Rally 12 Tip #4

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Don't know how many this will apply to, but very important information if you are hauling your car to Park City. I trailer my cars 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year to track events and shows and there are things that need attention and checked before heading to the Rally.

#1 Tire pressure. There is a tire pressure range on you trailer tires, make sure your pressure is in that range. Always carry a spare!!!

#2 Bearing tightness. Jack up the trailer and shake the tire side to side. If any play side to side remove the dust cap and tighten the axil nut as needed to remove play.

#3 Make sure your bearings have been serviced/greased recently.

#4 Electric brakes. With the wheels off the ground spin the tires and have some one press/trip the trailer brake system. Wheel should lock up and stop.

#5 Check that your lights, turn lights and break lights are working correctly.

#6 Car tie downs. Make sure you car is tied down to prevent any movement of the car in the trailer.
(My grandson said to prevent a total disaster LOL)

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks, Blake. Just going through all that now.
Also bring extra fuses for the tow vehicle. My trailer lights went out on a Sunday night in the middle of Iowa once!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Something I learned recently when I was preparing the trailer for a trip in June. I had a race spin, so I needed a new drum. Went off to the trailer place, and for my Dexter axles, the new drum and bearings were only $70. I now carry a drum and bearing kit as part of my spares. Ive always carried bearings, races and seals, but changing out the whole assembly is much easier than beating out races and pressing new ones in while on the side of the road (I know as Ive done it).

Also I carry 2 spare tires. If you get a flat it sucks looking for another spare at your destination, as I would not want to make the return trip with out one.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Blake and Andy!
All good advice for those trailering their cars to the rally.
This will be another spectacular event!