Visited Multimatic today to see VIN 00098 - Liquid Blue / White stripes

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I drove from Detroit to Multimatic and back to Detroit today. Spent about 2 hours in the plant reviewing many cars-in-process and my car which is Serial Number 00098... Liquid Blue/Frozen White Stripes/ Red Calipers /Dark Energy interior/ Silver sparkle wheels .!

Some Comments :

1. I love Assembly Plants !! In my 35 year career with Ford Motor Co. I have launched many of them at Job #1 from Pintos to Taurus to T-Bird to Minivans .. well you just name it...I helped launch it.... Mostly North America products.

My recommendation .... make sure, if given the opportunity to see this plant -- YOU DO IT> even for just 2 hours. It is not a big plant like Chicago or Wixom or Atlanta where we were working to build 250,000 cars /trucks per year ,. But you can learn a lot from watching.

2. The ramp-up of the New 2017 Ford GT is clearly taking place... I saw at least thirty (30 ) vehicles in process, 5 or 6 fully completed in for final testing (water, fit and finish etc) and good process controls being used by the workers.

3. I saw at least two (2) vehicles with Titanium exhausts already installed... so these components are becoming available.

4. Met with plant Manager Jeff , Paint Mgr Alan and of course the 'scientist' Larry.
Pearce The Tech Director gave me a good tour. Remember -- NO pictures.

5. I saw VIN's up to 00114 if I recall correctly

6. As many of you are aware , they wanted me to visit my car last Monday or Tuesday but we were in UTAH at rally 12.
But , even if your car is completed, as mine was, you can still see all the other "in process' vehicles on the assembly lines without body-skin installed.
The closest analogy I can make is ''under the skin'' these cars look like the Air-and-Space Museum cut away models of the Saturn Rocket engines and Space Shuttles with their pressure tubes, cooling lines and heat exchangers !! The aluminum welding is impeccable and the components look like jewelry..
So go visit when your car is in process or completed... worth the time..

7 . I did see VIN 00088 in the light tube booth (Gulf Blue) for final inspection.

8 . And VIN 00034 - Yellow/black fully completed with a note on the IP that said "Final Inspection " :):) I think this car goes to Arizona.

All for now.... Like a 'kid in a candy store''.... or in my case, a ''grown up in an Assembly plant.''

andy (ajb)

Last edited by a moderator:

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
I drove from Detroit to Multimatic and back to Detroit today. Spent about 2 hours in the plant reviewing many cars-in-process and my car which is Serial Number 00098... Liquid Blue/Frozen White Stripes/ Red Calipers /Dark Energy interior/ Silver sparkle wheels .!

Some Comments :

1. I love Assembly Plants !! In my 35 year career with Ford Motor Co. I have launched many of them at Job #1 from Pintos to Taurus to T-Bird to Minivans .. well you just name it...I helped launch it.... Mostly North America products.

My recommendation .... make sure, if given the opportunity to see this plant -- YOU DO IT> even for just 2 hours. It is not a big plant like Chicago or Wixom or Atlanta where we were working to build 250,000 cars /trucks per year ,. But you can learn a lot from watching.

2. The ramp-up of the New 2017 Ford GT is clearly taking place... I saw at least thirty (30 ) vehicles in process, 5 or 6 fully completed in for final testing (water, fit and finish etc) and good process controls being used by the workers.

3. I saw at least two (2) vehicles with Titanium exhausts already installed... so these components are becoming available.

4. Met with plant Manager Jeff , Paint Mgr Alan and of course the 'scientist' Larry.

6. As many of you are aware , they wanted me to visit my car last Monday or Tuesday but we were in UTAH at rally 12.
But , even if your car is completed, as mine was, you can still see all the other "in process' vehicles on the assembly lines without body-skin installed.
The closest analogy I can make is ''under the skin'' these cars look like the Air-and-Space Museum cut away models of the Saturn Rocket engines and Space Shuttles with their pressure tubes, cooling lines and heat exchangers !! The aluminum welding is impeccable and the components look like jewelry..

7 . I did see VIN 00088 in the light tube booth (Gulf Blue) for final inspection.

8 . And VIN 00034 - Yellow/black fully completed with a note on the IP that said "Final Inspection " :):) I think this car goes to Arizona.

All for now.... like a 'kid in a candy store''.... or in my case, a ''grown up in an Assembly plant.''

andy (ajb)

Thanks Andy for the update. I cannot wait for that experience, as others feel I am sure. Enjoy it and drive it!

Last edited by a moderator:

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Glad to hear your car is near delivery, and you got to see under the skin -- these cars are fantastic pieces of technology with amazing craftsmanship both inside and out. Plus when you see the car with no body panels you realize how tight the package is -- no space goes to waste and everything is carbon or Aluminium :thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The time is near! Looking forward to seeing it complete!

Also cool Larry was there. Figured he would be on his way to Mexico City already.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
A once and a life time experience! We are some of the luckiest car guys and gals in the world! Enjoy every moment! I know I will when its my turn!

Congrats Andy!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
8 . and VIN 00034 - Yellow/black fully completed with a note on the IP that said "Final Inspection " :):) I think this car goes to Arizona.

All for now.... like a 'kid in a candy store''.... or in my case, a ''grown up in an Assembly plant.''

andy (ajb)

Very exciting Andy, can't wait to see pictures, congratulations to you and Margaret.

Paging Mr. Chip Beck to the delivery room... Sounds like your baby is about to be delivered! :thumbsup

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Andy,

It's going to be nice to see your car added to the NGT population in Detroit!

Exciting times. Enjoy the wait.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Congrats buddy.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Congrats Andy! Very descriptive, even without seeing pics I can visualize your experience. The end is near for you and some other very worthy forum members!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Great to hear Andy, what a sight it is. Unsuspecting front entrance opens up to the most amazing place, for GT owners, on earth. Nice to know they were looking out for "98". I look forward to seeing the pix when you get it home.

Cheers
Trent

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
........and VIN 00034 - Yellow/black fully completed with a note on the IP that said "Final Inspection " :):) I think this car goes to Arizona.

Gentlemen,

I still can't believe this is real. I haven't wanted anything this much since the birth of my son Charley. Yes, a new baby #34. Unreal.

Chip

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
How fun! Congratulations, Andy. Can't wait to see some photos and hear about your first impressions when you get your new GT.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Seriously cool Andy. Seriously cool.

Congrats!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Andy isn't simply out of this world!!! Great write up.
It is frkn amazing to see the car in static action. The assembly is something I have never seen before ever.
Thanks for seeing 88 . I knew it was in final inspection. Glad you like it and approve.
Chip we should be getting our cars very soon.
I agree it is worth the flight, drive, sail, etc to go see this plant if you get the chance.
I want to go again and again!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congratulations Andy, great write up on your GT. Very happy for you. My GT got home before me and perfect. Thanks again for your hard work at Rally 12. Just a note to all, the transport driver and his wife who took my GT to Utah called to check on Sue and I yesterday while we were driving from Austin to Houston trying to get home. Can't beat that as well as my Concierge Megan to check on us. GT are rolling South out of Canada to Forum members and I'm very happy to all. Believe me the long wait is WORTH IT!!!!'

Fordcarsforfun

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2016

Some Comments :

7 . I did see VIN 00088 in the light tube booth (Gulf Blue) for final inspection
8 . and VIN 00034 - Yellow/black fully completed with a note on the IP that said "Final Inspection " :):) I think this car goes to Arizona.

andy (ajb)
That's incredible, many congrats!!! I found out titanium exhaust started the beginning of this week and am extremely excited!!! I hope it is worth the wait for the exhaust. I am car number 80 and had moments of weakness on scraping the exhaust so I would receive it sooner but now I'm happy I waited. I hope to visit the plant soon, sounds well worth the time and effort!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Happy for you buddy !! Thanks for being a big help at the rally !!

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Congrats!! You deserve it!! Looking forward to the forthcoming pics after delivery

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congrats Andy! Well deserved for both of you. What a ride the past 2 1/2 years have been [emoji469]

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
When an assembly plant guy tells me I need to go to an assembly plant...I'm going. Thanks Andy. It was a pleasure meeting and chatting at the Rally. Congrats and enjoy the ride!