Rally 12 early bird road trip Eclipse viewing

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
For anyone getting to the rally early enough and wants to travel up north with a group of GT’s to experience the full eclipse we will be meeting at the hotel at 7:00 am Monday morning and pulling out at 7:15 am sharp heading towards Alpine Wyoming. Let us know if you would like to be included.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Good luck with traffic jams. There are already reports of heavy traffic.

“We are fully expecting that every single road going up into Wyoming or Nebraska is going to be packed,” Fiel said.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2017/08/17/eclipse-2017-colorado-wyoming-traffic/573055001/

We are expecting to lose the whole day along I-80 in Nebraska.

I have a complete clutch/pressure plate/flywheel/throwout bearing/pilot bearing assembly I could bring along. :lol

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
We don't arrive till Monday afternoon on a Delta Flight from Detroit...
BUT......I wonder if we will be able to see the Eclipse from the Airplane..?
Anyone know about this ? I will ask the flight attendants when we board...

andy (ajb)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'm headed out on Monday..coincidently I'll be driving the eclipse path most of the day. Eastern Washington-eatern Oregon and hopefully into Idaho. The news this evening said AVOID eastern Oregon (which is mostly desert) traffic is already 2000% above normal. And that's 4 days before the skywatcher event! See you in Utah..just not sure when.

For Andy and everyone on the road Monday: Eclipse-Times.jpg

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Jeff - thanks..

Our flight from Detroit will be going right under the path of the shadow but we may be a bit early.
I hope it does not cause any 'gamma rays' or 'zircon encrusted pellets' to fall on our plane....or your car. !!

andy (andy)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I've got my Tin Man foil hats prepared and am thinking about taking a mid morning nap about 10 a.m.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...and for those traveling by car into totality (and totality it must be...partial is nothing...you want solar corona, stars out at noon, sudden temperature drop, animals freaking out...you must have totality) think about this...as bad as the traffic will be going in it will be spread out over several days, but everybody will try to leave at the same time. :ack

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
John as discussed via text we are in.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
For anyone getting to the rally early enough and wants to travel up north with a group of GT’s to experience the full eclipse we will be meeting at the hotel at 7:00 am Monday morning and pulling out at 7:15 am sharp heading towards Alpine Wyoming. Let us know if you would like to be included.

Blimey you'll drive right past our hotel on the way!

We're around the whole week now (literally just booked it all) so do you think it's ok to pop down and see you at the track? Just a rare chance to see the cars being put through their paces! Doesn't matter if not, but it would be great to catch up with people from the Austin Rally 11 (even Dr Frank :lol)

We'll be in our cheap Nissan hire car. Anyone's welcome to have a good look round that if they fancy :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Phil, would be nice to see you, but better clear a visit to the track through DBK.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Phil, would be nice to see you, but better clear a visit to the track through DBK.

Yup, I dropped him a line yesterday to ask just that. Would never turn up at a party uninvited!

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Yup, I dropped him a line yesterday to ask just that. Would never turn up at a party uninvited!

Look me up Phil if you show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Look me up Phil if you show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do!

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Some people left here at 3 am, ugh!

We're in Afton and leaving now. Roads look fine at the moment.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
View from room deck. Not full here but may be good enough

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 171

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
We are on the way back from the eclipse viewing. It was absolutely awesome and well worth the drive! No traffic going into Alpine and leaving out was not bad at all.
329a81a3c3d83742f0c1f787d75f2220.png
683d1a0cf0740de0f0d7c001b500ded0.jpg
16a80eb651b10d1cdc0aec164ba38230.jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Where your tin foil hat?

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Where your tin foil hat?

Exactly. Bunch of amateurs :lol

How to do it properly!

1) Get the right kit

IMG_3460.jpg

2) Drive to middle of nowhere with nobody around

IMG_3461.jpg

3) Important bit. Put hat on.

IMG_3462.jpg

4) Watch 2 minutes and 20 seconds of the most amazing thing I've seen.

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

e1.jpg

Sorry about the sideways pics, mobile so haven't got the tools to fix them here.