Sound while shifting at high RPM

DXB.GT

GT Owner
Aug 17, 2017
Hi guys,

To day I had my first pull on my 2006 GT and I had reached 200MPH [emoji846]. The thing is while I'm shifting through gears at high RPM there is a sound underneath the shifter "and It happens only at high RPM". But while I'm driving normally, the shifts are smooth like butter and there is no sounds at all.

does it relate to the shifter linkage?

Any clue?

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Just got her and already stretched her to 200mph?? Did you mean kph?? On the highway?? (I hope not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Its normal; search "rattle snake" noise and high speed vibration of shifting cables against tunnel

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Yeah, happens to me too at 200 mph (LOL).

Howard

DXB.GT

GT Owner
Aug 17, 2017
Just got her and already stretched her to 200mph?? Did you mean kph?? On the highway?? (I hope not)

It's 200MPH+, I was not able to focus on both the street and speedometer [emoji28]. I cruise on 200kph [emoji846] and yes on highway

Its normal; search "rattle snake" noise and high speed vibration of shifting cables against tunnel

thank you for explanation.

Just to let you know, it's not an continuous vibration, ( just a sound comes when I press the clutch at high RPMs) then it goes away

Yeah, happens to me too at 200 mph (LOL).

Howard

LoL

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013

I'm with the other Doc on this one.
Not very responsible behavior on public streets.
Not trying to be altruistic in any way, but, never mind ruining your life, how about the minivan that pulls out in front of you.
Please be safe and "mature" with your great new purchase.
Enjoy.
Best,
Mark

DXB.GT

GT Owner
Aug 17, 2017
I'm with the other Doc on this one.
Not very responsible behavior on public streets.
Not trying to be altruistic in any way, but, never mind ruining your life, how about the minivan that pulls out in front of you.
Please be safe and "mature" with your great new purchase.
Enjoy.
Best,
Mark

Thanks Mark for your advice really appreciate.
The thing is When I did the pull when the highway was empty of cars and it was a six lines highway. So, I was 80% safe and it was just a test. But still this doesn't mean it's fine to do it.

Thanks again [emoji1417]

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I know you are in Dubai so y'all may have some really deserted roads. Just be safe!! Dangerous yes, big kahoonas ABSOLUTELY. Any idea how many GTs in Dubai?? Probably Ferrari's and Lamborghini's on every street corner!!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
pretty much already explained by others but what happens (in my opinion) is that the shifter cables actually run under the intake manifold and lay on the block before coming thru the bulk head. they then lay on the aluminum tunnel so any harmonic vibrations caused by the engine may be getting transferred into the cables and then somewhat amplified laying on the tunnel. the routing from the factory is not the best scenario for heat and vibrations but seems to have been the easiest from a production point. I just wish they would have had some kind of sleeve for the clutch cables where they pass thru under the intake manifold and supercharger. jmho

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
If the cars new to you, check the date code on your tires; if older than 5yrs, change ASAP.

Blow out of tires at that speed is to be avoided.

Get all your fluids changed as well; especially transaxle if your doing hard pulls.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^^this

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
"...So, I was 80% safe ..."

Hey Ma, I'm almost pregnant :facepalm:

DXB.GT

GT Owner
Aug 17, 2017
I know you are in Dubai so y'all may have some really deserted roads. Just be safe!! Dangerous yes, big kahoonas ABSOLUTELY. Any idea how many GTs in Dubai?? Probably Ferrari's and Lamborghini's on every street corner!!

Trust me, the roads are nice, clean and there are partitions on both side. The only problem is the speed cameras.

In the past 12 years from 2005, I saw only around 7 FGT in Dubai, one of them is mine and very rare and most of them are stored. When I asked Ford distributor how many GTs out there? They said from 10 to 15 cars only!!, I felt so special [emoji16]

pretty much already explained by others but what happens (in my opinion) is that the shifter cables actually run under the intake manifold and lay on the block before coming thru the bulk head. they then lay on the aluminum tunnel so any harmonic vibrations caused by the engine may be getting transferred into the cables and then somewhat amplified laying on the tunnel. the routing from the factory is not the best scenario for heat and vibrations but seems to have been the easiest from a production point. I just wish they would have had some kind of sleeve for the clutch cables where they pass thru under the intake manifold and supercharger. jmho

Fare explanations, could be a reason for the problem I had. But what do you suggest, shall I do farther inspection or it's normal so I keep it as it's?

If the cars new to you, check the date code on your tires; if older than 5yrs, change ASAP.

Blow out of tires at that speed is to be avoided.

Get all your fluids changed as well; especially transaxle if your doing hard pulls.

I handled all of that in the first week[emoji41]
The things I have changed ......
-New tires ( Michlen 325/30 R19 cup 2 back, 265/35 R18 4S front)
(engine oil, transaxle oil, engine coolant, Supercharger coolant, spark plugs, air filter, driver side air bag module, fuel filter, oil filter)

Hey Ma, I'm almost pregnant :facepalm:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks guys for your support [emoji4]

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I handled all of that in the first week[emoji41]
The things I have changed ......
-New tires ( Michlen 325/30 R19 cup 2 back, 265/35 R18 4S front)
(engine oil, transaxle oil, engine coolant, Supercharger coolant, spark plugs, air filter, driver side air bag module, fuel filter, oil filter)

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks guys for your support [emoji4]

Don't think this is your first rodeo!! I'm sure there are a few GTs there just collecting dust. So sad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Dont forget:

-Clutch Fluid
-Brake Fluid
-Supercharger oil

-Oil Pump belt (10yrs OR unknown age?)

DXB.GT

GT Owner
Aug 17, 2017
nautoncall, when I said 10 to 15 GTs in Dubai I mean ....the driven ones (4 maybe or less)+ 3 cars for sale + the stored GTs ( around 6 or 7)... the city is small and I know people from every part and I can tell it's 75% accurate [emoji1417].

Dont forget:

-Clutch Fluid
-Brake Fluid
-Supercharger oil

-Oil Pump belt (10yrs OR unknown age?)

I changed the clutch and break fluid (dot 3) didn't mention that
Ordered all belts ( waiting for them)
Just have a problem with supercharger oil don't know how to drain it [emoji28]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

DXB.GT

GT Owner
Aug 17, 2017

I will check it, I will add some if it needs.
Thanks Kayvan

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Brake fluid. DOT 3
Clutch fluid DOT 4 ??

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Brake fluid. DOT 3
Clutch fluid DOT 4 ??
No, use DOT 4 for both. Use the same fluid so you don't have to keep two different cans on the shelf. DOT 4 has higher boiling points than DOT 3, so it's better. As stated previously in this forum, this is an easy job, just be sure not to drip any brake fluid on painted surfaces, as it WILL remove the paint. If you do drip some, wash it off with soapy water then rinse with plenty of fresh water.

Last edited: