a month.. There will be lots of data for everyone to see as well this time. Its kinda sad that everyone discredited the 283. In all reality discrediting Guiness book of world records too. As it it wasn't POSSIBLE to do as all the experts said. But once m2k did it, all is well. Fact is anyone that goes 292 mph in a GT is a brave sole and it is just pure freaking cool.

Excited to see M2k run this weekend and johnny in the next month here. He will be on national Television on one of the highest watched reality shows on tv right now. If that is not cool and doesn't deserve respect for the community i don't know what does. Cause no one else is getting the GT exposure like this other than GT Joey with his tv show deal.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
As much as everyone wants to hate on johnny and Johnny is a little off his rocker. LOL If M2k doesn't go 300 this weekend it will happen in Florida in about a month.. There will be lots of data for everyone to see as well this time. Its kinda sad that everyone discredited the 283. In all reality discrediting Guiness book of world records too. As it it wasn't POSSIBLE to do as all the experts said. But once m2k did it, all is well. Fact is anyone that goes 292 mph in a GT is a brave sole and it is just pure freaking cool.

Excited to see M2k run this weekend and johnny in the next month here. He will be on national Television on one of the highest watched reality shows on tv right now. If that is not cool and doesn't deserve respect for the community i don't know what does. Cause no one else is getting the GT exposure like this other than GT Joey with his tv show deal.

I’m with you. He promotes our car. Plus he has always had time to talk to me about my turbo car when I have called or texted with questions. 292 freaking ridiculous. What amazing design that the aero is so good our car can go that fast with motor upgrades!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Had an awesome road trip with the Missus in the Toter and made it to Sarasota today. There is something deeply therapeutic about a cross country drive... I took the car to Jason Heffner this afternoon to him waive some magic dust on it. Actually, mostly just to let him give it a thorough once-over after doing probably 15 200+ mph passes since he put the titanium system on it. Did I mention that I had the highest top speed at the Sun Valley Road Rally? Don't ask me how fast, all I'm sayin' is that the Ford GT was the only car there that busted 200. Those poor, wretched V-12 Lambos got a fanny whoopin'.

Dang, I like Jason. Great guy to work with and a super valuable part of the GT community. Saw some cool iron while I was there...

Now that we drove all the way out here, gotta' fly home and make some filthy lucre next week. Then back at the end of week to Titusville. Can't wait to let the horses run at KSC. Why is it so dang intoxicating to go wide honking' open in these cars?

I shall give you a full and quite boring report once I've had the chance to experience the venue.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Report from Kennedy Space Center

1. The surface is as smooth as a pool table and flatter than Kansas, with virtually unlimited traction. It was perfectly clean. I can't think of another place like it in the world. I felt TOTALLY comfortable at all the speeds I drove. Heck, on the return runs, I was driving at 160 and didn't even realize it. It was like being in heaven.

2. The whole venue is spectacular. It is the former Space Shuttle Landing facility, so it is deep into NASA property. You pass some really incredible Space Coast history to just out to the runway. While you do need to get a security badge to get in, it makes for great souvenir.

3. Another thing that is super cool about the event is that it is 2.3 miles long, with another full mile to brake. That feels like FOREVER at wide open throttle. For reference, there were two stock Hellcat Chargers there, and they both hit 201. It took them some trying, but they both did it.

4. The event was organized by Johnny Bohmer. I can't say enough about what a nice person he is and a wonderful host. Very patient, well-organized, and hilarious. He definitely has a screw loose when it comes to driving fast, but that just makes him a kindred spirit. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I would not hesitate to recommend him and this event to anyone who owns a GT. Johnny's event was very well organized, super safe, and the atmosphere was friendly, fun, and professional. I plan to do it again, and probably won't ever go anyplace else. It really is that good.

5. All proper acknowledgement to Jason Heffner. He built my car, and looked it over for me before this event. He didn't need to do a thing to it after I gave it a proper beating at Mojave. I think having the TT put on my car is the best thing I ever did. I can't get enough of driving that dang thing. Don't think I've ever been as happy with a car. Period. Quick anecdote: some of Johhny's guys were looking my car over during tech, and the prevailing comment was something like:
"We have all sorts of guys come out here saying what their cars will do, and the time slips usually show that they are full of @##*. However, when one of Jason's cars shows up, they are the real deal."

6. The Big Number: For the longest time, my holy grail was to hit 230 in a GT. This is what led me to Mr. Heffner in the first place. I drove all the way across the country to try this venue, thinking it would provide an awesome opportunity for me to find my magic number. Plus, I've never done a speed event at sea level...

