What is the weirdest thing you found in your engine bay/belly pan?

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
This was one of the most bizarre GT moments I have had to date!

I drove to M2K which is about 40 minutes from my house to get the oil and filter change. After the oil change, when they were zipping her up one of the guys looks down in the engine bay and call out to me " Whoa, did you loose something? Are these yours?". He reaches in and pulls out a pair of dusty and soiled reading glasses that were laying on the engine mount on the right side. Needless to say they were not mine and have been there for quite some time since they were so filthy. I assume they had fallen out of someones pocket when they were peering at one of the many fuel stops, hotel stays, shows, etc over the last few months.

I know that many have found tools and loose parts in their pans or engine bay, but has anyone found something similarly as unexpected as this?

Simon

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Cat's collar complete with bell

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Funny you should start this thread now. I was just changing my oil today, and though my finding isn't bizarre, it was unexpected. Anybody recognize what this nut might be from?

a2f2e069132e9ec213624baee76c4cbb.jpg

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Also, a little "Easter egg" I found the other day when I was tightening my air filters (custom setup):

08226ffb07cfc1e47289324abb62a7f0.jpg

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
At first oil change a mechanic left his flashlight in the engine bay down near the right side exhaust header.:confused
Needless to say I never went back to him for anything other than to give him his flashlight back.:frown
Shortly after purchasing the GT, I found razor blades up under the right front fender near the firewall while chasing down a rattle.:eek

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Cat's collar complete with bell
No cat? Sounds like another cat delete mod.:wink

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Funny you should start this thread now. I was just changing my oil today, and though my finding isn't bizarre, it was unexpected. Anybody recognize what this nut might be from?

a2f2e069132e9ec213624baee76c4cbb.jpg

Could that be one of the nuts that affixes to one of the two louvres over the engine bay?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Could that be one of the nuts that affixes to one of the two louvres over the engine bay?

You are absolutely correct! Thank you!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
No problem. The Easter Bunny must have loosened it up when he left that little egg.:biggrin

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Back in the late 60's my dad and I were working on the family Oldsmobile (we were 2nd owners). Had the hood up and notice something causing the underhood insulation to bulge. Peeled the insulation away and found an aluminium foil pouch with two very prettified T-bone steaks. Either someone was cooking them as they drove or trying to keep them warm till they could stop and eat them.

Yes people do strange things on purpose with their cars!! :eek

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
No problem. The Easter Bunny must have loosened it up when he left that little egg.:biggrin

:biggrin

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Not really weird but I found this last oil change. Hope it's not important. :biggrin

IMG_8290.jpg

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Rich handed me a box when I picked up my car from an oil change and Whipple upgrade and said these are yours. assortment of screws, bolts and sockets. the best part is when he called me and said keep an eye out for a small flash light he mis-placed. too funny! as it turned out he found it at his place. just sayin-everyone does it. I try to cover areas with a blanket that I'm not in to at the moment so dropsies don't happen!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah mine has a socket flying around but it never lands where I can get it with the grabber.

The belly pan collects all if this stuff. My cobra dropped nuts and bolts on the garage floor but there never seemed to be any missing. I assumed the old bolts were breeding and these were their children.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Yeah mine has a socket flying around but it never lands where I can get it with the grabber.

The belly pan collects all if this stuff. My cobra dropped nuts and bolts on the garage floor but there never seemed to be any missing. I assumed the old bolts were breeding and these were their children.

Tony- I have the head of a rivot from one of the floor pans being taken off broken off inside the frame rail. it doesn't always do it but it seems to wait until I have someone else riding in the car with me and then moves from front to back on take offs and braking. totally embarrassing!
Rich said the only way to stop it is to foam the frame rail with the fire retardant foam and then put a plastic plug in it until it dries. I guess that's a winter project!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.

Attachments

• 1457109968250-c2.jpg
    1457109968250-c2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 135

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Shortly after purchasing the GT, I found razor blades up under the right front fender near the firewall while chasing down a rattle.:eek

What's the story behind that one...Crazy.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Being the car was new and had never been serviced; the only thing I could think of is that someone during the assembly process was using razor blades to clean something, like possibility windows, possibility supplier tags/stickers/barcodes. Don’t know, but yes that was both strange and surprising.

FYI – the razor blades were not the source of the rattle, it was a loose belly pan bolt that had either backed out or was not installed correctly, had about 1/4 inch of threads showing. Once tightened up rattle was gone.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

Mice with a coke habit.