Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Its most excellent! A must have!

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
My 06 is easy with the factory releases. I am standing at the drivers opening, I pull the latch, I lift up the clamshell, stick my finger in and release the latch, I then pull up the clamshell until it hits the passenger release, walk over to the passenger side, stick my finger in and push the second release, and open it up. There is no stretching, I am 5'10". Try doing that in the procedure I described and it works.
Two factors that might make that not work, one would be weak supports that hold up the clamshell, my car had new supports installed, by Rich during a PPI he did for me, so my clamshell pops up on its own. The other factor is trying to open it up on the passenger side first, you must start at the drivers side.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm able to reach both sides from the driver side door. It does help to have struts with enough oomph to hold it up without assist.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Even with new struts my clamshell struggles to stay popped up enough to walk to other side.

The GT guy lever is the best solution IMO.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
mine is the same way 2112 and although I think the lever thingy is cool, i never could understand what the big deal is with the driver door open you can easily reach both latches...

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Hmmm, I don't understand either, the releases are different lengths for that reason. Simple.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Are you seeking enlightenment? Or, are you telling us that we are wrong to think the bar is a cool accessory?

Last edited:

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
You can like what you like, I am just saying that I do not seem to have any problems with how I open my clamshell, that's it.

The bar may be a cool accessory and I may get one someday if I get tired of the walk. I am happy to walk around it and admire it, It gives me a smile every time, after a drive to open up the clamshell and let it cool. I guess I am still in the mode as being very lucky to own one.

I was, as they say, "Just sayin."

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Installed mine today. 15 minutes and works perfect.
Thank you GT Guy

Reactions: JWZ

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I think one latch is a bit longer than the other. I'm able to unlatch one side and then then the other from the other side. Been doing this for going on 15 years.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
LOVE MINE!!!!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you are of a certain height ,its no problem to reach over to the other latch.But if your not the GTG clam shell latch is pretty trick!