Jump starting ford gt

clemmon77

Apr 13, 2016
My battery died and I need to jump start the car. Does anyone have any advice on doing this and where the jumper locations are in the car. The battery seems like it is in a hard locaiton to get to. I had the battery replaced in January but I didn't put the trickle charger on the car after the last outing so shame on me.

Thanks in advance. Any help and advice is appreciated.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Getting to battery is not hard. Just remove the trunk tray....a few twist pins. I just used my small battery pack, connected properly. Starts right up.
While you have the tray removed and battery visible, clean check, tighten terminals. Especially the ground strap to frame.
This could be part of your issue.
Good luck.
Andy (ajb)

clemmon77

Apr 13, 2016
thanks Andy!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would not jump start it with a live car and jumper cables. Instead I would disconnect the positive terminal and attach a charger. You do have to remove the liner as above but you should be able to make the connections with the battery in the car. This is from my experience trying to jump a red top in my Cobra.

Somebody here (Cooltech?) sells a trickle charger setup that includes a cable that goes from the battery to a terminal that is hidden from view but accessible from the front. Connection takes a few seconds (but don't forget to disconnect it before driving away!)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't use one of the super duper heavy duty chargers cause you may boil the battery. There are old threads about this and the damage they cause. Pop the clutch to start if you can.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Much easier method for trickle charging. Get a cigar lighter adapter and plug it. The lighter is directly connected to the battery bus. That's how I do it and my battery is 12 years old.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Technically, I think many of you are saying "trickle" chargers when you are referring to "float" chargers. Trickle charging is a (good) technique to fully charge a battery with a low current flow for a very finite connection time - often not exceeding 12 hours. In contrast, float chargers are intended to remain connected to the battery while the car is parked and these float chargers will "float" on and off as needed to keep the battery topped off. I often see the terms inter-mixed but it is important to have them straight if shopping for a specific solution.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
OEM Ford GT charger~ $90 from ford dealer or Torrie

Wire will fit between door sill and rubber strip with no damage to paint, sill, rubber.

25ft cord so you open door and plug in and shut and ur done; no need to leave window open.

I keep mine plugged in side of garage wall 24/7 and reach over while still in car and plug in to cigarette port after I come back form ride.

No status lights; but adapter warm to touch when working.

Came with original owners package: cover, manuals, etc; in nice zippered pouch, should have anyway.

Last edited:

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Here is how how you pop the clutch in France when the truck brings your Gt with no juice!!!!!!!!!!!!

jump start Le Mans.jpg