Need Help - Pine tree sap on paint ..cannot remove.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Several blobs of pine tree sap fell on my black MustangShelby GT 500. I went to wash the car and when I did with car wash detergent , it just streaked the sap across the car in 8 inch long streaks.. 4 or 5 places/

I figured it would be simple to take of with wax or detailer...IT WAS NOT..
so I tried (in order ):
1. full wet with WD40 and gentle finger rub to melt it... No effect.!
2. Bug tar remover in a can.... no impact whatsoever.
3. Machine oil - 3in1 oil ... figured it would melt it.. No effect.
4. Paint thinner - full strength with careful finger rubber .. no effect.
5. Baby Oil (Megan tried) wet, finger rub , wipe , buff ... no effect!!

I really do not want to use white polishing compound but this may be my only alternative...and remove some of the clear coat.
Has anyone any ideas ? I can't imagine what a mess this would be if the car had a MATTE Finish...!
All Ideas accepted..
thanks,

andy (ajb)

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Are you sure it was pine sap? Paint thinner has always worked for me. If it starts to get dried on, lacquer thinner or mid-temp reducer will work. Polish and wax afterwards.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Andy, please try a clay bar. Several companies make them (McGuires. Mothers). They work great on this stuff. They usually come with a wetting agent.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Yep, clay bar has always worked for me.

Simple Green is somewhat helpful too

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Mineral spirits is what we use, if it is tree sap.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Hi Andy,
I think Goo Gone citrus works pretty well for these type problems and is usually available at Auto Zone, Walmart etc...I have heard that Goof Off is pretty strong, (Home Depot) and I would be concerned about the paint.
We have had pretty good luck with Molecule products. I think they can be found on Amazon. It might be worth a try.
http://www.moleculemotorsports.com/shop/vehicle-care/cleaner-16-oz-sprayer/
Molecule also has an adhesive remover I have used on wheel weight sticker glue, and it worked well with no damage to the wheel finish.
http://www.moleculemotorsports.com/shop/vehicle-care/adhesive-residue-cleaner-16-oz/
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Mike Mosing told me the way to clean it is with Cabernet and a clay bar. First you drink a glass of Cabernet then use the clay bar on the paint.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I have used 3M adhesive remover.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I try denatured alcohol.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Goof off. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Applied carefully, it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have used 3M adhesive remover.

This has always worked best for me.
Doesn't hurt the paint,
Best,
Mark

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just bring it over here. We'll get it off if it's possible.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Hi Andy,
I think Goo Gone citrus works pretty well for these type problems and is usually available at Auto Zone, Walmart etc...I have heard that Goof Off is pretty strong, (Home Depot) and I would be concerned about the paint.
We have had pretty good luck with Molecule products. I think they can be found on Amazon. It might be worth a try.
http://www.moleculemotorsports.com/shop/vehicle-care/cleaner-16-oz-sprayer/
Molecule also has an adhesive remover I have used on wheel weight sticker glue, and it worked well with no damage to the wheel finish.
http://www.moleculemotorsports.com/shop/vehicle-care/adhesive-residue-cleaner-16-oz/
Hope this helps.

^^^ Citrus is the key. Orange solvent is a safe biodegradable, non corrosive, non abrasive dissolver of organic goos like tree sap. It will strip wax tho. Good on oils and tar that isn't too hardened.

Many of the hand towels in a tub have it, watch out for the towel itself tho, some of them are soft, some abrasive. Also available in a oil like fluid. Tho it tastes like total shit, it is safe enough to use in the mouth in small quantities (meaning safe). Works well on a soft cotton ball, gentle action, plenty of saturation time.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ords=orange+solvent&rh=i:aps,k:orange+solvent

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I have used DX 330 Adhesive & Wax remover many times.

Auto body shop recommended it to me. They use it prior to re-painting.

Available at auto body paint stores.

Requires you to re-clay bar and re-wax.

Not sure if you have clear bra or not.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Try these; in descending order

-3M Adhesive remover (aerosol can)

-Stoner Tarminator (works better than ANY tar, insect, etc remover)

-Cup of boiling hot water, paper towel: soak single paper towel and dab; will liquify sap; dry towel to sop up.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
THANKS TO EVERYONE. I WILL TRY THESE SUGGESTIONS.
Dave.. if I cannot remove myself , I will bring to ICON.
thank you.
Andy (ajb)

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
NO ! NO! NO ! NO!

Buy ORANGE-SOL 10151/52 Contractor Solvent: Car Care - Amazon.com

This will not damage your finish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use micro fiber towels only...... may need to reapply wax.

https://www.amazon.com/ORANGE-SOL-10151-52-Contractor-Solvent/dp/B000C025KQ

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I had fresh - one day - stains and used microfiber towel in hot soapy water to soak over the sap, and then clear water microfiber to remove. Needed to be repeated in some areas. Back to normal with quick detailer.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Be careful with goof off. I used it on a motorhome with a high end paint job and ended up ruining the paint. It has acetone in it I learned, after I wrecked the paint. If you use this for any reason on paint, don't leave it on very long. I ended up having to repaint the section I ruined, an expensive lesson.

Rick

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Goof off. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Applied carefully, it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good off works great. Don't get on clear bra unless you want to replace it.