clear bra

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
so I needed to practice my clear bra technique and get used to working with expel since it is the film most are putting on their new GT. What better way to practice than on another car. This time I chose my SLS to be the guinea pig. I did the full front of the car including full fenders hood mirrors and bumper. somehow they forgot to send me the headlights but Ill get that done at a later date.

the hardest part was the bumper, other relatively flat pieces were not too bad, there is definitely a learning curve on using the material. I think the 3M stuff is better, at least it goes on easier but, the healing properties of expel that everyone talks about has me interested so I guess time will tell.

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

it came out ok Im happy with it, and it was good practice for later...

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 164

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Looks great and car is gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Soroush or others: I had clear bra film (Suntek) put on the front half of my GT a couple months ago. The installer was not keen on putting it on the headlights, said he's seen problems getting it back off and causing cracking of the flexible headlight lenses on Corvettes. What's your experience?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
"Lamin-X" is inexpensive, pre-cut and easy to apply for headlights.

Howard

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Looks great. I just did my black GT350 R using 3M Pro. I couldn't get the complex curves on the bumper to adhere with the 3M, so went with Expel and it came out great. I've done about 20 cars and find that 3M takes quite a while to set up and adhere. Flat pieces are easy, but complex curves do much better with Expel or Llumar which also has a clear coat top finish.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Soroush or others: I had clear bra film (Suntek) put on the front half of my GT a couple months ago. The installer was not keen on putting it on the headlights, said he's seen problems getting it back off and causing cracking of the flexible headlight lenses on Corvettes. What's your experience?

With high quality 3M or Expel, no problem with headlights. I've done many and removed several no problem.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

PeteK, I have not had any experience on taking film off of any headlight this was literally the first time I have done clear bra in more than 10 years, I did my 03 M5 and that bumper was difficult... however I never took any of it off,, I had my black gt done right after we painted the car about 7 years ago and unfortunately those guys did a terrible job I don't even remember what they used, next I will be redoing the black GT and I will have gained some experience on taking off film to which I will post and share my results, I will use a heat gun which is what I wanted to comment about below regarding Tim's reply....

Looks great. I just did my black GT350 R using 3M Pro. I couldn't get the complex curves on the bumper to adhere with the 3M, so went with Expel and it came out great. I've done about 20 cars and find that 3M takes quite a while to set up and adhere. Flat pieces are easy, but complex curves do much better with Expel or Llumar which also has a clear coat top finish.

Tim did you use a heat gun when applying the 3M product I found that expel did conform to the curves easily but it also was more frail than the 3M and needed more caution not to mare or scratch the film ..

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Mean looking SLS (the only Benz I would own :biggrin), and good job on the clear bra install. Anyone here with experience removing the clear bra installed over the stripes in front of the rear tire without damage to the stripes? (I had the old Venture Shield bra installed 10 years ago, it's time to remove/replace with the much better Sun Tek or Xpel).

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im on my 3rd film, removal isn't fun. Very hard on the hands. My 1st film left a lot of adhesive, was very time consuming to clean off. Second film came off much better, except the passenger rocker (must be the heat of the cooling tubes). I don't have stripes, but their paint so I would guess be no issues. Side stripes and "Ford GT" are vinyl, I have peeled the stripes and left the Ford GT, I had gen 2 film over it, and I was able to get the film off with out lifting the vinyl.

Anyone here with experience removing the clear bra installed over the stripes in front of the rear tire without damage to the stripes? (I had the old Venture Shield bra installed 10 years ago, it's time to remove/replace with the much better Sun Tek or Xpel).

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Depends on the material, but leave the car out in the sun to warm it up and use a heat gun. You'll still tear up your fingers though. If you don't use a heat gun, and it's older, harder clear bra, it will be painful.

Also, don't just pull it down. Pull it up and away so it releases as you stretch it and it will leave less adhesive, which is the biggest pain in the ass.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I found goof off to be the best adhesive remover for almost any situation that requires careful removal of adhesive residue over a finished surface. it is a fine balance between effectiveness to remove product residue but not ruin the clear coat when I was doing the lower rocker panels there were quit a bit of adhesive residue I suspect it had film installed at one point, goof off took it off with relative ease. Note: goof off is a solvent and a strong one at that so use with caution test an area first and you definitely don't want that stuff to remain on the finished surface any longer than it has to.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Thanks Gents, will tackle this carefully and ever so slowly, if the stripes starts peeling off with the bra it'll be the last bra I take off :lol :lol :lol

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Use a cloths steamer and it will help make the removal much easier and safer for the paint.
3M adhesive remover is the best thing I have found to remove the residue.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Thanks Venum, just went yesterday and purchased a heat gun and a steamer, never thought I would be shopping Aunt Bee's store for a clothe steamer when I purchased my GT :facepalm: