Cracked rear glass

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Blame it on the eclipse. That what my Magic 8 Ball said. I'm a true believer.

Last year it would have blamed The Donald, Hillary or Bernie.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Was anyone listening to Barry Manilow or Michael Bolton? That could be a problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did hear Bannister rolling up listening to Justin Bieber....but that doesn't apply here and is for a whole other thread.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ok, so the guy with the dirtiest car has a theory as well. Mine has not cracked, but perhaps people cleaning them put some extra stress on the glass. Anyone see any correlation here? Strange that it happened, all at one spot and point in time possibly related to cleaning the glass inside and out.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Ok, so the guy with the dirtiest car has a theory as well. Mine has not cracked, but perhaps people cleaning them put some extra stress on the glass. Anyone see any correlation here? Strange that it happened, all at one spot and point in time possibly related to cleaning the glass inside and out.

A few more responses like this and I may have to use Merlin and twik your device!!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Mine was while driving... had not touched the glass for over a week... by the way, my insurance is paying for the replacement 100% no deductible.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
From my experience(s) with that part of the country, in some strange way it is not a glass friendly area, seriously.
I completely restored and customized my F250 hunting truck, and in four separate trips to northern Utah and southern Wyoming area my windshield was replaced twice and already needs to be replaced again. Right now it has several large fish eyes from impacts just driving on pavement. I am going to leave it alone until it starts cracking.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I have inquiries in to figure out what the hell that was all about. It's not like we've never been at altitude or in heat before. So bizarre. At least one cracked on the way before hitting the SLC area.

Dave, Have you heard anything from your inquires? Some here have mentioned that there are 3 panes of glass, but according to the maintenance manual, there appears to be only 2 panes of glass unless I am reading it wrong somewhere. The manual calls this rear cockpit glass the "Midlight Glass". The inside cockpit side of the glass is broken in mine. My seat doesn't come anywhere near the inside glass when shoved hard all the way rearward, there is at least a 1 inch clearance, so that didn't cause my window to break. I remember hearing it make a loud snapping sound, but ignored it at the time and now I can't remember under what conditions I had heard it.

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Dave, Have you heard anything from your inquires? Some here have mentioned that there are 3 panes of glass, but according to the maintenance manual, there appears to be only 2 panes of glass unless I am reading it wrong somewhere. The manual calls this rear cockpit glass the "Midlight Glass". The inside cockpit side of the glass is broken in mine. My seat doesn't come anywhere near the inside glass when shoved hard all the way rearward, there is at least a 1 inch clearance, so that didn't cause my window to break. I remember hearing it make a loud snapping sound, but ignored it at the time and now I can't remember under what conditions I had heard it.
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Any updates?

+1

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Old age is generally better than the alternative.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Agreed.

At Rally 6 in SLC and on the track I don’t recall anyone having a cracked mid window.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Were we not at higher altitudes this trip? Also maybe hotter this year than last visit there? Maybe the combo of the two? Anyway mine was repaired and fully covered by insurance with no deductible

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Were we not at higher altitudes this trip? Also maybe hotter this year than last visit there? Maybe the combo of the two? Anyway mine was repaired and fully covered by insurance with no deductible
Who repaired yours, dealer, body shop, yourself? I don't trust anyone locally so was considering doing it myself if it's not too difficult. I have the repair manuals.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I had our local car tuner/mechanic and a local glass company do the install. I bought the glass from a Ford dealer friend. He sold me the glass for around $850 (retail I think was around $1,200) and the install was around $350. My insurance company covered the entire invoice... I think they do have a deductable on the front windshield but not on this glass.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
My car has been at a Ford dealership for 4 weeks just for this repair!! They received broken piece of replacement glass initially, then have been questioning the need for replacement of the rubber stripping at the bottom of the glass and in spite of repeatedly telling them that the glass is glued in, the are discussing with Detroit how to proceed. I gave them Rich Brooks phone number weeks ago, and only recently have they tried to contact him! Very disgusted! Shoud have shipped car to Rich instead!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Don't blame you for being upset.
That's crazy.
Go get your car back and forget about using that dealership in the future!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
That's my experience with the local Ford Dealer. There just aren't enough FGTs in this area for them to stay current on the repair procedures. I'm going to see if there's someone in Mobile AL that works on a lot of FGTs. However, I'll probably end up doing it myself because of the logistics.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
My car has been at a Ford dealership for 4 weeks just for this repair!! They received broken piece of replacement glass initially, then have been questioning the need for replacement of the rubber stripping at the bottom of the glass and in spite of repeatedly telling them that the glass is glued in, the are discussing with Detroit how to proceed. I gave them Rich Brooks phone number weeks ago, and only recently have they tried to contact him! Very disgusted! Shoud have shipped car to Rich instead!

Tachy, we have an amazing FGT tech here in Sarasota. My car is with him now for some routine work. He is the only one that will touch your car at Sarasota Ford - Rick Weidenroth. Highly recommended. Let me know if you need any other info.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Tachy, we have an amazing FGT tech here in Sarasota. My car is with him now for some routine work. He is the only one that will touch your car at Sarasota Ford - Rick Weidenroth. Highly recommended. Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks. I have informed the dealer who has my car that I am picking it up this Friday whether completed or not!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Update.....I was able to purchase a replacement glass and had Rich Roback take care of the installation with the help of a glass shop in Scottsdale. Apparently it was a real PITA to replace but Rich was able to handle it for me drama-free. A shout out to Rich for a job well done!

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Thanks. I have informed the dealer who has my car that I am picking it up this Friday whether completed or not!

Sounds like they have treated you and your car pretty poorly