In my preparations for the event, I calculated that the GT redlines out at fifth gear in the 230s. (I am running stock wheels and Bridgestones with a 7200 redline). After an obligatory mile training run first thing this morning, I went out for a 2.3 miles shakedown run. I was quite ginger in first and second gear. I let the ponies run in third and fourth, then went into fifth for the long pull. My boost was set at a very modest 18 pounds. The car pulled like a freight train all the way to redline, but I still had a ton of space left, so when it hit the rev limiter, I lost a bit of momentum. I kept my foot in it, and it bounced off the rev limiter again. I was just spooling back up when I went through the speed traps and the number was...230.385. I was so happy that I put the GT in the trailer and enjoyed the rest of the event sipping a soda and watching the Hellcats. I probably could have gone back out and tried to soft peddle it so that I hit the rev limiter the instant AFTER I cleared the traps, but I didn't feel like I needed to. I came, I saw, I conquered.

On a serious note, I can't recommend this event more highly. Both Susie and I walked away with huge grins on our faces and the feeling that we had been among friends.

And on a final note, there aint no car in the whole world like a Ford GT. Having it out there on the Space Coast, with all that 60's space-race history, was really special. It got me thinking about the GT's heritage of American hot rod know-how and grit. Ford was winning Le Mans at about the same time those incredible astronauts were strapping their bottoms on the top of ballistic missiles trying to get into Orbit. I don't know which took the most courage, going 200+ down the Mulsanne straight in the dark or sitting on top of a bomb. Either way, I felt a little of that in my magnificent, "old" Ford GT today. Ahh....

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Congratulations! :banana:cheers This is so cool and I know you have been working towards this for a long time. Monica and I are so very happy for you. Dinner on us next time we see you. :thumbsup

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Congratulations! :banana:cheers This is so cool and I know you have been working towards this for a long time. Monica and I are so very happy for you. Dinner on us next time we see you. :thumbsup

Apollo,

Thank you so much! The pleasure will certainly be ours!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Congratulations!! Awesome!! We need photos of your completed car with all that engine candy. If you ever posted I didnt see it! Great write up as usual. I guess since you have owned about every super car.. this is your favorite??

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Congratulations!! Awesome!! We need photos of your completed car with all that engine candy. If you ever posted I didnt see it! Great write up as usual. I guess since you have owned about every super car.. this is your favorite??

Nautoncall,

Yes, most certainly my favorite of all time. As I've said on a few previous occasions, I'm kind of tired of the whole sports car du jour thing. I love the GT because it is the perfect platform upon which to build a very personalized hot rod. Can't think of another car in which I would want to drive 230 mph.

I have been working on a very thorough write up of the car, but just havn't had the time to get it done. I will include lots of photos.

I will very likely go back to KSC in December and run again. My car and coach are still out in Florida so I might as well take advantage of it.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
You know the Dec dates?

Nautoncall,

Yes, most certainly my favorite of all time. As I've said on a few previous occasions, I'm kind of tired of the whole sports car du jour thing. I love the GT because it is the perfect platform upon which to build a very personalized hot rod. Can't think of another car in which I would want to drive 230 mph.

I have been working on a very thorough write up of the car, but just havn't had the time to get it done. I will include lots of photos.

I will very likely go back to KSC in December and run again. My car and coach are still out in Florida so I might as well take advantage of it.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for sharing that nice report. Congratulations on hitting your number.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Awesome and congrats!!

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
JAXGT,

December 15 and 16. I understand that it will be a larger group this time, around 15-20 cars. I am pretty sure that we will be there. It would be awesome if Susie and I could see you again!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My boost was set at a very modest 18 pounds.

18psi? (Yawn!) LOL! Your GT could do back to back to back runs all day and all night!

This is the magic of twin turbos. You are barely 4 psi over stock and only a couple psi over "common" pulley/tune upgrades. Of course the BIG difference is that the engine is no longer expending energy to spin the SC and all of that energy is added to the RWHP.

*IF* you were so inclined, you could tune with some nasty C16 and crank that psi up to 23-24psi and gain another couple hundred HP. In our experience, that's about the limit of the FGT stock fuel system - approximately 1000 RWHP with TT's. Conversely, with the stock fuel system, you can squeeze 820-850 RWHP with a SC set-up.... losing a 100 or more HP to turning that big pump.