HELP! Mac Radio removal

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
In the process of removing Mac unit. Removed the side trim pieces, then inserted the removal tool on passenger side easily and it 'clicked". Now however I am stuck. There is no gap on driver side to slide tool in place!! Tried a small screwdriver to try to slide radio unit over, but not budging. Can't remove the passenger side tool cause itis pulling on the radio unit! Someone save me!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I did the same. Get one side free, then pull the tool out. With some wiggling and elbow grease it will come out. Then shift the radio to the other side to get the tool in. It's tight but works. After the second "unclicks" you should be able to get both tools in enough to pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Only the pass side tool is in place, but it will not come loose as it is clipped into the radio.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Was finally able to get the pass side removal tool out by bending the small retaining tab on the radio 180 degrees backward to free it up. Now of course, the tool will not reinsert. Aborting the project in hope of some assistance at the rally!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
GT guys period

Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Hmmm, was going to do the same this weekend and install the BT adaptor, but now I'm a little gun shy...subscribing...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Eh...I don't recall an issue. You have to be sure the tools are between the box and the head unit...not between the box and the console. Pretty sure that's right! You can shove the tool where it doesn't belong, but the correct way doesn't require much force.

Insert both tool tips at the same time, then push them both all the way in until they click. Inserting the tools simultaneously keeps the head unit from being pushed to one side.

I only did this once years ago, but that's my recollection.

If I got in a jam, I'd take it to Best Buy or some other car stereo guy. Taking the head unit out does not require a GT expert.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And take lots of blue tape

ctalisman1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 21, 2016
Houston Texas
Hi
Does anyone know where I can buy the tool(s) needed to remove my Mac radio for 2005 Ford GT

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
They are standard DIN removal tools. Try Best Buy or (if you have one) Fry's.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Order from Torrie Northwood GT may have.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I bought a “master” set of radio removal tools off of Amazon. I think it was around $15.00. Remember lots of blue painter’s tape.
Hi
Does anyone know where I can buy the tool(s) needed to remove my Mac radio for 2005 Ford GT