Reverse Lamp Replacement

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The manual says 921 bulb. Non-LED?

Just unscrew the gray box and it's in there? Or do I have to figure out connectors that I am likely to break?
cb4da4b3929787d2f45ed03450d12774.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My *assumption* has been that the manual is incorrect and that the reverse lamp is not replaceable but is part of the entire assembly. I hope that I am wrong on this and curious what you found.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Now that prices are reaching noticeable ranges, did someone try if these units can be opened to replace any of the LEDs ?

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Oh it's definitely a replaceable bulb - we swap the clear bulb out for an amber one on European cars (and then rewire and use as a turn indicator).
Removal is "simply' a case of taking the grey unit off the back of the lamp. That's actually the tricky bit. When we did the 101 European cars we trimmed the bumper panel to allow us to get the grey piece off - otherwise you have to take the lamp assembly out of the bumper and than means undoing the self cutting nuts off the plastic pegs which I hate doing - they never go back on the same. So best approach we found was to relieve the bumper panel to allow the grey piece to clear - it's quite soft and easy to cut.

You can see where we cut it in this picture (which also shows a prototype of the vacuum system we ran for the valve actuated exhaust)

IMGP1520.jpg

Once you've got that off the back just pull out the bulb and swap it out.

Reactions: 2112

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ah! Thanks for that David. Earlier, I took the two T15 screws out and still the gray box would not budge. I can't see any other screws. (?)

I most definitely do not want to take the entire assembly out. The manual says three times, in bold, that you throw the assembly away if you undo the nuts. :ack Who's idea was that?

The next step seems to be a fresh blade in the razor knife.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The manual says three times, in bold, that you throw the assembly away if you undo the nuts.

Yeah, and replacement is *only* $1000 if you mess up. We've been reluctant to try that on a customer's car.... one back up light is still sufficient!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Access to the tail light assembly is a bit tight. It would be a lot easier with the assembly on the bench.

Assuming the assembly mounting studs don't break when the nuts are undone, I'm wondering if a solution for re-installation might be to dip the studs in epoxy and then let the nuts cut new threads on the studs.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I refuse to believe there isn't a permanent solution to the R&R of the tail lights. What about a hollow threaded rod over the existing studs?

IMG_9471.JPG

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I thought Shelby had a way around this. He has darkened many tail lamps.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
GT101 solution is by far the easiest way to get it done. I replaced both of my reverse lamps (with LEDs) using that method and it was easy-peasy.

side note: I also replaced the the license place lamps, side marker lamps and fog lamps with LEDs. As a side note, I tested the LED replacements for the xeon bulbs but they were not bright enough so I just went with a slightly 'whiter' xeon.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You guys must be leaving something out of this procedure.

With the two torx screws removed from the sides of the gray box, it will not budge. Meaning...there must be another screw at the top of the box that is neither visible nor accessible from the area in the photos.

I will replace this bulb the next time the rear clip has to come off, which with any luck will be never.

How many guys does it take to change a lightbulb... :/

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You are right, there is a third screw, I forget if it is at the top or bottom but I don't remember it being super difficult. Let me dig up some pictures.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Subscribe

Tomcat

GT Owner
You are right, there is a third screw, I forget if it is at the top or bottom but I don't remember it being super difficult. Let me dig up some pictures.

My friend's GT has a backup light bulb out...any pictures of the torx, etc...?
Thanks,
Tom

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Forget it. Can't be done without disassembling the car.

You can see two of the three torx screws in the pics already posted. The third (at the top and hidden) is not accessible.

Last edited:

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
The last time I had my lights off I cut the plastic studs off the back and replaced them with screw in metal studs so now taking them on and off isn't a problem.

Tomcat

GT Owner
My friend's GT has a backup light bulb out...any pictures of the torx, etc...?
Thanks,
Tom
The local Ford dealership (Greensboro, NC) did this on my Friend's car for about $50 in less than an hour.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My GT tech replaced mine. He said the torx bolt that I called inaccessible is accessible with a wrench on a torx bit and a lot of patience. Also, the transaxle was out for clutch replacement, so he was able get at it from underneath where he could see what he was doing.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
My reverse lamp went out on passenger side. I followed GT101’s advice above and was able to detach the grey module off the back of the taillight assembly. Trimmed some plastic with a dremel as in pic above. My question is….how do I pull the bulb itself? Is there only one bulb in the center of the assembly? I see wires going 3 directions off the module. Makes me think there are 3 bulbs. I have a call in to Rich Brooks. Any advice appreciated.

Edit: Got advice from Dr. FRANK. Bulb pulls out of center. Easy peasy.

Last edited: