Excess gear whine from transaxle

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Stock Ratio? Are Non-stock Ratios still available?

stock ratio.. I hope to have some news to release about 3.90s be coming available again soon here. Also wear item service parts

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I have no experience to know what mild vs moderate wear looks like on gears, but it seems to me there is nothing real drastic looking here. I can't feel any change in the surface with a finger or fingernail.

I'm interested in any feedback, but it makes me think that not only was Chip right about not worrying about about driving it with the gear whine, but that I could probably have driven it til I'm 90 years old without any repair. But I couldn't stand listening to it.

I think there is more to see on the pinion than the ring. Looking at the the small end of the pinion teeth, it looks to me like the contact was too far towards the outside of the gears. (bottom pic)

Attachments

• IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Whatever it is, I'm glad you got it fixed and can now drive confident something bad isn't about to happen.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Whatever it is, I'm glad you got it fixed and can now drive confident something bad isn't about to happen.

Thanks Steve - Car season is here, we need to cook up a reason to get together : )

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
At the very least, I would check into having those polished and cryo'd and hang onto them as a spare set....just in case.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
At the very least, I would check into having those polished and cryo'd and hang onto them as a spare set....just in case.

Yep I am good at hanging on to car parts : ) I did have the new set that got installed micropolished.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Thanks Steve - Car season is here, we need to cook up a reason to get together : )

How about a late lunch (1:00) tomorrow at Twin Peaks at Colorado Mills? Or a late late lunch (3:00) at the Keg? That's roughly midway between us and they have outdoor seating with ample parking (lot in view). I could even do dinner at the Keg, love that place.

Posting here vs PM since all other Denverites are welcome!